WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Louie Gohmert: A Debt Default Is 'An Impeachable Offense By The President'

If anyone ever had any doubt about how delusional the Tea Party stalwarts are, you need only consider this headline. Sure, you can read the rest of the article, but it's superfluous. How can anyone with even two firing neurons think such a load of horseshit is true?

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Every time I hear lunacy like this, I think of the child who murders his parents then pleads for leniency because he is an orphan.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Dear Louie Gohmert,

If anyone should be impeached over the Debt Default, it should be the Republicans in both houses of congress. We can start with you.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Time for the legal experts to weigh in.
If Section 4 of the 14th Amendment says that the validity of the public debt of the United States, as authorized by law...shall not be questioned, and that particular section has already been applied in 1866 against a very similar set of circumstances, does it stand as violation of a law if a sitting Congressman refuses to honor it by refusing to allow debt limits to be voted on?

To clarify, if the GOP believes it can impeach the President over this, doesn't the law work both ways?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Obama and the Debt - NY Times

Two years later, on the verge of the amendment’s ratification, its champions inside the Republican Party made their intentions absolutely clear, proclaiming in their 1868 party platform that “national honor requires the payment of the public indebtedness in the utmost good faith to all creditors at home and abroad,” and pronouncing any repudiation of the debt “a national crime.”

More than three generations later, in 1935, Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, ruling in the case of Perry v. the United States, revisited the amendment and affirmed the “fundamental principle” that Congress may not “alter or destroy” debts already incurred.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is backed up not only by an almost exact historical precedent (Confederates threatening to welch on their own war debts in 1866, which is why 14-4 was written) but it was reaffirmed in the Supreme Court in Perry v. the United States (1935), which is one of the landmark cases the Supreme Court would have to reverse itself on should it attempt to invalidate Obama's "constitutional option", thus triggering a constitutional crisis the likes of which have never been seen before.

deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
enthusiast
A Constitutional crisis is just what is needed if the Federal Government is going to be stopped.

Choose Liberty! Support the Republican Party in its drive to defang the evil that is the Government in the Federal City. Just a few more days and Freedom will begin to bloom again in this country.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just want to pass along a comment made on a conservative forum so that readers can get an idea of how they viewed the debt ceiling crisis. Please feel free to deconstruct, as I would like your input:

"...you need to work on your understanding of what "default" means...

Constitutionally, the US is required to pay its debt obligations (and the inflow of taxes is waaay more than enough to pay this)

If Obama tells his Treasury Secretary not to pay the US debt obligations, he will be violating the US Constitution and will be facing impeachment.

Also, Obama will be the one deciding whether to pay your wife's VA pension, not the Republicans."
Thoughts?

deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

If Congress doesn't allow more borrowing from the credit card, then debts can't be paid. This is the POTUS' 'fault' how, exactly?

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's, of course, True in this instance, but in no other. When the debt limit has been reached a president is required to pay for the expenditures enumerated by the TEA Party caucus and is required to not pay for those not sanctioned by the TEA Party caucus. At all other times, the president must pay for all of the expenditures duly authorized by Congress.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard