WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#337343 10/18/21 05:53 PM
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
A breakthrough in carbon capture and storage: turning CO2 into coal

I ran across this innovative method of carbon dioxide sequestration, while looking up some information about fungi. It is a clever use of Gallium alloys that have melting points near room temperature, to serve as electrodes with doping of other catalytic ions (cerium etc) to reduce CO2, which is pretty hard to reduce. The product of the reduction is a carbonaceous solid, that had previously been a problem as it "coked" up previous electrodes. (Not that kind of COKED UP, you druggies) The advantage of the liquid metal electrodes is that the coke-like product falls off in sheets that are easy to capture.

The black carbonaceous material can be buried, but it sure looks similar to Bio-Char to me.

Does anyone know why this hasn't caught on as a carbon sequestration method, particularly since it produces a product that could be utilized in compost and soil improvements?

I have enjoyed playing with Woods metal, one of the low melting alloys, that was quite toxic from cadmium, unlike Gallium. We cast some spoons of it that melted when used to stir coffee grin

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/18/21 06:39 PM. Reason: Wood's metal has no Gallium

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
L
veteran
veteran
L
That’s interesting but short on practical information and context. Where does the CO2 gas come from? Electricity is needed - how much and from where? (it sounded kinda like the process provided it somehow). Does the carbon produced have significant microporosity, or does it need to be “activated” before being useful in the soil?

Sounds like it is still in the research phase and strategies for scaling and implementation are a ways off. I wonder if they are thinking of flue emissions scrubbing, or general vacuuming of the atmosphere?

While there appear to be similarities to biochar, the lifecycle context and range of associated benefits and costs are probably very different.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Room temperature CO2 reduction to s...aturing atomically thin ceria interfaces

I try, often unsuccessfully, not to overwhelm casual readers with the primary literature detail, but rather the big picture.
But here you go! Room temperature CO2 reduction to solid carbon species on liquid metals featuring atomically thin ceria interfaces. More than you want to know about Galinstan liquid metal cat-a-lists.
Would you like Raman with your energy disspersive x-ray analysis? grin
co2 liquid catalysts

I was interested that some of the carbonaceous produce was reduced not just to elemental carbon, but some areas had unsaturated carbon-carbon bonds. The deposits are planar but this may be due to trying to crank up efficiency by keeping the electrode from coking up, to show potential for practical CO2 reduction.
I suspect that by running the electrolytic process a bit differently you might be able to generate a more three dimensional structure with deep aromatic cores like biochar. This was clearly not their main focus, just something I was considering from the soil side of conservation.

The other advantage is that it take place at room temperature, as well as making a stable solid carbon product with possible uses. I would figure that solar cell electricity would be used to drive this low voltage process.
I feel sad that all those photons hitting SW arid areas are being wasted, not to mention all the newly generated deserts around the world.
I'm buying to Gallium and Cerrium futures, though I coincidentally happen to have a supply of Cerium oxide in the basement, previously used for polishing glassy stones like obsidian. I see an experiment happening in the basement soon grin
TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/19/21 03:44 PM. Reason: f*url f*up

sevil regit
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Room temperature CO2 reduction to s...aturing atomically thin ceria interfaces

I try, often unsuccessfully, not to overwhelm casual readers with the primary literature detail, but rather the big picture.
But here you go! More than you want to know about Galinstan liquid metal cat-a-lists
Would you like Raman with your energy disspersive x-ray analysis? grin

I got an error message, says "This site can't be reached", thus I think you maybe mangled the URL?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thats why I put them in two places! grin Same url as in title, but fixed it in edit anyway!

sevil regit
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Let's turn all this carbon into diamonds and we'll all be rich enough to fly to Mars!

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Greger
Let's turn all this carbon into diamonds and we'll all be rich enough to fly to Mars!
"And who will buy all of the diamonds?" said the Little Red Hen. "And who will get all of the carbon credits?"

R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All the other rich people will buy the diamonds. Like bitcoins they will forever rise in value and as soon as all the carbon is sequestered they will become more and more rare!

It's a win-win situation.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
L
veteran
veteran
L
Sounds like solid science… I’m in!

R. Buckminster Fuller
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wellog,
You're no fun anymore grin
When looking into low melting alloys, the typical GalInStan goes for about $120/0.25 pounds, so almost $500/K.
This looks like something that would be fun to play around with! Thus there may be a problem with liquid alloy theft. It's a very liquid asset if there was a market, and notoriously difficult to dust for prints. Its too late for me to get out of my pure metals futures, but I may be lucky and find a way to get completely out of Galinstan!

TAT

Galinstan

sevil regit
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard