WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#296982 12/04/16 06:23 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
A place for all t0 discuss rules of civility

Last edited by Phil Hoskins; 12/04/16 06:27 PM.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Posted by NWP but on a thread that appears to be closed.

Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
We ARE in uncharted waters, here. Donald Trump is such a reprehensible figure and his "movement" so inherently dangerous to the United States that it begs stern commentary.

I think, though, that one of the things that RR has always stood for is a higher standard for criticism. The rule against nicknames, and disparaging remarks has been a foundation for that standard. While it is imperative to not treat Trump as "Normal" - he most assuredly is NOT - there is still room to uphold that standard and maintain constant criticism of the man, his administration, and his policies. I admit I am having a very difficult time keeping from yielding to the urge to name him the buffoon that he is.

I do think, however, that it is imperative to get ahead of this as a community so that it does not get out of hand. We need to be up front about where we are going with this, and why. We have an obligation to our community to keep all viewpoints as accessible as possible within our standards. This is a difficult task.

My sense is that maintaining our current rules is more important than the rhetorical satisfaction of naming Trump what he is. I think we can lead the way as well by considering how we broach the subject.

Those are two cents to get the discussion going. These are my preliminary thoughts. I'm open, as always, to persuasion.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Respect for Elective Offices

Elected Officials, both past and present, are referred to by name, not by nickname or by verbal/visual insulting reference. Feel free to criticize an elected official's actions, but don't attack the person. Address what the person did, not what the person "is".

I have no issue with this rule even in regards to President Elect Trump. Trump "is" a businessman, not a politician. A salesman, not a statesman. Whether he "is" a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, mysogynist I don't really know. He ran as a Republican and to me that is pretty much synonymous with all those other isms. Overall, I think GOP policies pretty much support my assumption on this. I'm not one for cutesy nicknames or sophomoric insults. Those are best avoided across the board anyway as it just demeans anyone who stoops to this level of discourse.

Donald Trump "is" a plutocrat.
plu·to·crat
a person whose power derives from their wealth.
synonyms: rich person, magnate, millionaire, billionaire, multimillionaire

Donald Trump "is" a fascist.
fas·cist
an advocate or follower of fascism.
synonyms: authoritarian, totalitarian, autocrat, extreme right-winger, rightist

Donald Trump "is" unqualified. A businessman has no inherent skill, training, or knowledge in dealing with trading partners who are liable to start a world war if a deal goes sour for them. Perhaps the backlash from the Taiwan phone call was a wake up call for him. Perhaps not.

So largely our conflict is in definitions as far as what Donald "is" and what we are allowed to call him and remain within the guidelines.

Generally speaking, I'm not going to attack the man until he actually f*cks something up. In fact, being a sportsman and all, I intend to watch this game with glee. Because I already know the outcome and if there's anything President Elect Donald J. Trump hates it's failure. And Donald Trump "is" going to fail spectacularly as a president.

I think Phil took exception of my posting an image of Donald Trump as the Wizard of Oz with Vladimir Putin depicted as the man behind the curtain. I considered this political satire, not an attack on the person. If indeed this is against the guidelines I will be happy to delete it and avoid posting satire of any sort in the future.
But if we've become such a Milquetoast forum where the likes of Andy Borowitz are too radical for our pages then maybe it's best the Republicans won because they at least retain the courage of their convictions.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Agree that we must post under the Reader Rant guidelines; however, the whole purpose of the First Amendment is the ability to say and write political decent. There's a reason why Freedom to criticize our government is the First Amendment.

While elected by a minority of American voters, Trump is not an official government employee until noon on January 20th 2017.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand
Racist/Bigot = KKK support, David Duke, Bannon, The Central Park 5
Homophobe = Pence suggests conversion therapy
Xenophobe = The Wall, mass deportation, ban on Muslims
Misongynist = gee where to begin , seriously...
QED

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Greger #297011 12/05/16 12:06 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Greger and others, I posed this question not because of your or other posts in specific. A number of Ranters raised the issue of whether Donald Trump either is excluded from prior rules or should be so.

I simply wanted to give vent to ideas.

pdx rick #297012 12/05/16 12:07 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Agree that we must post under the Reader Rant guidelines; however, the whole purpose of the First Amendment is the ability to say and write political decent. There's a reason why Freedom to criticize our government is the First Amendment.

While elected by a minority of American voters, Trump is not an official government employee until noon on January 20th 2017.
This site is not bound by Constitutional law because this is not a public forum.

veteran
veteran
not sure Constitutionality covers this site since it is not part of any government. It is however a private site which does have rules as opposed to public sites such as discus which do not.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

'
I have written that Trump is a narcissist, a sociopath, and a fascist.

I think that a large majority of psychologists would agree that if Trump were tested, he would be clinically classified as a narcissist and a sociopath.

His entire political career, short as it is, fits any reasonable definition of a fascist movement.

Admittedly, most people would call these terms pejorative, but if they are used, without superfluous insults, as indicating an objective reality, I do not see that they violate the rules of this forum.

Once, weapons were manufactured to fight wars; today, wars are manufactured to sell weapons

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Originally Posted by pdx rick

This site is not bound by Constitutional law because this is not a public forum.

Nobody believes that we are legally bound by constitutional law.
The Constitution was simply brought up as a guideline, and maybe as an example of how some would like to express dissent.

Of COURSE it is Doug's circus and we're just the hired help. Everyone gets that.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard