WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
olyve Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Posting for Greger this morning...

[Linked Image from i399.photobucket.com]
Why seedless watermelons cost more

August 1
1834 - Slavery was outlawed in the British empire with an emancipation bill.

1978 - Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds ended his streak of hitting in 44 consecutive games.

2006 - Cuban leader Fidel Castro turned over absolute power when he gave his brother Raul authority while he underwent an intestinal surgery.

Today is Jerry Garcia's Birthday.

August 2
1824 - In New York City, Fifth Avenue was opened.

1858 - In Boston and New York City the first mailboxes were installed along streets.

1926 - John Barrymore and Mary Astor starred in the first showing of the Vitaphone System. The system was the combining of picture and sound for movies.

August 3
1933 - The Mickey Mouse Watch was introduced for the price of $2.75.

1979 - Johnny Carson, the "Tonight Show" host, was on the cover of the Burbank, CA, telephone directory.

1985 - Mail service returned to a nudist colony in Paradise Lake, FL. Residents promised that they’d wear clothes or stay out of sight when the mailperson came to deliver.

August 4
1735 - Freedom of the press was established with an acquittal of John Peter Zenger. The writer of the New York Weekly Journal had been charged with seditious libel by the royal governor of New York. The jury said that "the truth is not libelous."

1944 - Nazi police raided a house in Amsterdam and arrested eight people. Anne Frank, a teenager at the time, was one of the people arrested. Her diary would be published after her death.

1983 - New York Yankee outfielder Dave Winfield threw a baseball during warm-ups and accidentally killed a seagull. After the game, Toronto police arrested him for "causing unnecessary suffering to an animal."

This is Louis Armstrong's Birthday

August 5
1833 - The village of Chicago was incorporated. The population was approximately 250.

1914 - The first electric traffic lights were installed in Cleveland, Ohio.

1944 - Polish insurgents liberated a German labor camp in Warsaw. 348 Jewish prisoners were freed.

August 6
1806 - The Holy Roman Empire went out of existence as Emperor Francis II abdicated.

1930 - Joseph Force Crater, a New York Supreme Court Justice, mysteriously disappeared. He was declared legally dead in 1939

1945 - The American B-29 bomber, known as the Enola Gay, dropped the first atomic bomb on an inhabited area. The bomb named "Little Boy" was dropped over the center of Hiroshima, Japan. An estimated 140,000 people were killed.

1981 - Fire fighters in Indianapolis, IN, answered a false alarm. When they returned to their station it was ablaze due to a grease fire.

1994 - Randolph County High School, in Wedowee, AL, was destroyed by fire. The principle's stand against interracial dating had caused much tension in the school.

August 7
1947 - The balsa wood raft Kon-Tiki, which had carried a six-man crew 4,300 miles across the Pacific Ocean, crashed into a reef in a Polynesian archipelago.

1960 - The Cuban Catholic Church condemned the rise of communism in Cuba. Fidel Castro then banned all religious TV and radio broadcasts

1974 - French stuntman Philippe Petit walked a tightrope strung between the twin towers of New York's World Trade Center.

1980 - Mount St. Helens erupted

(click image)
Photo by August Bradley
Music by Art Tatum

I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Jerry Garcia

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Jerry Garcia
LOL, I love it! I couldn't agree with him more.

Thanks, Greger. I love the music. You know I do.
RIP, Jerry.

I love the opening photo.

Morning everybody.
Hottest July ever recorded here they say.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
veteran
veteran
(late) good morning everyone. Happy birthday, Jerry G!

OK, that's enough for me, I think I'll go back to bed.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
olyve Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ralph Nader on "In Depth" right now.
Interesting!

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Good afternoon. I was at dialysis this morning, and I fell when I stood up from the recliner-My blood pressure was way too low. I bumped my head, but I am OK. But really embarrassed! blush I also scared the bejeesus out of the dialysis staff. They wanted to call an ambulance, but I would have been too mortified to go. I got my son to get me out of there PDQ!

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran
I hope that means you're feeling better now?

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Had a tooth pulled today. Sore. Hurts. And didn't get the "good" pain pills either.

Worse, I am now officially old -- will have to wear a "partial"

ugh

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
... and if you are keeping track....
$531,378.

That's the amount of money Meg Whitman spent per day on her gubernatorial campaign from May 23 to June 30.

Just to put that in some perspective: Democrat Jerry Brown has spend a little more than $377,000 total since Jan. 1. Though to be fair, labor groups did spend about $4 million on Brown's behalf from the end of May through June.

Whitman has now spent $99.7 million on her race since she first formed an exploratory committee in 2009. Since January, Whitman has spent more that $80 million on her campaign. All told, Whitman has spent $91 million of her own money on the race thus far.
Los Angeles Times

olyve Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Had a tooth pulled today. Sore. Hurts. And didn't get the "good" pain pills either.

Worse, I am now officially old -- will have to wear a "partial"

ugh
You are NOT officially old. Stop that, Phil.
You're going to go out dancing like me.
I refused the pain pills.
After being so addicted to cigarettes, all I need is a new something.

That said, oh I do feel your pain.
The teeth work I had last year!
I had a tooth pulled that took an hour. I was crying, the doctor was cussing.
All that money I spent in the early 80s to keep these problems from happening got wiped out in one little car wreck. frown

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Yes Olyve:

"You will feel some pressure" .... "Does that hurt or is it just the pressure?" ..... with me writhing in the chair (I am a wuss when it comes to dentistry) "I will give you another numbing"..... finally decided to just deal with whatever he did and after giving him a real workout the damn tooth came out -- with a piece of jawbone.

Of course it won't keep me from doing everything I enjoy, it is just something I always associated with getting old.

Hell I am old enough to remember getting my first filling with no Novocaine at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard