WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#293261 10/01/16 05:35 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I have long ago personally given up on the fantasy of democracy of any sort, and I keep getting proven correct.

Not only is our current political atmosphere saturated with incompetence and non-participation, but even the pretenses are so battered and far from any notion of reality.

I won't waste your time on attempting to give evidence for this assertion, and certainly if you disagree, I am open to contrary evidence.

Do you agree with this for the most part?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/01/16 05:35 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Looking back in history I wonder if things are really worse now than they were before. There was surely a lot of animosity from the start, citizens were divided about whether to revolt or remain loyal to the crown. There was gross income inequality and the Constitution was written for and by wealthy landowners. Slavery was a fact of life for the first half century of our history and then there was the Civil War...Horrible times that tore the nation apart for decades. Then the rise of the robber barons followed almost immediately by the First World War. Then the Roaring Twenties! Followed by the Great Depression which didn't wind down until the Second World War. Then Korea and Vietnam. Dick Nixon, race riots and I've barely scratched the surface of a history born in turmoil and mostly raging at a full boil since its inception.
Is it the demise of our system or just another chapter? Just business as usual in the good old USA?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I have long ago personally given up on the fantasy of democracy of any sort, and I keep getting proven correct.

ThumbsUp

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have not given up on democracy, but I do think that we are at a very low point. I can trace a lot of that back through my lifetime, but I can't talk about anything before the 60's, as I didn't live it.

There are two trends that I think led to a great deal of the current disaffection with the democratic process, and it is largely tied to the two major parties. After the Civil Rights period, the Democratic Party took essential control of the legislature for most of the 60s and 70s. Party divisions of United States Congresses. Many good things happened because of this, especially when they also had the White House, but the party became complacent until they lost the Senate in the 1980s. That complacency led to some very bad behavior. (see List of federal political scandals in the United States), but when the Republicans gained control, their behavior was much, much worse, especially during Newt Gingrich's tenure. The pattern established from Nixon (Watergate), through Reagan (Iran-Contra) to George H.W. Bush (pardons of Iran-Contra participants), and then his son (Lawyergate, e-mail controversy - which makes Hillary Clinton's errors pale by comparison) showed an escalation of impunity in abuse of office.

The second trend, also tied primarily to the Republicans, was the escalating delegitimization of the government. This started with the 60s and the civil disobedience mood, especially post-Watergate, but became a central tenet of the Republican party from Reagan forward. I thought that the election of Barack Obama might blunt, and maybe reverse, that disaffection, but it has metastasized into the TEA party, Trump, Cruz, and their ilk.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
The demise of the U.S. political system (often called Democracy, a misnomer for sure) has two systemic (structural) components:

1) An economic system which promotes inequality (e.g. concentration of wealth) and as a result extends to the social realm, creating a permanent underclass that has been deprived of education and the possibility of attaining the basic necessities of life. This is agnostic to the political party in power as they both advocate the same economic/social framework.

2) Systemic racism and the continuation of a caste system (based on economic, social and racial divides, vide the religious right) that has never been attacked head on since the inception of the republic. Yes, there have been improvements (hard fought) but, given item (1) these advances have been clawed back. We find ourselves in the position of fighting for the same things (under a different name) that we fought for decades, nay, centuries ago.

Voting is the opiate of the masses. Every 4 years someone comes along and pays lip service to issues and causes that are in vogue. But little is done to address the systemic (structural) failures of the system, because the elected are being guided by the same forces in (1) - no matter what party they belong to.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I am grateful for your responses. This is the only forum I know of where a rational discussion such as this can take place.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
1) An economic system which promotes inequality (e.g. concentration of wealth) and as a result extends to the social realm, creating a permanent underclass that has been deprived of education and the possibility of attaining the basic necessities of life. This is agnostic to the political party in power as they both advocate the same economic/social framework.

2) Systemic racism and the continuation of a caste system (based on economic, social and racial divides, vide the religious right) that has never been attacked head on since the inception of the republic. Yes, there have been improvements (hard fought) but, given item (1) these advances have been clawed back. We find ourselves in the position of fighting for the same things (under a different name) that we fought for decades, nay, centuries ago.

And my point in my post above is that this has been going on from the start. From the Founding Fathers, who were the social, financial and political elite of the day, to the wealthy plantation owners of the south and the industrialists of the north prior to the Civil War. To the robber barons of the 1890s, tamped down only for a few years before the economic boom of the 1920s further enriched Americas wealthy families before the Great Depression left most Americans penniless and jobless(and most of the wealth intact). From slavery to child labor to unethical treatment of labor and a racial divide that has never been bridged. The Federal Government has always been in the pockets of the wealthy. Just as State and City governments.
Democracy today is just as ephemeral as it was from the start but probably no more so.
The Aristocracy and the bourgeoisie continue to enslave the proletariat just as they always have and always will.

Which brings me to a point I made elsewhere...
Donald Trump does not represent "change" he IS the status quo.
He is a perfect example of what we have "fought for decades, nay, centuries". He was born to wealth and will die wealthy. His bid for the presidency is nothing more than an endeavor to further enrich himself and those like him. These poor Republican fools who think otherwise will be even poorer and bigger fools should they manage to elect him.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Greger
Donald Trump does not represent "change" he IS the status quo. He is a perfect example of what we have "fought for decades, nay, centuries". He was born to wealth and will die wealthy. His bid for the presidency is nothing more than an endeavor to further enrich himself and those like him. These poor Republican fools who think otherwise will be even poorer and bigger fools should they manage to elect him.
Trump is in the top .01%, right? A wealth creator... Big Daddy Warbucks... eminently qualified to take care of the little people, as he has taken care of himself.

You know, those little people who Entrepreneur Trump steps on when building his empire, they deserve it. If they aren't tough enough to make it in business, then they need to go home to their Mommies.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wonder just how inspirational the Trump Tax Avoidance Scheme will be to a true revolution.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from s11.postimg.org]

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard