Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: SkyHawk Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 12:59 PM
Church plans Quran-burning event

This is a Very Bad Idea!

Why is it so hard for some 'christians' to understand the Message?

If I were within a days drive from there, I would show up in solidarity with Muslims everywhere. (... and I am neither Christian nor Muslim....)

(CNN) -- In protest of what it calls a religion "of the devil," a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.
The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"We believe that Islam is of the devil, that it's causing billions of people to go to hell, it is a deceptive religion, it is a violent religion and that is proven many, many times," Pastor Terry Jones told CNN's Rick Sanchez earlier this week.

Posted By: Schlack Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 01:07 PM
Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings.
Posted By: SkyHawk Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 01:12 PM
Indeed.

Posted By: Greger Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 01:47 PM
The name of the church is:
The Dove World Outreach Center
The symbol they chose is one of peace, the action they are taking is one of war.
The motivation for the September 11 attack was political. Turning it into a Christ vs. Mohamed conflict because the attackers shared a religion is a serious mistake.
Had they been Christians, would they be burning Bibles?
Had they been Jews would they be burning Torahs?
Good Lord, just imagine if they had all been Black.
Posted By: SkyHawk Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 02:03 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, Greger.
Posted By: humphreysmar Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 03:21 PM
Referencing Sky's Round Table post: I'm sad to say the following, but this link shows more of today's "christianity at work" than what took place with the clerk talking to the robber. Or are they that different? The clerk's plea ends selfishly when her last persuasive point is she'll be respnsibilite for the money. And this Dove representative is nothing but self, his way or etc?

So, Sky, did you intend my current interpretation or am I reading too much between the lines?
Posted By: SkyHawk Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 03:41 PM
Umm... gosh 'mar... he didn't kill her... she doesn't hate him... robbery didn't happen...

Damn those 'christians' for speaking from their hearts when they are scared sh!t!ess.

Of course, 'mar... you're interpretation is correct.
Posted By: Joe Keegan Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 04:09 PM
Why and what's the agenda?
Posted By: humphreysmar Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by SkyHawk
Umm... gosh 'mar... he didn't kill her... she doesn't hate him... robbery didn't happen...

Damn those 'christians' for speaking from their hearts when they are scared sh!t!ess.

Of course, 'mar... you're interpretation is correct.

We do need a sacasm emoticon.
Posted By: SkyHawk Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 05:00 PM
Heh, heh.... cool

Been looking for one.
Posted By: Slipped Mickey Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 05:00 PM
Hatred in his name. Jesus must be well pleased with Pastor Jones. It's so evangelical.
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 07:38 PM
This one church and congregation are taking the Lord's name in vain when they commit this act. It is a form of blasphemy. Jesus would be saying "Get Thee behind me, Satan!" to them. As a Christian myself, I am deeply offended by this act of hatred and evil.
Posted By: 2wins Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 10:28 PM
islam is a violent religion? pot, kettle, black
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by 2wins

Exactly-and two wrongs don't make a right. either.
If God is paying attention, they will set their own church on fire during the Koran-burning...
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 07/31/10 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
If God is paying attention, they will set their own church on fire during the Koran-burning...

Heheheh...
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 03:01 AM

But even if Islam IS a violent religion (playing devil's advocate) what good does it do to commit this act?
I can't think of anything that this will accomplish, except to
make this church the equal of every radical jihadist sect that has done violence in Allah's name.
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler

But even if Islam IS a violent religion (playing devil's advocate) what good does it do to commit this act?
I can't think of anything that this will accomplish, except to
make this church the equal of every radical jihadist sect that has done violence in Allah's name.
Oh, I would think that they would not gain equality with every such group simply by burning a book. To gain equal stature, they would probably have to do some beheadin', throat-cuttin', stonin', and other bits of mischief, don'cha think?:-)
Yours,
Issodhos
Posted By: Greger Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 04:47 AM
Stonin' and beheadin' and whatnot are all good christian traditions, 'specially when it comes to godless Mohammedans.
Fact is it goes clear back to the Crusades. It's not limited just to the Musselmen though. Christians have hanged, tortured, burned and pretty much everything you can imagine in His name. Even our most recent President, a devout Christian, felt it was perfectly okay to torture Muzlims. While many claimed that our current president was a follower of Mohamed as near as I can tell even he has done little to curtail the abuse of non Christians by American Christian Soldiers.
This bookburnin' is just one of a long line of sins equal to or greater than any committed by adherents to that other faith.
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
Stonin' and beheadin' and whatnot are all good christian traditions, 'specially when it comes to godless Mohammedans.
Fact is it goes clear back to the Crusades. It's not limited just to the Musselmen though. Christians have hanged, tortured, burned and pretty much everything you can imagine in His name. Even our most recent President, a devout Christian, felt it was perfectly okay to torture Muzlims. While many claimed that our current president was a follower of Mohamed as near as I can tell even he has done little to curtail the abuse of non Christians by American Christian Soldiers.
This bookburnin' is just one of a long line of sins equal to or greater than any committed by adherents to that other faith.
That's not gonna work, Greger. The poster was referring to current-day jihadist sects, and the comparison was between religious bodies, not states or the creatures that run them. But then, you knew that already.;-)
Yours,
Issodhos
Posted By: Irked Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 05:24 PM
So, the division between state and church was readily apparent in AD 1100?

So, the division between Jihadist sects and government (or what passes for government) is readily apparent in places like Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia . . . ?
Posted By: Greger Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 06:49 PM
But then, you knew that already
Of course I knew it! But I'd never let the facts come between me and a good rant...
Posted By: olyve Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 08:34 PM
This kind of thing absolutely brings me to my knees in despair.

And we wonder why they hate us???
It makes me want to cry.

My guess is the students are getting organized.
I hope anyway.
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Irked
So, the division between state and church was readily apparent in AD 1100?

So, the division between Jihadist sects and government (or what passes for government) is readily apparent in places like Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia . . . ?
The poster was not referring to AD1100, but he was referring to a specific church in Florida, Irked.;-)
Yours,
Issodhos
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by olyve
This kind of thing absolutely brings me to my knees in despair.

And we wonder why they hate us???
It makes me want to cry.

My guess is the students are getting organized.
I hope anyway.
Think if it as an exercise in free speech, olyve.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos
Posted By: olyve Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/01/10 09:25 PM
I do, Issodhos.
That doesn't make it any better for me.
Posted By: Irked Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/02/10 01:22 AM
And the point is? That individuals of sect cannot reflect opinions held by many well beyond the sect? That government's cannot passively sponsor third parties that promote positions that ostensively run counter to government position? That atrocities committed by a "sect" in the name of a deity are more/less horrendous than atrocities commit by a "government" in the name of the sovereign?

Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/02/10 02:30 AM
And the point is? That individuals of sect cannot reflect opinions held by many well beyond the sect? That government's cannot passively sponsor third parties that promote positions that ostensively run counter to government position? That atrocities committed by a "sect" in the name of a deity are more/less horrendous than atrocities commit by a "government" in the name of the sovereign?
The point is that the poster was referring to a single specific small church in Florida in comparison to current Jihadist sects. Various responses were attempts to use the argument of moral equivalence (belatedly thanking numan for correcting my spelling of the word:-)). Nothing more.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos
P.s. Good to see you emerging from your Colbert-like slumber, Irked. ThumbsUp
Posted By: Greger Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/02/10 04:49 AM
This really not related to what has come before it, it simply dawns on me that I don't ever recall an American based Mosque having any Bible burning parties.
Posted By: Irked Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/02/10 05:09 AM
Ah. Well. Obviously, at any level, there can be no moral equivalence between acts done in the name of Christianity and acts done in the name of Islam.
Posted By: rporter314 Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/02/10 08:31 PM
So let's burn all written media ... kewl ... free speech at work and at it's best .... or is it really an exercise in idiocy ... could be both ... how about ... hmmm ... nsa probably listening and tacitly coercing me not to exercise my right to free speech ... so maybe there really isn't a right to free speech ... so what are those people really doing? ... perhaps ... nope don't want to say that either ... think i'll quit when i think i am ahead or just ahead of nsa
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/03/10 12:24 AM
Ah. Well. Obviously, at any level, there can be no moral equivalence between acts done in the name of Christianity and acts done in the name of Islam.
Well, of course one can, Irked, one must simply be honest enough to compare apples to apples.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos
Posted By: Irked Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/03/10 12:42 AM
There are no other apples to compare to the apple of Christianity, the one and only True religion.
Posted By: issodhos Re: Church plans Quran-burning event - 08/03/10 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by rporter314
So let's burn all written media ... kewl ... free speech at work and at it's best .... or is it really an exercise in idiocy ... could be both ... how about ... hmmm ... nsa probably listening and tacitly coercing me not to exercise my right to free speech ... so maybe there really isn't a right to free speech ... so what are those people really doing? ... perhaps ... nope don't want to say that either ... think i'll quit when i think i am ahead or just ahead of nsa

Oh goodness, rporter314, free speech need not be at its best to be exercised. For example, one might not think it to be free speech "at its best" when burning the American flag, or when immersing a crucifix in a urine-filled jar, or splattering feces on a painting of the Madonna. But, it is an exercise in freedom of speech/expression -- and that is a natural right. Get over it.;-)
Yours,
Issodhos
© ReaderRant