WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Time to Impeach Thomas
by jgw - 06/11/24 05:56 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by perotista - 06/10/24 11:53 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/10/24 06:17 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 06/06/24 05:31 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:20 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:15 AM
A question
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 01:39 AM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,169,818 my own book page
5,022,859 We shall overcome
4,204,761 Campaign 2016
3,798,993 Trump's Trumpet
3,020,824 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,300
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 9
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,095
Posts313,907
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148615 05/02/10 12:02 PM
Redheat Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I awoke to rumblings of a threatening thunder storm. It was 5:30 am on a Saturday morning and one of my two days to sleep in. The idea of getting up and engaging in my work week routine was not appealing. I played with the idea of just going back to bed but I knew the guilt would eat away at me all day. One of my co-workers had worked very hard to give me the opportunity the refusal to accept that at this late date would have been rude not to mention detrimental to my job. So after a cup of coffee and a several minutes of pondering I picked up the phone, called my daughter and told her I would be going.

I walked outside to the beginning of the anticipated thunderstorm. Lightening streaked across the sky with vigor, thunder boomed and rain began to pour from the sky. I couldn't believe I was doing this. Purposely going out into the weather at war with the world. It was too late to turn around the only option was to move forward.

I picked up the kid and her friend and we proceeded to the destination. Once we arrived we braved the weather and the lines to enter the stadium. It was the first time for the kid and my second. No matter your affiliation approaching the Big House is always a thrill. The excitement was palatable, the line of people had begun at 6:30 am. We arrived at 8:00 am and in the rain sat for three hours awaiting the main event.

Slowly the time chipped away off my watch. We were tired, wet and getting edgy from lack of food. 9:00 am came and went, 10:00 am came and went and finally they walked out and attached the plaque to the podium. Around 10:45 am the first sighting of the helicopter was viewed by the now almost 80,000 people sitting the stadium. At last it was 11:00 am and the procession began.

We sat and listened to the usual speeches and rights that go with this day. The Governor gave her speech and we all were anxious for her to complete the introduction. At last the microphone crackled and the words " of the United States of America" echoed through the stadium. He walked out and the crowd went crazy with cheers and applause. 80,000 people almost in unison jumped to their feet and enthusiastically welcomed the President of the United States to the University of Michigan 2010 Commencement ceremony.

His smile was infectious his demeanor confident. As he began to speak the crowed was intent in their focus on the words that were being spoken. He inspired, he made us laugh, he spoke of things that were truth.

It was a day that I will never forget and luckily it was a gift I was able to give my kid. No matter your politics you cannot deny that this man is a phenomenal speaker. I swore at the rain, bitched about the lines, cried, laughed and felt pride for this moment when political persuasion was irrelevant and the words that were being thrown to the winds of time, were full of hope of a better future.

Thank you Mr. President for an amazing day.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I�
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Redheat #148621 05/02/10 12:58 PM
veteran
veteran
Fantastic, Redheat.
I had a similarly inspiring day.
The first weekend of May is always our annual Human Rights Festival. Yesterday and today.
Yesterday did not disappoint. Today is lining up to be more.

I should have taken a photo or tried (my camera is acting screwy) but UGA graduation was going on just across the street.
The backdrop of the festival was the hopeful, eager young in cap and gown.
Very cool.

I would love to hear Mr Obama speak in person. I can imagine.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Link Copied to Clipboard