Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Ardy GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 11:56 AM
At first glance, this seems like an april fool joke....
but the picture looks real
US carmaker General Motors is joining with scooter maker Segway to make a new type of two-seat electric vehicle.

The prototype, which will be debuted in New York, is aimed at urban driving. GM aims to start making them by 2012.

The vehicle, named Puma, can go as far as 35 miles on a single charge. It will use lithium-ion batteries.

GM, having been bailed out by the US government as car sales have dropped, is looking to smaller vehicles to secure its future.

Puma stands for personal urban mobility and accessibility.
link
Posted By: loganrbt Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 02:10 PM
Makes perfect sense. BMW had a motorcycle very similar in appearance a few years back. Never brought it to the states; I was going to buy one. This is an even better concept. But Segway announced they were folding several weeks ago, so that makes me wonder.
Posted By: itstarted Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 02:34 PM
I watched the debut on the "Today Show" this AM.
I was much less than impressed. It looked kinda like a bigger, 2 person Segway, with training wheels, and didn't inspire much confidence from a safety standpoint.
They asked the rep what the price would be, and he mumbled something that sounded like 1/3rd the price of a ???... If so... I'd predict a limited success.
We live near the Villages in Florida, and the newest style golfcarts are much more impressive. But.. some of the golf carts also sell for nearly $40,000.

Posted By: Greger Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 03:07 PM
Oh, Please.....that thing looks ridiculous. And it will be street legal? Consider the Japanese Kei Trucks: comfortable, enclosed, heated and air conditioned, capable of 55 mph. Lights, turn signals. all the amenities. 50+ Miles per gallon. Not legal on the streets of the United States. It's available in a two seat, 2 or 4 wheel drive truck or a 4 seat van. [Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
It's also available in a variety of different cars by a variety of manufacturers. All illegal in the US. [Linked Image from themotorreport.com.au]
Posted By: loganrbt Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 03:27 PM
We already have internal combustion vehicles of this size with that kind of mileage. But you would look cute in the Princess Kitty trim!
Posted By: Greger Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 04:38 PM
They also come in full electric and hybrid. The only vehicle "we" have that compares is the Smart 2 made by Mercedes. It is the only non Japanese K Car. I had the pink one in mind for your grandaughter, this is more like what I'm after [Linked Image from allterrainminitrucks.com]
Posted By: Greger Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 05:07 PM
Not only do American manufacturers Not make a small efficient car it is illegal to drive a small efficient car in the united states. Scooters are street legal, bicycles are legal, pedestrians are legal. These cars and trucks are legal and popular everywhere in the world except the Unites States, they are legal in Canada.
Here they are rated for off road use only. Our auto manufacturers are going broke because they don't offer anything efficient and inexpensive. They can't! it's illegal to drive them here! For you Minnesotans they also come in a tracked version for use in the snow [Linked Image from japanese4x4minitrucks.com]
Posted By: loganrbt Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Makes perfect sense. BMW had a motorcycle very similar in appearance a few years back. Never brought it to the states; I was going to buy one. This is an even better concept. But Segway announced they were folding several weeks ago, so that makes me wonder.

But looking at Segway's website, they have no news about shutting down but do feature this partnership prominently.
Posted By: NW Ponderer Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 07:20 PM
I hadn't heard anything about Segway shutting down, either. I think the ideas are good, and partnerships will probably be necessary. We'll have to get used to the idea. Personally, I am looking at an electric motorcycle from Electric Motorsport. Most of the other electric motorcycles are a) too expensive and b) funny looking. The Vectrix is also coming down in price, so it may be an option, but I still like being on a motorcycle better.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ardy
At first glance, this seems like an april fool joke....
but the picture looks real
US carmaker General Motors is joining with scooter maker Segway to make a new type of two-seat electric vehicle.

Puma stands for personal urban mobility and accessibility.
link

---It should stand for "I have a ton of money and feel like wasting some of it on a glorified electric wheelchair that costs as much as a good used economy car."

My point is, the hordes of average salaried workers who desperately need economical personal transportation DON'T NEED expensive specialized vehicles, they need all purpose ones that can go anywhere.
Why? Because they can't afford to pay top dollar for TWO vehicles.
If you live IN New York City, I mean right IN the city itself, you're most likely fairly well to do, but otherwise you will find yourself in need of something that will go faster than 35 miles per hour and ply the freeway so you can get home FROM your work in the city.

GM is still missing the point.

BTW, the Segway also costs as much as a used economy car.
My wife and I are buying our daughter her first car this month, a 2004 Nissan for six thousand dollars. That's less than two thousand over the price of a Segway.

GM needs to put four wheels on this thing, up the speed to 65, and increase the range to 50 miles. In other words, they need to continue developing affordable electric CARS.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
Oh, Please.....that thing looks ridiculous. And it will be street legal? Consider the Japanese Kei Trucks: comfortable, enclosed, heated and air conditioned, capable of 55 mph. Lights, turn signals. all the amenities. 50+ Miles per gallon. Not legal on the streets of the United States.

---And for the stupidest of reasons.
It wouldn't take much to slap an airbag and antilock brakes on them. And while they're at it they could even fit it with a two cylinder diesel and an electric powertrain and take the US by storm, all for less than 13 thousand dollars by my estimate.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by loganrbt
We already have internal combustion vehicles of this size with that kind of mileage. But you would look cute in the Princess Kitty trim!

These are internal combustion vehicles.
I think the Kei would be an ideal platform for a diesel-electric hybrid.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
For you Minnesotans they also come in a tracked version for use in the snow [Linked Image from japanese4x4minitrucks.com]

Actually what you're looking at is the KIT that converts them to tracked. It only takes about twenty minutes to remove those units and slap the wheels back on.

I am a huge fan of Kei and HiJet.
Posted By: stereoman Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 09:11 PM
I'm with you Checkers. I can't believe GM could be so dense as to think there is a viable market for such a vehicle. It's almost as if they are trying to come up with something that will fail. And fail it will. By 2012, sensible car manufacturers will be doing exactly as you suggest - making diesel electric hybrids.
Posted By: Greger Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 09:34 PM
I'm pretty obviously a fan of the Kei trucks, I know that's a kit Checkers, there's all sorts of way to customize these things, I've read that they already come in full electric and hybrid models but personally since I want one for rural use the 660cc gas model is what I want. It's 12 miles into town for me on quiet 2 lane roads, 3 miles are unpaved. I just think it totally sucks that I can't be driving one of these. I also think it's totally foolish that American Carmakers haven't gotten a clue and marketed these things.
Posted By: Slipped Mickey Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 09:42 PM
The PUMA sounds and looks like another bad idea from GM. You can go out and buy 2 50cc scooters for less than $4000 total, get maybe 70 mpg with speeds of at something just shy of 40 mph. You can travel all day as long as you can get to a gas station. The PUMA is thus impractical.

I'm with Checkers. GM should be looking at affordable and reliable electric or hybrid cars and forget the PUMA.
Posted By: Schlack Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 10:11 PM
Ill see you your £4,795 2 seat scooter and raise you the cheapest car in the world.

Dirt cheap Tatas! Indian automaker to market $2,000 car
I wonder if the track kit would fit on the Princess Kitty?

That would be just perfect for my wife!
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Schlack
Ill see you your £4,795 2 seat scooter and raise you the cheapest car in the world.

Yup, the Tata Nano.
If it ever does come to America, the price will most likely
almost double, making it STILL the cheapest car available, and Americans will snap em up like they did VW Bugs, which WERE deathtraps.

And GM and the other US carmakers will again be making excuses.
Too big to fail my rosy red ass.
Too stupid to live more like it.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 10:32 PM
One more thing...
If GM wants to know what the smart thing to do is:

WHEELMOTORS (also known as HUB MOTORS)

Slap a two cylinder diesel in a Chevy Aveo and couple it to a
50kw generator that connects to two wheelmotors on the rear wheels of the Aveo.

RESULT: 135 mph - 0-60 in four seconds.
And about 80 miles per gallon.

And they could even try using those A123 battery packs if they want to call it a hybrid. Even better fuel mileage.
Posted By: Slipped Mickey Re: GM and Segway create new vehicle - 04/07/09 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Schlack

Nice Ta Tas. gobsmacked
© ReaderRant