Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Scoutgal Round Table For Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 - 06/27/07 06:40 AM
“Hey kids ... what time is it? It’s Howdy Doody time!” The year was 1947 and the peanut gallery surrounded Buffalo Bob Smith, Phineus T. Bluster, Indian Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring, Judy, Flubadub and a clown who didn’t talk named, Clarabell. The clown could make noise with a horn, like Harpo Marx, and could spray seltzer water. But that was it. Clarabell was Bob Keeshan in disguise, a man who was born on this day in 1927.

Two years later, Clarabell got restless. He wanted to talk. So, despite what Buffalo Bob and an NBC players contract said, Clarabell was determined to talk -- even silently. As relations between the clown and the star of the show (Buffalo Bob, not Howdy) got even more tense, Clarabell mouthed the words “Bye Kids” at the close of a Howdy Doody show and was fired on the spot.

Clarabell was out of a job until getting the big payback in 1955. Clarabell -- now back to being Bob Keeshan -- signed on with CBS for the only network children’s show to be broadcast on a daily basis. That show, Captain Kangaroo, became an integral part of American culture for two decades. Keeshan introduced us to Grandfather Clock, Mr. Green Jeans, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose and many other characters who taught kids a lesson. The phrase, “And be sure to say ‘please’ ... and ‘thank you’!” was just one of many. Captain Kangaroo became the model for truly excellent children’s television which led the way to Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, Sesame Street and others.

Bob Keeshan died on January 23, 2004.

[Linked Image from graphics.jsonline.com]

Today In History~

1787 - Edward Gibbon completed The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

[Linked Image from blupete.com]

1884 - Lawrence Corcoran pitched his third no-hit baseball game, leading Chicago to a 6-0 win over Providence. Corcoran set a baseball record for no-hitters for the feat.

1885 - Chichester Bell and Charles S. Tainter applied for a patent for the gramophone. The patent was granted on May 4, 1886.

[Linked Image from files.turbosquid.com]

1949 - Captain Video and His Video Rangers premiered on the Dumont Television Network. Captain Video was initially played by Richard Coogan. The voice of radio’s Green Hornet, Al Hodge, replaced Coogan in 1951. Don Hastings played the roll of the ranger until the series ended in 1955. Maybe, if you check the basement or the attic, you’ll find your Captain Video decoder ring. Now’s the time to use it, kids!

1955 - The first Wide Wide World was broadcast on NBC-TV. Dave Garroway, of the Today show, was the program host.

[Linked Image from kingoftheroad.net]

1958 - After nearly three years on NBC-TV, Matinee Theatre was seen for the final time. And a good thing, too. Critics called the show one of the most successful failures in theatrical history.

1959 - West Side Story, with music by Leonard Bernstein, closed after 732 performances on Broadway. The show remains one of the brightest highlights in the history of the Great White Way.

[Linked Image from carouseldinnertheatre.com]

1962 - Two albums of melancholy music by Jackie Gleason received gold record honors. Music, Martinis and Memories and Music for Lovers Only got the gold. Both were issued by Capitol Records in Hollywood.

1963 - Brenda Lee inked a new recording contract with Decca Records. She was guaranteed one million dollars over the following 20 years.

[Linked Image from biography.com]

1964 - Ernest Borgnine and Ethel Merman were married. It did not turn out to be one of Hollywood’s most enduring marriages. The couple broke up 38 days later.

1969 - New York City police, attempting to serve a search warrant, charged into the well-known gay hangout, the Stonewall Inn. Events quickly got out of hand. Police ejected customers, managers, bouncers. Everyone got booted outside onto the sidewalk. The crowd became increasingly unruly and someone threw a bottle at the police. The plain-clothes police team was trapped inside the bar for over two hours before the the NYPD Tactical Patrol Force arrived and drove the mob from in front of the Stonewall. Police arrested and jailed many of the chanting gays. For the next few nights, the Stonewall Inn became the focal point of gay protests. The gay community began to organize and form committees to bring about change. Many feel that the Gay Liberation Movement had its beginnings with the Stonewall Inn Riots. (See 1999 below.)

[Linked Image from bentlens.org]

1970 - The Jackson 5: Marlon, Tito, Jackie, Randy and Michael, jumped to number one on the music charts with The Love You Save. The song stayed at the top of the charts for two weeks. It was the third of four number one hits in a row for the group. The other three were I Want You Back, ABC and I’ll Be There. In 15 years (from 1969 to 1984), The Jackson 5/Jacksons had 23 hits, scored two platinum singles (Enjoy Yourself and Shake Your Body [Down to the Ground]) and one gold record (State of Shock).

1971 - Promoter Bill Graham closed the Fillmore East in New York City. It was a spin-off of San Francisco’s legendary rock ’n’ roll palace, Fillmore West (closed several days later). The Allman Brothers and J. Geils Band were among those performing on the final night. The New York City landmark and its San Francisco sister hosted just about every major rock group of the 1960s.

[Linked Image from steviehill.com]

1972 - Bobby Hull signed a 10-year hockey contract for $2,500,000, as he became a player and coach of the Winnipeg Jets of the World Hockey Association.

1975 - Sonny and Cher (Bono) called it quits as husband and wife. They were divorced soon after their CBS-TV variety show was canceled. Sonny went on to become mayor of Palm Springs and then a U.S. Congressman from California. (He was killed Jan. 5, 1998 in a skiing accident.) Cher married rocker Gregg Alman just days after saying “bye-bye” to Sonny. She continued her recording career and became an Academy Award-winning actress.

[Linked Image from blogwaybaby.com]

1980 - The the National Anthem Act, making O Canada Canada's national anthem, was unanimously accepted by the House of Commons and the Senate. Royal assent was also given this day. O Canada, written by Calixa Lavallee and Adolphe-Basile Routhier, was officially proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980.

1981 - Hi Infidelity, by REO Speedwagon, was replaced at number one by the LP, Mistaken Identity, by singer Kim Carnes. Hi Infidelity had been number one on the album charts for 14 weeks.

[Linked Image from static.rateyourmusic.com]

1984 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that individual colleges could make their own TV package deals. The National Collegiate Athletic Association’s (NCAA) contracts with ABC, CBS and Turner Broadcasting were said to violate federal anti-trust laws.

1984 - The Federal Communications Commission moved to deregulate U.S. commercial TV by lifting most programming requirements and ending day-part restrictions on advertising.

[img]http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/594px-FCC-logo.gif[/img]

1987 - After spending a decade with NBC News, Linda Ellerbee gave her last, “And so it goes.” NBC had tried to encourage Ellerbee to take a 40 percent cut in pay. And so she went. She wrote a most interesting book on her broadcasting career titled And So It Goes.

1988 - Mike Tyson quickly retained his undisputed world heavyweight title by knocking out Michael Spinks in the first round. Fight fans at Atlantic City Convention Hall had paid big bucks (up to $1,500) to see this one. The match, touted in advance as “Once and for All” was all over in 91 seconds. No report on how many people blinked at the wrong time.

[img]http://www.top-fighting.de/bildergalerien/mike0.jpg[/img]

1992 - Michael Jackson kicked off the Dangerous Tour in Munich, Germany. 70,000 fans saw Jackson, with a helmet on and a fake rocket pack on his back, appear to fly off stage (or, maybe he really did). The tour would continue through November 11 stopping in some 42 cities.

1999 - Juli Inkster won the LPGA Championship in Wilmington, Delaware. She was the second woman to win the modern Grand Slam in the LPGA. Of the eight players who have won the four major championships of their era, no one took as long as Inkster: 16 seasons from the time she won the Dinah Shore as a rookie [1984] to her victory in the LPGA Championship as a 39-year-old mother.

1999 - Sporting leather thongs, feather boas and political banners, gays and lesbians took to streets around the world in festive pride parades. The 29th annual Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Parade and Celebration took place in San Francisco, New York, Berlin, Manila and many other cities. Among the organizations taking part were the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a gay veterans group, an antique auto club for gays and Roman Catholics in favor of gay rights. The pride marches commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, when patrons of a gay bar in Greenwich Village (New York) fought back against a police raid. The bar, the Stonewall Inn, is now on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. (See 1969 above.)

[img]http://pjhoskins.com/photos/DSC_0465w.jpg[/img]
Gay Pride parade. West Hollywood, CA
{Thanks for the contribution, Phil! cool}

Quote For The Day~

Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

[img]http://www.presidentprofiles.com/images/prh_01_img0065.jpg[/img]

Chuckle For The Day~

Joe and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they
were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Joe suddenly jumped into the
deep end. He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed there. Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled Joe out.

When the director of Nursing became aware of Edna's heroic act, she considered her to be mentally stable. When she went to tell Edna the news she said, "Edna, I have good news and bad news. The good news is you're being discharged; since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping in and saving the life of another patient, I have concluded that your act displays sound mindedness. The bad news is that Joe, the patient you saved, hung himself in his bathroom with the belt to his robe right after you saved him. I am sorry, but he's dead."

Edna replied, "He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry. How soon can I go home?"

[img]http://www.wrhs.org/images/uploaded_images/library/philanthropic/mary_lily_1.jpg[/img]

Picture For The Day~

[img]http://www.visitusa.com/northdakota/images/redriverndpic.jpg[/img]
Red River, North Dakota

Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

[img]http://www.epa.state.oh.us/pic/mercury/mercury_drop_copy.JPG[/img]
{Thanks for the contribution, Phil! }

Antyhing for you Scoutgal!

wink
Good Morning Phil, great opening!

[Linked Image from img.timeinc.net]

A day without Cher is like a year without Halloween. wink

TAT
This is so funny this morning in the opening comments. I was playing in Reader Rant years ago after I moved to Arizona and got lost in the fact that we do not change our clocks at any time. Knowing that CHB used eastern time I asked a question "What time is it?" Dr. Doom answered with "It's Howdy Doody time" and I had no idea what he was talking about. I never had a television until 1982 and missed out on 50 years of American culture. I woke up at the Round Table and it was like living in a new life.

I will give you a clue to how Cher kept that costume on. Anyone who has worn eyelashes knows about the adhesive used. Poor Cher had many glue points to keep that outfit from slipping as it weighed a ton. Her fitters had many tubes when they followed her around to keep her covered.

Not a hot glue gun?

TAT

We thought about it!
(Welcome back, Sandy!)

I remember Captain Kangaroo! The man's talents were wasted as clarabell....
Another Howdy Doody coincidence: This past weekend my ex-husband mentioned they have a customer named Clarabelle at work. Remembering the clown, I reacted with a bwaahaha. But when I thought about it, I realized Clarabelle is a very pretty name. My XH agreed and also wondered why a woman's name was given to what seemed to be a male clown. confused

We hoped future generations, not having the Howdy Doody association, might bring that pretty name back to life.

Also...how did they come up with the name, Howdy Doody?? eek

(We didn't have a TV either, Sandy, but my sisters and I were allowed to watch HD at my grandparents' house occasionally. wink )

Oh...and Bob Keeshan's grandson is one of our med students at UVM.
I was also deprived of the Howdy Doody experience in my youth, but Captain Kangaroo was a staple in the Livingston household. Mr. Green Jeans was my role model. I wanted to be a farmer just so I could wear those bib overhauls. So now I'm a gardener and I'm wearing tie-dyes. Go figure. confused

I wasn't a faithful watcher of Sonny and Cher either, and hardly knew who Cher was until she married Greg Allman, one of my favorite musicians. Then she starred in Silkwood and Mask and I thought "this is the woman who sang I Got You Babe???" shocked

Another quarter inch of rain fell at the airport yesterday. Guess what we got here in my neighborhood? Yep. A sprinkle. My eggplants look like little skeletons with tiny purple penises.

Peni? confused
Posted By: 2wins Re: Round Table For Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 - 06/27/07 01:48 PM
Capt. Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, Moose, Mr. Rabbit ... They ROCKED! When they were on, there was little else that matter.
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
{Thanks for the contribution, Phil! }

Antyhing for you Scoutgal!

wink

Awwwww! blush grin
I loved Captain Kangaroo! My sisters and I looked forward to watching him every morning. cool

1992 - Michael Jackson kicked off the Dangerous Tour in Munich, Germany.

Coincidence? Pigs toast beginnings and endings.
1958 - After nearly three years on NBC-TV, Matinee Theatre was seen for the final time. And a good thing, too. Critics called the show one of the most successful failures in theatrical history.

Wasn't a good thing for me. Apparently too young to pay attention to critics, I loved Matinee Theatre. It came on at 3, right after I'd get home from school. One Christmas it did an hour-long Little Women . Granted some parts were left out, but I acknowledged the necessity of time constraints.
Adding to the Howdy Doody line: Everyone, at all times, must keep in mind the facial features shared by Howard Doody, Alfred E. Newman, Howard Kossell and George W. Bush. Doing so puts so many things about life in perspective.

PS Where's AG? I want my morning AG fix!!!
I was just poking around in details, seeing who was here and doing what, and have a question. What's a search spider?
Martha, look in yesterday's Roundtable for my answer about search spiders:
A search spider is an automatic program that search engines use to scan everything, well nearly everything, on the internet. They then index what they find and hence, when you search for a term, the index has the information where to find the phrase.
But recently a team of scientists announced they had made artificial sperm from human bone marrow, and media reports abounded with the dire news that my goodfellas (and by extension, me) had been rendered unnecessary.

If a woman chose to do so, speculated tabloid journalists, she could make sperm from her own bone marrow, fertilize another woman’s egg — and voila!
Will science render men useless?
Originally Posted by humphreysmar
PS Where's AG? I want my morning AG fix!!!

i second this demand.

could someone please send out the RR mercenary guards round him up and give him some enhanced interrogation techniques until gives up the daily sermon.

c'mon people the clocks ticking

1964 - Ernest Borgnine and Ethel Merman were married.

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT
“I do not believe in God, because I believe in man. Whatever his mistakes, man has for thousands of years been working to undo the botched job your god has made. There are . . . some potentates I would kill by any and all means at my disposal. They are Ignorance, Superstition, and Bigotry--the most sinister and tyrannical rulers on earth.”
-- Emma Goldman 1898

From the Church of Ineffable Stupidity:

a) IraqNam
only 21 bodies found scattered on the streets of Baghdad. But that ignores the dead from assassinations, bomb blasts, mortars and US attacks.

b) Hersey bites
3000 more jobs moved to Mexico.

c) coultergeist
Miss Annie suggests that terra-ists kill John Edwards.

d) NFL
The lowest salaries start a $389,000
That represents 9 years of wages for a family of 4.
the average career in the NFL is 3 yrs, w/increases in pay each year.
It takes a family of four, sometimes with two wage earners 30+ years to earn

And now they are complaining that they don't have a pension program or adequate medical care in their retirement years.

Tough titties, boys. You got a FREE COLLEGE education, you earned more than a million bucks, plus travel, costs, food, and hotels, you squandered it, you can go find a real job in the real world like the rest of us.

e) Chinese Take Out
yup, they took out 180 large factories, because they used illegal materials, poisons, and dated, rotting ingredients. And that stuff was for foreign export! imagine what they made for local use.
Still curious about search spider. Phil, any idea why it's called a spider?

BTW, I tried to ask the above question in a PM but the form never came up. Anyone else having PM problems? (Forget the jokes; they're running through my mind as I write.)
Martha...it's called a spider because it crawls around the World Wide Web!
Originally Posted by Snargle
Martha...it's called a spider because it crawls around the World Wide Web!

Really? How cool!
"We've served together during a time of war and shared the same determination to succeed. We analysed the enemy the same way and found each other in the same foxhole," Bush told the tabloid.

He added he thought Iraq would "turn out to be a positive legacy for us both".
Bush hails "strong guy" Blair

For President Bush to even imply that he served in time of war and occupied a foxhole is an insult of the first magnitude and a slap in the face to every member, past or present, of the U.S. Military. This man has no shame and no conscience. mad
This man has no shame and no conscience

Maybe the Wizard can provide these at the same time he finds a brain for him
Bush described Blair as "very articulate" and admitted to coveting his oratory skills.

"I wish I was a better speaker. This guy can really... he can talk!," Bush said.

"We have very different speaking styles, of course. He's much more kind of lofty and eloquent than I am. I tend to be just pretty matter of fact."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

PS The above quote is from Larry's link.
Just a reminder, from the White House:

Ms. Thomas: I have one follow-up. Are there any members of the Bush family or this administration in this war?

MR. SNOW: Yes, the President. The President is in the war every day.

Ms. Thomas: Come on. That isn't my question.

MR. SNOW: If you ask any President who is a Commander-in-Chief --

Ms. Thomas: On the front lines -- [where ever]

MR. SNOW: The President.

Every day folks. The Commander in Chief is in that foxhole every day. crazy
Posted By: SuZQ Re: Round Table For Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 - 06/27/07 11:18 PM
Every day folks. The Commander in Chief is in that foxhole every day.
Oh, is that what it is...I thought the only thing he was in everyday was the dark.
Ouch! Doesn't the fox mind?
Posted By: BC Re: Round Table For Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 - 06/27/07 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by stereoman

Ms. Thomas: I have one follow-up. Are there any members of the Bush family or this administration in this war?

Hmmmm...that wasn't quite the same hole I figured he kept his head in...perhaps Condi is involved in this story.
Originally Posted by SuZQ
Every day folks. The Commander in Chief is in that foxhole every day.
Oh, is that what it is...I thought the only thing he was in everyday was the dark.

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by BC
Originally Posted by stereoman

Hmmmm...that wasn't quite the same hole I figured he kept his head in...perhaps Condi is involved in this story.

Hee Hee Hee... wink
The terminology for foxhole changed in the 1970s to fighting position. Consequently, it is true Herr Bush is always in a fighting position considering the numerous errors he is responsible for.

To always say he is in the front lines is an affront to every man and woman who served since this president failed to fulfill his military obligation in an honorable manner. Perhaps, a tour in Iraq existing in a "foxhole" for a few months would change his mind about honor.
© ReaderRant