WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tatuma Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What's the worst that could happen?

Interesting argument.

TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
enthusiast
enthusiast
There is no existence without property.

He assumes that millions of people losing their liberty, their existence in a global economic depression is somehow less catastrophic then if you added some irrelevancies like global flooding and political, social, environmental and biological collapse. Everything but the flooding will necessarily happen if there is a global economic depression.

It's like choosing between getting hit in the head with a sledgehammer or a wreckingball.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Originally Posted by Irked
There is no existence without property.

He assumes that millions of people losing their liberty, their existence in a global economic depression is somehow less catastrophic then if you added some irrelevancies like global flooding and political, social, environmental and biological collapse. Everything but the flooding will necessarily happen if there is a global economic depression.

It's like choosing between getting hit in the head with a sledgehammer or a wreckingball.

You'll have to do better than that... as it stands, your "argument" is a non sequitur, you mention existence and property as equivalents, without justification, and then equate economic depression with liberty and existence, again without justification, and in fact without any link between the two (except 'existence'?)

In any event, I might very well survive an attack with a sledgehammer, but a wrecking ball, well... it's big, and maybe I could get out of the way?

Given enough warning anyway...

and assuming I'm paying attention...

Castigat Ridendo Mores
(laughter succeeds where lecturing fails)

"Those who will risk nothing, risk everything"
enthusiast
enthusiast
That an individual's existence is reliant on property is a given. (Not talking about equivalencies here. The individual also needs oxygen to exist and yet oxygen and existence are not equivalents.) One does not get very far when one's givens are rejected.

Tatuma Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
If an individual still has his property, but it now just happens to be an underwater park, that should not negate his existence. The property still gets oxygen but just through a slower diffusional medium.

TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
old hand
old hand
Buy land near the coast that is 35 feet above current sea level and currently zoned 'agricultural'. Lemons to lemonade.

Or perhaps, "Heavens to Murgatroid, Exit Stage UP!"
[Linked Image from alohadude.net]

"I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct." J. Coleman (Founder of the Weather Channel poo-poos Globwarm)
If 80% of the earth's population is killed off that would leave a lot more property to divy up among the survivors. If you happen to live in a country like the U.S. that will feel the least ammount of effect from it, and have the economic means to move or hold onto property inland where it's possible to protect yourself, your odds continue to rise toward survival.

You could even end up more comforatable without all those pesky phasants bothering you providing there are still enough of them left to grow your food, make your clothes, maintain your home(s)
and run errand for you.

Heak of a lot better odds than the lottery, providing you don't care about other people.

Every true believer is someone else's heretic.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Garden Toad
If 80% of the earth's population is killed off that would leave a lot more property to divy up among the survivors. If you happen to live in a country like the U.S. that will feel the least ammount of effect from it, and have the economic means to move or hold onto property inland where it's possible to protect yourself, your odds continue to rise toward survival.

You could even end up more comforatable without all those pesky phasants bothering you providing there are still enough of them left to grow your food, make your clothes, maintain your home(s)
and run errand for you.

Heak of a lot better odds than the lottery, providing you don't care about other people.

damn straight Garden T.

no-one ever talks about the good news of "the black death" way back when.

much more pie to divide up among the survivors, labourers were in such high demand that wages skyrocketed.

plenty of room was made for those on the up!

sure whats a tremedous calamity in the face of that!

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Exactly!

What's the worst that could happen?

"The Exalted" would have NO ONE [left wink ] to "exalt" THEM ?

------------------------------
You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time,but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.[A. Lincoln]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard