WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by loganrbt
There are many actions in life that have no positive or negative consequences for the actor. For example, yesterday I found a pair of eyeglasses in my cart at the grocery store. I would not have been condemned nor charged any cost for ignoring them and leaving them there. I also gained no advantage from turning them in at the store. Nobody there knows my name or where I live and the person whose glasses they were will, if reunited with the glasses will never know who turned them in. So I gain no advantage from dropping them at the customer service desk as I passed by it on the way through the store.

Common civility neither expects nor welcomes reward.
ahhh Logan.
Those were my glasses. I left my paid for packages at the customer service desk yesterday to go back step through the store to try to find my glasses that I had obviously laid down somewhere. When I returned to the front the customer service rep handed me my glasses.
Thank you!
This is a true story.
I had no idea who turned them in.

I think it's all in the eye of the beholder. I do good things and they give me pleasure to know I've helped someone. I leave nice size tips in hotel rooms for the cleaning lady I will never see. I provide and serve at the homeless shelter.
These kinds of thing enrich my existence.
I don't know what word you want to call this.
Not altruism because I get something in return? That's fine (with me) if that's what is determined here.

At this point it just seems like this discussion has become parsing words.

Numan I like your long posting too. Nice.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Another scenario:

When Jesus of Nazareth went into the Garden of Gethemene and prayed, asking his Father to, if possible, spare him from having to allow himself to be crucified, yet saying the Father's will be done, not his own, and he went on to be sacrificed for the redemption of Man, was that motivated by altruism?
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
veteran
veteran
Again, it depends on your definition of altruism, Issodhos.
Was it a selfless act? I think it was.
(let me qualify this and say, I'm not religious. This purely for the sake of the debate. I do believe Jesus existed. In what capacity, I don't know)

He did it for a reason. I suspect he thought that good things would come from it.

Putting yourself in front of a moving train to save another person would be the same thing.

To me, the giver 'getting something' (pleasure, peace, enrichment, whatever) for flinging themselves out there to do a good thing (if it really accomplishes that), is beside the point.
And it doesn't matter what you call it.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Maybe we just can't help it...

...when the volunteers placed the interests of others before their own, the generosity activated a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food or sex. Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.

Their 2006 finding that unselfishness can feel good lends scientific support to the admonitions of spiritual leaders such as Saint Francis of Assisi, who said, "For it is in giving that we receive." But it is also a dramatic example of the way neuroscience has begun to elbow its way into discussions about morality and has opened up a new window on what it means to be good.

Grafman and others are using brain imaging and psychological experiments to study whether the brain has a built-in moral compass. The results --- are showing, unexpectedly, that many aspects of morality appear to be hard-wired in the brain, most likely the result of evolutionary processes that began in other species.

SkyHawk
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by issodhos
Another scenario:

When Jesus of Nazareth went into the Garden of Gethemene and prayed, asking his Father to, if possible, spare him from having to allow himself to be crucified, yet saying the Father's will be done, not his own, and he went on to be sacrificed for the redemption of Man, was that motivated by altruism?
Yours,
Issodhos

woah there, thats built on so many assumptions I cant even begin to figure it out!

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

old hand
old hand
Another scenario:

Yours,
Issodhos

Well, first of all, get your theology right. The words of the prayer were (using the revised standard version):
My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Matthew 26: 39

And again:
My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, thy will be done.
Matthew 26: 42

You are making, as Schlack notes, a series of assumptions in your question that I reject. Most specifically, about the motivation of Jesus. And because I reject them, your question becomes spurious.

You are confusing actions based on a sense of spiritual/moral duty, regardless of consequences, with acts of volition based on temporal considerations. Judging either with the weights of the other abuses the scale and cheapens the actor as well as the actor's beliefs.

Though I suspect you reject the teachings of the Lord, Our Saviour as you reject all other compasses outside your own thought processes, you do injustice to those who follow Him by twisting his words to fit your simple polemical exercise.

Last edited by loganrbt; 04/06/09 08:19 AM.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SkyHawk
Maybe we just can't help it...

...when the volunteers placed the interests of others before their own, the generosity activated a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food or sex. Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.

Their 2006 finding that unselfishness can feel good lends scientific support to the admonitions of spiritual leaders such as Saint Francis of Assisi, who said, "For it is in giving that we receive." But it is also a dramatic example of the way neuroscience has begun to elbow its way into discussions about morality and has opened up a new window on what it means to be good.

Grafman and others are using brain imaging and psychological experiments to study whether the brain has a built-in moral compass. The results --- are showing, unexpectedly, that many aspects of morality appear to be hard-wired in the brain, most likely the result of evolutionary processes that began in other species.

I took criminal law way back in '87/88. Had a lovely bit of repartee after class with the professor about the absurdity of the whole mental illness defense argument, a line of reasoning that stems from the notion of "guilty mind" as a precursor to guilt in our system of laws and consequences. The limited knowledge of the functioning of the brain even back then suggested that the day will come when a defense is raised that one cannot be convicted of a crime that carries the mens rea requirement because all acts are but the involuntary reactions of the body to the synaptic firings of an organ in the head. She thought I was kidding. This lovely tidbit you have shared with us goes to that very point.

Of course, we are not compelled to follow the primitive firings of our brains. The entire process that we now call (thanks to M. Comte?) socialization is our collective attempt to override those basic instincts with learned behaviors rather than primitive ones. If there is a difference between us and ants, this would be it.

Good thing about altruistic acts is that, per your citation, they appear to be supported by BOTH the primal instincts and the socialization process.

Last edited by loganrbt; 04/06/09 08:28 AM.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Another scenario:

Yours,
Issodhos

Well, first of all, get your theology right. The words of the prayer were (using the revised standard version):
My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Matthew 26: 39

Please note that I was not using an exact quote, loganrbt. If I had been, I would have used quotes and cited the passage. and, just in case you are unaware of it, his words were written down differently in Matthew, Mark, and Luke -- ya know, cause they were like 3 different dudes?;-)
Yours in scriptural rectitude,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I

My opinion would be that He thought it more rewarding to do the will of His Father rather than to reject the will of His Father and accepted the "cost" of doing so. Therefore, (being of flesh?), He was motivated by something other than selflessness.
Yours,
Issodhos

old hand
old hand
Please note that I was not using an exact quote, loganrbt. If I had been, I would have used quotes and cited the passage. and, just in case you are unaware of it, his words were written down differently in Matthew, Mark, and Luke -- ya know, cause they were like 3 different dudes?;-)
Yours in scriptural rectitude,
Issodhos

Distortion of the text is distortion whether the distorted text is placed in quotation marks or not. I expect far better defense than that from you, sir!

But do, pray the, enlighten me on the distinctions among the three gospels that you find so significant. For I see not the distinctions you suggest.

Yes, it is true Matthew has the prayer being said three times, Mark only twice, and Luke but once. But I cannot find that nugget in the ever so subtle differences in phrasing that give rise to the interpretation you derive. Perhaps if you were to tell us which version you found to be the more authentic and thus more in keeping with your own interpretation, I might learn to discern so keenly.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard