WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#280500 08/23/15 05:27 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
We need a new cooking thread! This is for your own tested recipes or anything food-related that sounds interesting.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Bump. Greger~Could you please post your recipe for the Caramel apple cookies your were telling me about? ThumbsUp

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
First Scout, this just came across my desk....
It's a sad day in the South. Chef Paul Prudhomme has passed, he was 75. Paul was perhaps most famous as the inventor of the Turducken but his restaurant K-Paul's Kitchen in New Orleans was also the first to serve Blackened Redfish, it was so wildly popular that chefs everywhere began to serve it until the Redfish population was threatened and harvesting was shut down for several years. Fishermen in Florida are still only allowed to keep one Redfish.
Eleven Christmases in a row I made Turduckens using his recipe from the Prudhomme Family Cookbook. The recipe is 14 pages long.
Prudhomme was truly a legend.

Requiescat In Pace, Chef Paul.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #281572 10/09/15 02:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookie Recipe

3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Butter, Softened
1 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoons Salt
10 packages Alpine Spiced Apple Cider Drink Mix
2 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
14 ounces Wrapped Kraft Caramels

-In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
-With your mixer, cream together butter, sugar, salt and all 10 packages of apple cider drink mix powder, until light and fluffy.
-Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture into the butter/egg mixture, continuing to mix as you go. Mix until just combined.
-Refrigerate dough for about an hour. When you are ready to bake, unwrap your caramels, and preheat oven to 350° F. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
-Scoop out cookie dough balls that are about the size of a walnut. Flatten the ball of dough slightly in the palm of your hand. Press the unwrapped caramel into the center of your dough and seal the dough around it, covering it completely. Place the balls on the parchment covered cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
-Bake 12-14 minutes, or until very lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool at least 5 minutes before removing from pan then turn them upside down on a rack to finish cooling.
Be VERY careful if you decide to eat one while it's still warm. The caramel gets extremely hot.

Makes roughly 4 dozen

These should be baked on parchment paper or a silpat; waxed paper also works. The caramel often melts through slightly at the bottom of the cookie. If they stick, put the pan in the freezer for a few minutes and they should release.

This is not my recipe, it's available in a lot of different places via Google so I have no idea who to credit for it.
These cookies are damned good and perfect for the Fall.
After they've cooled they are best warmed just for a few seconds(NO MORE THAN TEN SECONDS) in the microwave. Again, those caramels get really hot, really fast.

Greger #281579 10/09/15 05:06 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Thanks, Greger! Anyone else have some Autumn recipes to share? idea

old hand
old hand
One of my favorite fall sides:

How to Make Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread)
Makes approximately 2 dozen puffs
What You Need
Ingredients

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (10 ounces) tapioca flour or sour cassava flour
2 eggs
1 - 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese

Equipment

2-quart saucepan
Long-handled spoon
Standing mixer with paddle attachment (or mixing bowl and elbow grease)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking pan with parchment and set aside.

1. Boil the Milk and Oil: Combine the milk, oil, and salt in the saucepan, and whisking occasionally, bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from heat as soon as you see big bubbles coming through the milk.

2. Add the Tapioca Flour: Add all of the tapioca flour to the saucepan and stir until you see no more dry tapioca flour. The dough will be grainy and gelatinous at this point.

3. Cool the Dough: Transfer the dough to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (Alternatively, you can do the next few steps by hand. Be prepared for a work-out.) Beat the dough for a few minutes at medium speed until it smooths out and has cooled enough that you can hold your finger against the dough for several seconds.

4. Beat in the Eggs: Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. With the mixer on medium, beat the eggs into the dough in two additions. Wait until the first addition has been fully incorporated into the dough before adding the second. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

5. Beat in the Cheese: With the mixer on medium, beat in the cheese until fully incorporated. The resulting dough will be very sticky, stretchy, and soft with a consistency between cake batter and cooke dough.

6. Portion the Puffs: Using an ice cream scoop, a tablespoon measure, or a dinner spoon, scoop rounded portions of the dough into mounds on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Space the mounds an inch or two apart. Dip your scoop in water to prevent sticking.

7. Bake the Puffs: Transfer the sheet with the puffs to the oven and immediately turn down the heat to 350°F. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the puffs have puffed, the outsides are dry, and they are just starting to color. Cool briefly and eat. Leftover puffs can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week and re-crisped in a warm oven or toaster oven.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

L
veteran
veteran
L
Enhanced bran flakes:

Preparation: Get a bowl, preferably a clean one - the dog's waterbowl is often the cleanest.

Grab a box of bran flakes; if it is a new one you may have to use colorful language to open the sealed interior packet, after ripping the top off of the box. Dull scissors will help to spice up your word choice before a rip along one entire side provides access to the yummy bran flakes. Your wife (if you still have one) will clean up the cup or so of cereal that fell on the floor.

Adding spices and flavorings: My favorite is raisins, since bran flakes have absolutely no flavor of their own unless they have begun to rot. Find the raisin box and an ice pick, which will be helpful in chipping some loose raisins from the rock hard mass that resulted from having ripped the fresh-seal interior pouch clear down one side when you opened it a few weeks earlier. Keep some bandaids nearby in case you stab yourself.

If you are near the bottom of the raisins, look for little squirmy bugs. If you see some, add more raisins as the worms have likely depleted some of the flavor from the luscious dried fruit.

Wetting: Unless you are a very heavy salivater, the really dry bowl of ingredients will not masticate in a satisfactory way and will be hard to swallow, even with a high worm content. DO NOT use fat-free, 1%, or 2% milk, as only pussy Epicures would do that; instead, find some WHOLE milk (check for sourness), which is, disappointingly, only 4% milkfat, in spite of what you had imagined all your life.

Eating: Sit down at your computer and savor the latest in depressing news as you munch on your spicy bran flakes. Try not to dribble milk into the keyboard or splash milk drops on the screen, unless there is too much happiness in your life. If you should accidentally have a major spill from chronic morning ineptness, the bran flakes will become formless and mushy and the worms will drown (causing the tactile sense loss of their wiggling on your tongue) while you are attempting to avoid permanent damage to the hardware. The raisins, however, will soften slightly, sometimes to the point of not breaking your teeth.

Amuse-toi bien!

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll pass on the bran flakes Logy,
But, Zeke, the Bazillion Cheese Bread sounds amazing. It's going onto the "must bake soon" list.

Greger #281597 10/09/15 06:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
the Bazillion Cheese Bread sounds amazing. It's going onto the "must bake soon" list.

They are delicious!

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've never worked much with tapioca flour. We used it a little bit at a Thai restaurant I worked at once but I don't even remember what for. I'll be picking up some soon. They look similar to gougères which are a French pastry made with pâte àchoux. The same dough you would make cream puffs or profiteroles with but with added cheese. Gougères come out mostly hollow and are delicious. They can also be piped full of cheese filling just like you would pipe pastry filling into a cream puff.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard