WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Jeffers Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Justice Antonin Scalia, speaking for the court, said the history of the 2nd Amendment shows its authors intended to protect the "right of the people" as individuals to have weapons, both to defend themselves and their community.

The ruling is the first in the high court's long history to strike down a gun law based on the 2nd Amendment.

But the court's ruling appeared to be narrow. Scalia stressed that nothing in today's decision casts doubts on laws that forbid felons or the mentally ill from having guns.

He also said the government can strictly regulate when and where people have guns. For example, he said guns may be prohibited near schools and in or near government buildings.

"Like most rights, the right secured by the 2nd Amendment is not unlimited," Scalia said.
Los Angeles Times

It is unclear just what the impact of the ruling will be. It may be that the biggest impact is to take an issue away from the November elections for the NRA folks.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
old hand
old hand
This is a huge victory for law and order. It is a victory for every inner city resident who lives in fear when the sun goes down and trembles with fear everytime they walk down the street to the store.

The second amendment was written to counter balance the Federal Government, and while that doesn't apply today it doesn't mean it should not be enforced.

Some on the court should go live in inner city DC for a while and then revisit their opinions:

Justice Stephen Breyer wrote a separate dissent in which he said, "In my view, there simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas."

Talk about being out of touch with America? He is the epitomy of being a limozine liberal!

A proud member of the Vast Right-wing Conspiracy, Massachusetts Chapter

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's not a blanket ruling. The opinion is carefully crafted to state bluntly that the right to keep and bear arms is NOT unlimited.

Our right to own firearms is now limited to the type of kit that was available at the time the Second Amendment was written...handguns and rifles, and the gun grabbers will enact laws that will surely try to limit even that to the point where they may get away with outlawing everything except a rusty old flintlock and a one shot pistol that you load with a powder horn and a ramrod.

In addition, the states might now try to outlaw anything that isn't "type accepted". We're not out of the woods yet by a long shot.

When the Communications Act of 1934 was passed, which stated that the airwaves belonged "to the people", did it secure our rights to the public airwaves?
Seen any "people owned" television networks or even local stations lately?

Even radio amateurs are being told what they can use on the spectrum, with "type acceptance" rules limiting what they can build and use on certain frequencies and under what type of signal format they can be used on.

So while you can still build your own six meter AM rig, you're not allowed to construct your own 70cm OCDM transceiver because type acceptance rules won't allow it.

The point I am getting at is, if you decide you're going to craft your own firearms you MIGHT run up against some obscure state or local law that says "yeah sure we allow you to own firearms...THIS KIND ONLY"

(Rusty flintlock and old derringer with a powder horn)

They might also try an end run by outlawing most forms of ammunition too.

Five to four. That says an awful lot about the moral makeup of this country.
An awful lot of folks think that we need a nanny state that tells us what we can and cannot do, and a smaller but way more powerful group believes that they can undercut today's ruling by chipping away at the sides and bottom of it till it becomes a ruling in name only, just like the Fourth Amendment.

Vigilance and determination, and a never-ending resolve to flesh out and clearly define, by whatever means is necessary, the very fiber and core of our rights, not only in the letter of the law but in the spirit of it too.

It ain't over. We've won for now but it still ain't over.

Jeff H in Occupied TX

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
While I am thankful that the SCOTUS made it clear the 2nd amendment is not absolute, I am curious how the decision is not "judicial legislation." I keep looking at the language of the amendment, and wonder how "shall not be infringed" can be read to permit regulation and other limits.

What a complete hypocrite Scalia is.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
The Supreme Court reaffirmed the right of Americans to own a gun.

Gun: A portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun) Merriam-Wesbster

A "gun" is not:

• A semi-automatic
  • An assault weapon

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
The NRA likens licensing, etc restrictive and against the spirit of the 2nd Admentment.

Americans have the "right" to own cars - but the government sets restrictions on how it can be driven, the necessary requirements to drive, and the necessary financial reserve needed in case of an accident (aka Insurance)

Guns are no different than a car - sure you can have one, but its perfectly 'ok' for the government to set guidelines to having one.

...so take THAT NRA!

Contrarian, extraordinaire

BC Offline
veteran
veteran
Justice Antonin Scalia, speaking for the court, said the history of the 2nd Amendment shows its authors intended to protect the "right of the people" as individuals to have weapons, both to defend themselves and their community.

But those people with those rights had better not bring guns into his courtroom cuz that'd be downright uncivil, scary & beyond the right of those same law abiding, rights entitled citizens... nono

- - - Bob

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I need to read the decision itself to know how they decided it before I comment. It's long. D.C. v. Heller

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 06/27/08 03:27 AM. Reason: add citation/link

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by california rick
The NRA likens licensing, etc restrictive and against the spirit of the 2nd Admentment.

Americans have the "right" to own cars - but the government sets restrictions on how it can be driven, the necessary requirements to drive, and the necessary financial reserve needed in case of an accident (aka Insurance)

Guns are no different than a car - sure you can have one, but its perfectly 'ok' for the government to set guidelines to having one.

...so take THAT NRA!

--I actually agree with your logic Rick.
It's the actual application that I worry about.

Although I bark and whine a lot (above) about how "the battle isn't over" I can see why there is a need for regulation and common sense. My rational side tells me it's crazy to let anyone just go buy an AK-47, but here's an example of what irks me about the folks who like to do the "regulating".
Let's use the car analogy, and go to the state of Maryland.

When I last visited my home state (grew up in Bethesda)
the highway patrol and county mounties were pulling people over for "pop inspections" and issuing massively priced citations for things like:

"bumper one and one half inches above stock height"

"inspection sticker fourteen millimeters too far to the right on windshield"

"faded taillight lens"

"exhaust tips protruding two inches beyond allowable distance
from rear of vehicle"

I could go on and on, but the point I'm making is that Maryland has turned into the poster child for overly aggressive en-FORCE-ment with aggro cops bristling with hair-trigger
mentalities and anyone who has lived and commuted there will tell you that owning a car in The Old Line state is almost as easy as owning a gun in the District of Columbia.
The abuses are well beyond what can be termed ridiculous and they're no longer just "isolated cases", any more than Doug Thompson's recounting of the over-amped LEO's on Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.

I'm just not real anxious to watch a new era ushered in where
any and all excuses are used to regulate guns literally to the point where the gun owner simply turns them in out of frustration at a never-ending series of abuses designed to drain them financially for merely owning a firearm.

What if the states start deciding that all gun owners should be required to purchase annual "firearm insurance" at a cost in the tens of thousands of dollars?

Suuuuuure sonny boy, we don't want to infringe upon your
kon-stit-too-shunnal raghts, we jis wanna make shur yew all
gots yer gun insurance is all in case yew killz yer-self a child.

I'm so sure something like this will be piggybacked on something called....ummmm....let's see..."Billy's Law", in memory of little Billy Fartsenberger, who was senselessly killed while snooping through the closet of his playmate's Dad when he found an unloaded pistol, then found the ammunition, then loaded the gun and turned it on himself as a joke in front of his friend.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard