WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
'
"Unintended Consequences of...li, Algeria Crisis Tied to Libya War
"Unintended Consequences of Military Intervention": Roots of Mali, Algeria Crisis Tied to Libya War

...this is a wonderful reminder that military attacks, military interventions, lead to awful consequences. So, clearly, what we see — and it goes, really, back to the intervention in Libya. The military intervention in Libya, ousting Gaddafi, essentially unleashed massive caches of weapons, coming both from the Libyan side, but also, you know, from the Western side that was flooding Libya with weapons. Those weapons made their way to Mali and created an opportunity for ongoing conflicts in the north to really escalate. So, I think we see these unintended consequences of military intervention. And we have to underscore that, you know, often what we’re doing is breeding more enemies, breeding more extremists at every turn....

...the U.S. has been involved in Mali in training the military and equipping, arming the military of Mali. I think we have to really examine particularly U.S. taxpayer dollars. Where are they going? And what are the results? You know, it is a U.S.-trained army captain, Sanogo, who actually launched the coup in Mali and has launched now a series of coups and counter-coups since last March. But, you know, the U.S. has played a very heavy hand in terms of support for the military already. It has not brought the results intended.
SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! · · · coffee

[emphases added]

Last edited by numan; 01/20/13 05:17 PM.
old hand
old hand
It does make one wonder if ANYONE in this bloody government thinks at all!!! rolleyes

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
'
Well, I know that I, in the early 1960's, after taking an introductory course on East Asian history, knew more about Vietnam than the Secretary of Defense, and I knew for certain that the stated war aims of the US government would end in failure.

And the level of intelligence in Washington has gone down precipitously ever since then.

veteran
veteran
the level of intelligence in Washington has gone down precipitously
I think what we have is a case that since the current policies are diametrically opposed to yours, you have concluded their intelligence is low.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by rporter314
the level of intelligence in Washington has gone down precipitously
I think what we have is a case that since the current policies are diametrically opposed to yours, you have concluded their intelligence is low.

I think the current state of the country is proof positive of their intelligence level.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The discussion in the original post is itself misguided, and informed more by political viewpoint than factual accuracy. While I generally agree that military intervention always has unintended consequences, almost always bad, there are some naive assumptions that inform the piece from the beginning. In the introduction Mr. Gonzales states, " Islamist militants opposed to the French air strikes in neighboring Mali had seized the gas facility near the Libyan border on Wednesday." As with many such pronouncements, the speaker uncritically accepts the post hoc justifications for an action by the perpetrators, when they are clearly belied by the circumstances. This is a criminal gang, pure and simple, using a figleaf of ideology to excuse their criminal enterprise. It's a money-making endeavor.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
The discussion in the original post is itself misguided, and informed more by political viewpoint than factual accuracy. While I generally agree that military intervention always has unintended consequences, almost always bad, there are some naive assumptions that inform the piece from the beginning. In the introduction Mr. Gonzales states, " Islamist militants opposed to the French air strikes in neighboring Mali had seized the gas facility near the Libyan border on Wednesday." As with many such pronouncements, the speaker uncritically accepts the post hoc justifications for an action by the perpetrators, when they are clearly belied by the circumstances. This is a criminal gang, pure and simple, using a figleaf of ideology to excuse their criminal enterprise. It's a money-making endeavor.
Almost all military intervention is almost always economically motivated. Ideology is always the "story" used to justify military intervention to the plebe. I see no difference between one perpetrator or the other.
I also don't think you'll find any piece of journalism that is not politically biased.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Almost all military intervention is almost always economically motivated. Ideology is always the "story" used to justify military intervention to the plebe. I see no difference between one perpetrator or the other.
I also don't think you'll find any piece of journalism that is not politically biased.
I do see differences between perpetrators, but in all other respects, I agree.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Almost all military intervention is almost always economically motivated.
But not always.
Ideology is always the "story" used to justify military intervention
That might be stretching the truth a little. Let's just say almost always.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
Almost all military intervention is almost always economically motivated.
But not always.
Ideology is always the "story" used to justify military intervention
That might be stretching the truth a little. Let's just say almost always.

It seems you know the meaning of the word "almost" so I don't understand why you said "But not always". eek

As for the the second one: please provide a counter-example.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard