WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The basic rules for the Thread Association Thread, we could use an Acronym for this to avoid long word typing, are outline in the Beautiful language thread.
These non-rules may require MODification as the Drift gets clarified.

Some topics overlap so that it be problematic where to post, like the following!
It has Northwest weather, neural networks, something for dog owners, and slime mold, that is not a fungus at all and would be off topic on the fungus amungus thread.

TAT

Be careful when you hike near Mount Rainier

At least 60 species of slime mold can be found in Mount Rainier National Park. "Slime mold?" you ask. "What's a slime mold?" These plasmodia can be quite large; some species have been recorded to be over thirty square meters in size! These remarkable organisms were once thought to be fungal, but advanced scientific analyses show them to be something which doesn’t fit within the system of taxonomic rank. They are not molds despite the name, although they exhibit characteristics common to fungi, but also to those demonstrated by animals. In other words, a protist is any eukaryotic organism that is not an animal, plant, or fungus.

There are two types of slime mold: cellular and acellular (plasmodial). When an individual cell encounters a food source, like a hiker, it sends out a chemical signal which attracts others of its kind, drawing them in until they form a mass which is capable of movement in an amoeba-like fashion, think THE BLOB!

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I pulled this from the politically tainted doubt thread as it occurred to me while reading the Mother Tree, that the fungal mycelium in her NW forestry projects hunted out area that needed help nurturing the fir seedlings. This is so similar the the strategy used by the slime molds to find food and avoid danger and toxic substances, and they learn and remember! It is like a huge neural network that functions without a brain or central nervous system at all. We should take heed, and welcome our future overlords, and be optimistic that things can function without the need for thinking. Elites BEWARE!

TAT

Originally Posted by TatumAH
Slime Mold Can Solve Exponentially Complicated Problems in Linear Time

Plasmodium’s propensity to optimize comes from its intrinsic effort to grow as efficiently as possible, while making its own decisions. This approach is innovative in diminishing the role of human intervention, as even the work of digital computers is built on the foundation of human-written code.

Plasmodium has proved its applicability in many examples, from solving mazes to recreating the map of the Tokyo rail system (shown below). They are capable of anticipating periodic events, and even habituation, a type of learning, despite their complete lack of a nervous system.

The problem is figuring out the question to ask Physarium. They are apolitical so they cant be influenced by ideology, but they are easily bribed by rolled oat flakes. I kept one in my desk for a while, but it ate my lunch.

TAT

Researchers from Lanzhou University in China have shown that the slime mold Physarum polycephalum is able to solve the Traveling Salesman Problem, a combinatorial test with exponentially increasing complexity, in linear time. Using focused light stimulus as negative feedback to maintain the criteria of the task, the authors demonstrated that this model was able to reliably output a high-quality solution. This is the latest development among many biology-inspired approaches for advanced processing in the evolution of computing.

sevil regit
K
old hand
old hand
K
I shall strive to become a slime mold in my next life.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
T
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
If they consult Loggy, who already has a track record of composting relatives, though not friends, yet, you may end up as "high" FUNgus" compost! That actually sounds pretty enlightening from a psychedelic standpoint! crazy

I like my neighborhood, but I think we could use a couple of cows, as Magic Mushroom dont grow in deer poop!

As for my associations to comply with the thread drift thread strict rules, here is my association! One of the first psychedelic rock tunes. I selected the studio version over the live purrformances, that just couldn't reproduce the original primitive mind bending qualities of the the echos! grin
TAT

sevil regit

Link Copied to Clipboard