WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Irked Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
NYT

Justice! Vindication!

But Mr. DeLay’s long and colorful life took another turn on Thursday as a Texas appeals court threw out the November 2010 verdict, ruling that what he was convicted of — laundering corporate contributions to divert money to elect Republicans to the State Legislature — did not violate any state laws.

Let Freedom of Speech ring loud!

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Justice DeLayed is justice denied.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Nothing says nice times and freedom like an old white guy like DeLay being reunited with an old buddy and stroking his barrel - you know, the bond that exists between a man and his shooting iron. smile

I can hardly wait to learn what the ol' money launderer has in store for his future. coffee

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand
The reality of this case is this:

The court overturned the conviction on a matter of extreme technicality. Bottom line:

DeLay and his cronies took $190,000 in corporate contributions, sent them to another state, where they were deposited into a bank account of soft money. The bank account belonged to the Republican National State Elections Committee (RNSEC), a subset of the Republican National Committee. Soft money is corporate money which under Texas law could not be used to support political campaigns. Period.

So what happened next? RNSEC wrote checks to several Republican candidates in Texas for, coincidentally, the exact amount of what was deposited to their soft money account. BUT! They wrote the checks from a hard money account, which is defined in the court case as contributions from individuals rather than corporations, thus making the money exempt from the state law vis-a-vis no corporate money.

The defendants argued, successfully as it turned out, that the money that went to RNSEC was not the same money that went to the candidates in Texas.

The court bought that argument (splitting on party lines, of course.):

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/798012-texas-appellate-opinion-overturning-delay.html

Unfortunately the citation above does not include the dissent by the lone Democrat on the three-judge panel.

My point here:

It is my opinion that DeLay violated the intent of the law, but that he used a tiny little loophole to squeeze through. He would not have been able to squeeze through that loophole if he had carried with him any conscience.

And then he says it's because of his faith in Jesus. Whether he is guilty or not of this infraction he is still the ultimate turd fondler.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Ted Remington
...And then he says it's because of his faith in Jesus.
Of course, being on probation while his case was appealed, was more than any mere mortal money launderer could bear:

DeLay, who said he was at a prayer meeting when he learned of the appellate court ruling from his lawyer, said being out of politics for eight years had not embittered him, though he did not intend to run for office again.

"Because I'm walking with the Lord, I had no burden," he said at the news conference. "He's had the burden. He carried it."
Gosh, that sure was nice of The Lord. And did The Lord carry your gun for you too, Mr. Money Launderer...erm, Mr. Delay, since you weren’t allowed to? I'm sure He did. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
You need more of the statements in this matter, so that we can understand. Thank you for sharing. I hope you happy

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 09/25/13 05:31 PM. Reason: Guideline correction

Link Copied to Clipboard