WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The search narrows in quest to find the "God Particle" at CERN: HuffPo link

GENEVA -- Scientists at the world's largest atom smasher have new data that shows with greater certainty where to find a long-sought theoretical particle that would help explain the origins of the universe.

Physicists at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research near Geneva, told The Associated Press on Thursday that reams of new data will help in the search for the Higgs boson, whose existence is theorized under the main particle physics theory that explains the Big Bang.

[Linked Image from scienceblogs.com]

So RR armchair physicists, what do you think?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm still favoring the micro sized black hole they are going to create(may have already created) which will gravitate to the center of the earth and begin eating the heart out of this planet. Ultimately resulting in the destruction of the Earth and our species which is the Gem Of God's Creation. If that isn't a godlike particle I don't know what is!

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
'
I would be surprised if surprises do not result from the results coming from CERN. I would also be surprised if the Higgs boson is the be-all and end-all of explaining sub-atomic physics. That would imply that there is a vast desert of very boring inactivity from the Planck realm to the atomic realm---which covers orders of magnitude as great as that from the atomic realm to roughly the size of the solar system. There is a considerable richness and variety of phenomena in that realm, and it would be very surprising if the same is not true between the atomic level and the Planck level---indeed, probably much more richness and variety.

Greger, it is highly unlikely that humans, with the puny energies at their command, could ever produce a mini black hole. For one thing, cosmic rays reach energies vastly greater than anything humans will ever produce in a collider on Earth. Cosmic rays have never produced such a black hole. The proof is that the Earth is still here.

Such an eventuality is so unlikely that I, who am rarely surprised by anything, would be very surprised if it happened. One thing is certain, though---I would not be surprised for long. · · · grin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aw Jegus, Numy! You've fallen for every other conspiracy theory that ever came down the pike, why not this one?

veteran
veteran
'
Originally Posted by Greger
Aw Jegus, Numy! You've fallen for every other conspiracy theory that ever came down the pike, why not this one?
Ah, how little you know me, Greger !
If you only had any idea of how many conspiracy theories I have rejected !

I only fall for the ones that are true ! · · · grin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

The black hole thingy does seem a bit far-fetched doesn't it...?

I'm still favoring the micro sized black hole they are going to create(may have already created) which will gravitate to the center of the earth and begin eating the heart out of this planet. Ultimately resulting in the destruction of the Earth and our species which is the Gem Of God's Creation. If that isn't a godlike particle I don't know what is!
Hawking Radiationg (named for the face you see in Numan's post) will cause micro black holes to evaporate before they could gravitate to the center of the earth. They last nanoseconds at most.

In fact, if Cern can make them, then they are occassionaly made when particles colide with our own atmosphere.

“If you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." Saul Alinskey
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For astronomical black holes, the evaporation time is prodigiously long - about 1061 times the age of the Universe for a 30 solar mass black hole. However, the evaporation time is shorter for smaller black holes
That's very comforting. A black hole with the mass of a mountain can actually evaporate in less than the age of the universe!
It is not well established what an evaporating mini black hole would actually look like in realistic detail. The Hawking radiation itself would consist of fiercely energetic particles, antiparticles, and gamma rays. Such radiation is invisible to the human eye, so optically the evaporating black hole might look like a dud. However, it is also possible that the Hawking radiation, rather than emerging directly, might power a hadronic fireball that would degrade the radiation into particles and gamma rays of less extreme energy, possibly making the evaporating black hole visible to the eye. Whatever the case, you would not want to go near an evaporating mini black hole, which would be a source of lethal gamma rays and energetic particles, even if it didn't look like much visually.
Very comforting indeed. But if it's for the sake of science I guess it's okay by me.

veteran
veteran
'
Originally Posted by Ozymanithrax
Hawking Radiation (named for the face you see in Numan's post) will cause micro black holes to evaporate before they could gravitate to the center of the earth. They last nanoseconds at most.
Maybe you see Stephen Hawking -- I see Alfred E. Neuman, at least on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; on on other days of the week I might see Stephen Hawking.
You are right about Hawking radiation causing them to evaporate before they could move even the most minute fraction of a proton's width.

In fact, if Cern can make them, then they are ocassionaly made when particles colide with our own atmosphere.
In fact, cosmic rays are not powerful enough to make even the teeny-weeniest black hole, but they don't miss by much. If the most powerful cosmic rays were only about 100,000,000 times more energetic, they might be able to make the smallest black hole. That is pretty close, when you are dealing with such stupendous energies. (most powerful cosmic rays: about 10 to the 21st power electron-volts. CERN will consider itself blessed when they can get into the 10 to the 12th power electron-volts : rest-mass energy of a proton -- about 10 to the 9th power electron-volts)

What is 10 to the 21st power? The Earth consists of 6x10 to the 21st power tonnes of matter, and there are about the same number of air molecules in a cubic centimetre of atmosphere at sea level. If you had a cube ten kilometres on a side, composed entirely of millimetre cubes packed very tightly and very carefully together, there would be 10 to the 21st power millimetre cubes.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The black hole thingy does seem a bit far-fetched doesn't it...?

Also somewhat racist... maybe the hole is white

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard