WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by jgw - 06/11/24 08:38 PM
Time to Impeach Thomas
by jgw - 06/11/24 05:56 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by perotista - 06/10/24 11:53 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/10/24 06:17 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 06/06/24 05:31 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:20 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:15 AM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (NW Ponderer), 25 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,171,716 my own book page
5,023,357 We shall overcome
4,205,032 Campaign 2016
3,799,214 Trump's Trumpet
3,020,939 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,300
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 9
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,095
Posts313,909
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#340923 03/06/22 07:53 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Russian President Vladimir Putin has made a strategic blunder by invading Ukraine. He has misjudged the political tenor of the country, which was not waiting to be liberated by Russian soldiers. He has misjudged the United States, the European Union, and a number of countries—including Australia, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea—all of which were capable of collective action before the war and all of which are now bent on Russia’s defeat in Ukraine. The United States and its allies and partners are imposing harsh costs on Moscow. Every war is a battle for public opinion, and Putin’s war in Ukraine has—in an age of mass-media imagery—associated Russia with an unprovoked attack on a peaceful neighbor, with mass humanitarian suffering, and with manifold war crimes. At every turn, the ensuing outrage will be an obstacle to Russian foreign policy in the future.

More at Foriegn Affairs

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have no idea what Russia "winning" would even look like? All Ukrainians dead? All of them speaking Russian and swearing loyalty to Putin?
Ukraine is still going to be Ukraine even if it is annexed into Greater Russia.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I have no idea what Russia "winning" would even look like? All Ukrainians dead? All of them speaking Russian and swearing loyalty to Putin?
Ukraine is still going to be Ukraine even if it is annexed into Greater Russia.

We already know what Russia winning looks like because Ukrainians experienced it in the 1930's when Stalin damn near DID kill all of them.
He didn't shove them in ovens, he just enforced a near total blockade to food aid shipments and took AWAY the very food Ukrainians were growing.
It became so extreme that even the presence of a handful of seeds meant getting shipped off to a gulag or executed in public.

Ukrainians eventually resorted to cannibalism.
In other words, a pogrom of the cruelest proportions imaginable.

People who are grandparents today made sure their children and grandchildren knew this history.

Also, Ukrainians do NOT "remain" Ukrainians...they didn't for one simple reason...Stalin did ethnic cleansing.
He moved Russians INTO those eastern provinces (oblasts) so the history points to the fact that after that, there WERE
few if any Ukrainians still living in Donestk and Luhansk.
Ukrainian old farts recall traveling back there and seeing homes that used to belong to them now owned by Russians,
knowing there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it.

That's not me talking, flaming or being "unhinged"....it's history.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have no idea what Russia "winning" would even look like?

BINGO

Russia CANNOT win. Putin CANNOT win.

Because none of this went off like it was supposed to. It's a blunder of Trumpian proportions.

Question is...will Vlad Putin choose to die on this mountain? Or will he choose to fight again another day.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Kinda like Palestinians?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think the "settlers" raze the Palestinian houses and build much nicer ones, but they do steal the orchards, farms, and water. Occupying land seized in conflict is illegal as hell.

This whole anti-Ukrainian thing is so crazy. Leon Trotsky was Ukrainian. Kruschev was practically Ukrainian. He was born just east of the border, but spent much of his youth in Ukraine. Specifically in the Donestk region. That's where he became an activist and eventually rose in the Communist Party. I suppose old red-baiters in America are enjoying one part of the old USSR beating up another part of the USSR.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I think the "settlers" raze the Palestinian houses

I think Chunk knows that, just being cute.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Your arguments are either consistent or disingenuous. When I see you argue for other disenfranchised, brutalized victims of crimes against humanity beyond the current crises in Ukraine, I’ll take your arguments seriously.

Last edited by chunkstyle; 03/07/22 06:56 PM.
T
T
Look! It's a squirrel!

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
As long as Putin is in power he will not lose. Just not gonna happen. The question is, however, interesting. The Ukraines have claimed to have killed over 11,000 Russians. They also have captured a number of soldiers as well (haven't seen how many). In addition to that there have been individual and groups of soldiers who have surrendered. Virtually every one of our retired military who have weighed into Putin's actions seem to think that the Russian effort is REALLY done poorly. Their troops also seem to be abandoning their equipment. I watched a bunch of farmers playing with a Russian tank which had been abandoned and out of fuel. Now consider that virtually the entire rest of the world is ranking on Russia as well. If this thing can continue for a few more weeks there will be few Ukraines left except those fighting the Russians and there will be less of those over time as well. So, if Putin wins he will win the land but not the people. The whole deal is just very strange.

Putin, obviously, doesn't want anybody to know the truth. He is flat out denying that he is at war with Ukraine and sends anybody who says so to prison for 15 years which, apparently, is a lot given that somebody who murders gets about 6 years (heard that on tv and may not be right). Apparently, however, they still have the net so the truth is known and there are, right now, thousands of Russians in prison for knowing the truth (basically).

Now there are thoughts to shut down the Russian sale of oil. When that happens they are done. OH, they are also likely to run out of food in Russia as well as everything else. Russia/Putin has, basically, lost or will pretty soon. All Putin has left is war with nukes.

If Putin does that he will die. Lots of us will die as well. I suspect that he knows that and is ready to die for his cause because there just isn't anywhere to go or something else to do. This is especially true if he is not right in the head which many already think.

Basically, winning and losing is quickly becoming just silly phrases that don't mean a damned thing when everything is dead.

Last edited by jgw; 03/07/22 07:44 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard