WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by california rick
Originally Posted by EmmaG
...the weapons the drug cartels are using -- grenades, automatic weapons, etc -- are being purchased in the United States.
We can thank the "librul" NRA and their "gun shows" for this! [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Actually, the NRA does not, to my knowledge, sponsor gun shows. Gun shows have to follow the same rules of selling firearm as do local stores and private individuals. Americans cannot legally buy grenades in the US -- though the Mexican government could and probably does. The rifles being whined about are semi-automatic, not "automatic".

I am curious. Are the cartels so cash strapped that they cannot afford the pesos it would take to bribe a few federales or Mexican soldiers to turn their backs and look the other way while buds from the cartels load up from the local armory? Are we to assume that they can operate an international drug export business, but can not get military spec weapons from sources thoughout the world if they wanted to arm an army?

Do we really want Mexican officials dictating American gun laws? Do we really want an US attorney general dipstick who cannot control his raging inner fascist teaming up with Mexican police chiefs, Mexican pols, and US haters of gunowners to use Mexican narco/government violence as an excuse to re-introduce the misnamed "assault weapons ban" and other anti-gunowner legislation? What will be the nom de crisis used this time to scare the gullible and the just plain stupid into support yet a further reduction in liberty?:-)

Inspite of the usual knee-jerk mantra of "It is always America's fault", I would suggest that Mexico is to blame for its own corruptness and its own narco problem. I have no interest in seeing American grunts putting one boot into Mexico, and I have two words for the complaints of Mexican pols on this issue. You can probably guess what those two words are.
Yours,
Issodhos
P.s. And by the way, send the Jaurez mayor and his family back to Juarez unless he wants to request official sanctuary.

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The people of Villanueva said they'd had enough. Men in cowboy hats, women with hand-scrawled signs, children on bikes -- they gathered outside town and blocked the main interstate highway.

"If you can't do it, quit!" they told their police force. They demanded that the army take over.
Los Angeles Times

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
veteran
veteran
The New York Times has an article today relevant to Emma's point.

"U.S. Is Arms Bazaar for Mexican Cartels"

A quote:
Mexican authorities have long complained that American gun dealers are arming the cartels. This case is the most prominent prosecution of an American gun dealer since the United States promised Mexico two years ago it would clamp down on the smuggling of weapons across the border. It also offers a rare glimpse of how weapons delivered to American gun dealers are being moved into Mexico and wielded in horrific crimes.
italics mine

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by issodhos
Do we really want Mexican officials dictating American gun laws? Do we really want an US attorney general dipstick who cannot control his raging inner fascist teaming up with Mexican police chiefs, Mexican pols, and US haters of gunowners to use Mexican narco/government violence as an excuse to re-introduce the misnamed "assault weapons ban" and other anti-gunowner legislation? What will be the nom de crisis used this time to scare the gullible and the just plain stupid into support yet a further reduction in liberty?:-)

Well, well, well. What a surprise .:-)
Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Perhaps America would be better off if Holder were to become the Mexican Attorney General?;-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
K
K
Legalize drugs. Tax revenue from the sales would balance the budget and provide addiction prevention programs like taxes on alcohol and ciggaretes and you also take the drugs away from the black market and create legal jobs.

Then the black market will be stuck with just guns and human trafficing as main cash income activities.

Last edited by kap17; 02/26/09 10:46 PM.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can't happen, Kap, all those private prisons need prisoners. Possession of controlled substances is about the only way to keep them full and keep the money rolling in........I agree though that completely decriminalizing Marijuana would be an excellent first step.

It sounds like the Mexican situation is nearing a point of critical mass. Things are already nasty on the border and it looks like they are going to get worse. This isn't about illegals border hopping for some farm labor jobs. These are armed and dangerous....dare we call them terrorists? It really doesn't matter where they get their guns, there are plenty of illicit American arms dealers who are happy to sell all sorts of weapons anywhere in the world. Gun laws be damned. They will have no effect whatsoever. Right now it's still a problem for the justice department, it may soon become military.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by EmmaG
...the weapons the drug cartels are using -- grenades, automatic weapons, etc -- are being purchased in the United States.
Originally Posted by california rick
We can thank the "librul" NRA and their "gun shows" for this! [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted by issodhos
Actually, the NRA does not, to my knowledge, sponsor gun shows.
You're right Iss, I should have known better.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by kap17
Legalize drugs. Tax revenue from the sales would balance the budget and provide addiction prevention programs like taxes on alcohol and ciggaretes and you also take the drugs away from the black market and create legal jobs.
Originally Posted by Greger
Can't happen, Kap, all those private prisons need prisoners.
Did anyone note that today, 02/26/09, the Obama Administration told the DEA to back off from raiding California's medical marajuana stores?

Also, a bill in the California Assembly to do exactly what Kap suggests was introduced this week.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Did anyone note that today, 02/26/09, the Obama Administration told the DEA to back off from raiding California's medical marajuana stores?
Link?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Link?
Good ol' Arianna smile My guy Gil Gross says it's a done deal.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard