WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by jgw - 06/11/24 08:38 PM
Time to Impeach Thomas
by jgw - 06/11/24 05:56 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by perotista - 06/10/24 11:53 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/10/24 06:17 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 06/06/24 05:31 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:20 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:15 AM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,170,956 my own book page
5,023,343 We shall overcome
4,204,879 Campaign 2016
3,799,114 Trump's Trumpet
3,020,885 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,300
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 9
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,095
Posts313,909
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by stereoman
I think you have a valid point, rick. I don't think it's exactly "usury", but clearly the bank(s) is (are) making a profit off of the depositors who are least able to pay, and obviously to the benefit of those depositors who can afford to maintain a minimum balance and a second account - like Scoutgal.

So what's your solution, my friend? If the bank goes down, what happens to Scout's money?

The minimum balance required is $100.00 and I must have at least $25.00 in my savings account. Not huge amounts of money, and doable for most of the people. This was, as Kap17 said, the contract Mr. Scoutgal and I signed with BofA. The first thing my father taught me about business and banking is to read anything and understand the terms before signing. If the terms aren't what you want, take your business somewhere else.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Scoutgal, from the ABC article:
All the programs carry fees, and in several states the unemployed have no choice but to use the debit cards.

It appears there was no contract to read and no personal agreement in at least some cases. This is a sweetheart deal between the states and the banks.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
K
K
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Scoutgal, from the ABC article:
All the programs carry fees, and in several states the unemployed have no choice but to use the debit cards.

It appears there was no contract to read and no personal agreement in at least some cases. This is a sweetheart deal between the states and the banks.

We don't know the whole story yet Phil. Did the person go to a BofA ATM to get their money or they went to a different ATM?

And as far as a contract, I guarantee you that there is something that the person signed when he/she got the debit card. Nobody hands out debit cards without a Terms of Service contract... no matter how small the print is.

Last edited by kap17; 02/24/09 08:50 PM.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maybe that's the case when the debit card is issued directly to the individual by a bank rep, kap. But here we're talking about a contractual agreement between the banks and the several states. Isn't it just remotely possible that the individuals in question have never seen the contract between the state and the bank? Is it possible that the state's unemployment officer only explained to the recipient that they would get their benefits through the debit card without going into all the nuances of what the individual would be charged for letting the bank handle their unemployment benefits?

Originally Posted by Scoutgal
Not huge amounts of money, and doable for most of the people.
Yes, for most of the people. But we're not talking about most of the people here, we're talking about unemployed people, people who have just been laid off from their jobs, people who may not have been given a choice as to what bank their unemployment benefits would be coming from.

Granted we're talking nickels and dimes here, but those nickels and dimes add up fast when you're unemployed.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
So what's your solution, my friend? If the bank goes down, what happens to Scout's money?
The accounts are FDIC insured - another bank will replace BofA. There are literally thousands of banks in the United States. We have no shortages of banks.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
...we're not talking about most of the people here, we're talking about unemployed people, people who have just been laid off from their jobs, people who may not have been given a choice as to what bank their unemployment benefits would be coming from.
Thank you stereoman for bringing this thread back around to its original intent.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

K
K
Maybe that's the case when the debit card is issued directly to the individual by a bank rep, kap. But here we're talking about a contractual agreement between the banks and the several states. Isn't it just remotely possible that the individuals in question have never seen the contract between the state and the bank? Is it possible that the state's unemployment officer only explained to the recipient that they would get their benefits through the debit card without going into all the nuances of what the individual would be charged for letting the bank handle their unemployment benefits?

Originally Posted by Scoutgal
Not huge amounts of money, and doable for most of the people.
Yes, for most of the people. But we're not talking about most of the people here, we're talking about unemployed people, people who have just been laid off from their jobs, people who may not have been given a choice as to what bank their unemployment benefits would be coming from.

Granted we're talking nickels and dimes here, but those nickels and dimes add up fast when you're unemployed.

So then the problem is not with the bank but with the government offical that gives out the cards. Isn't it their responsability to tell the unemployed person what the rules are when using those debit cards?

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by california rick
The accounts are FDIC insured - another bank will replace BofA.
Hmm. Interesting point.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by kap17
So then the problem is not with the bank but with the government offical that gives out the cards. Isn't it their responsability to tell the unemployed person what the rules are when using those debit cards?
It looks to me like that could be the problem. And, add to that the collusion between the banks and the gubbmint in making these oppressive rules to begin with.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard