Capitol Hill Blue
Science Daily

He says the green solar cells are more environmentally friendly than silicon-based cells as they are made from titanium dioxide – a plentiful, renewable and non-toxic white mineral obtained from New Zealand’s black sand. Titanium dioxide is already used in consumer products such as toothpaste, white paints and cosmetics.

“The refining of pure silicon, although a very abundant mineral, is energy-hungry and very expensive. And whereas silicon cells need direct sunlight to operate efficiently, these cells will work efficiently in low diffuse light conditions,” Dr Campbell says.

“The expected cost is one 10th of the price of a silicon-based solar panel, making them more attractive and accessible to home-owners.”

He says the ultimate aim of using nanotechnology to develop a better solar cell is to convert as much sunlight to electricity as possible.

“The energy that reaches earth from sunlight in one hour is more than that used by all human activities in one year”.

The solar cells are the product of more than 10 years research funded by the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.

The Bad News? New Zealanders!
[Linked Image from aximsite.com]
I post and post on Tatainium and does anyone listen?

TAT

Re: Science turns sun, surf into green energy
Tatuma

More Titatium catalysis in the news

quote:
And in a sunnier part of the campus Argonne have been carrying out basic research in three alternative energy related areas. One is solar energy, with the aim of creating next-generation nanostructured solar cells. These cells will be built using sophisticated atomic layer deposition techniques that replace expensive silicon with inexpensive titanium dioxide and chemical dyes. Another is the ‘artificial photosynthesis’ program which imitates nature using simple chemical components to convert sunlight, water and carbon dioxide directly into fuels like hydrogen, methane and ethanol. Then there is a program on thermoelectric materials that take heat from the sun and converts it directly to electricity. "
Posted By: Ardy Re: Taking Nature's Cue For Cheaper Solar Power - 09/01/07 04:45 PM
I think Dick Cheney is having meetings about this as we speak. Of course we have not heard of those meetings...you know how private he is when protecting the energy security of our country.
Gee Whiz, Tat, I have a couple of knees and a hip made out of the titanium stuff. Maybe it can be recycled when I give up the ghost. Or one can simply hang my body on the roof and let sun have a go at my joints.
Oh I'll be thrilled to bits to have more affordable solar or............ available! I'd love to convert my house, and would get a kick out of watching my electric meter run backwards! GaPower might not be as thrilled however, between the house and store, they're loving me at the moment!
im surprised more conservatices arent jumping on this idea of self generating power - even selling it back to the grid. where are the entrprenerueal(?- see sig line) solar farmers?
Posted By: mama Re: Taking Nature's Cue For Cheaper Solar Power - 09/06/07 01:52 AM
Oh I'll be thrilled to bits to have more affordable solar or............ available!

"I hear ya",Frazier!

"Where" might I "inquire" about a "dealership"?

["as" I am "hit-n-miss" at "making"["something" so "humble" as] iced tea!]
Posted By: mama Re: Taking Nature's Cue For Cheaper Solar Power - 09/06/07 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Schlack
im surprised more conservatices arent jumping on this idea of self generating power - even selling it back to the grid. where are the entrprenerueal(?- see sig line) solar farmers?

"surprised",Schlack? Really? grin

[I think "they" "just" like the "self generating" "part" :)]
Does anyone remember this: when Ronald Reagan was elected president, one of the first things he did was to remove the solar panels from the White House that the wimp Jimmy Carter had installed. He really showed Americans how to act like true Americans. In this time of crisis, what we need more than anything is another Reagan to show us the way.
Well yes, Ken, but get a load of George W. Bush's very energy efficient ranch house.
Reagan maybe deserved a pass on removing the solar hot water panels: A lot of those early hot water systems failed after just a few years of use, sometimes spectacularly on a freezing night! If the White House system had problems that would be too expensive to solve, then removal may have been the best option.
Water damage inside the White House could have ruined many priceless items from past administrations.

Both passive solar water heating systems and PV power generating systems have come a very long way since then.
© ReaderRant