WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ardy Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
At first glance, this seems like an april fool joke....
but the picture looks real
US carmaker General Motors is joining with scooter maker Segway to make a new type of two-seat electric vehicle.

The prototype, which will be debuted in New York, is aimed at urban driving. GM aims to start making them by 2012.

The vehicle, named Puma, can go as far as 35 miles on a single charge. It will use lithium-ion batteries.

GM, having been bailed out by the US government as car sales have dropped, is looking to smaller vehicles to secure its future.

Puma stands for personal urban mobility and accessibility.
link

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
old hand
old hand
Makes perfect sense. BMW had a motorcycle very similar in appearance a few years back. Never brought it to the states; I was going to buy one. This is an even better concept. But Segway announced they were folding several weeks ago, so that makes me wonder.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
old hand
old hand
I watched the debut on the "Today Show" this AM.
I was much less than impressed. It looked kinda like a bigger, 2 person Segway, with training wheels, and didn't inspire much confidence from a safety standpoint.
They asked the rep what the price would be, and he mumbled something that sounded like 1/3rd the price of a ???... If so... I'd predict a limited success.
We live near the Villages in Florida, and the newest style golfcarts are much more impressive. But.. some of the golf carts also sell for nearly $40,000.

Life is Good!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Please.....that thing looks ridiculous. And it will be street legal? Consider the Japanese Kei Trucks: comfortable, enclosed, heated and air conditioned, capable of 55 mph. Lights, turn signals. all the amenities. 50+ Miles per gallon. Not legal on the streets of the United States. It's available in a two seat, 2 or 4 wheel drive truck or a 4 seat van. [Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
It's also available in a variety of different cars by a variety of manufacturers. All illegal in the US. [Linked Image from themotorreport.com.au]

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
We already have internal combustion vehicles of this size with that kind of mileage. But you would look cute in the Princess Kitty trim!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They also come in full electric and hybrid. The only vehicle "we" have that compares is the Smart 2 made by Mercedes. It is the only non Japanese K Car. I had the pink one in mind for your grandaughter, this is more like what I'm after [Linked Image from allterrainminitrucks.com]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not only do American manufacturers Not make a small efficient car it is illegal to drive a small efficient car in the united states. Scooters are street legal, bicycles are legal, pedestrians are legal. These cars and trucks are legal and popular everywhere in the world except the Unites States, they are legal in Canada.
Here they are rated for off road use only. Our auto manufacturers are going broke because they don't offer anything efficient and inexpensive. They can't! it's illegal to drive them here! For you Minnesotans they also come in a tracked version for use in the snow [Linked Image from japanese4x4minitrucks.com]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Makes perfect sense. BMW had a motorcycle very similar in appearance a few years back. Never brought it to the states; I was going to buy one. This is an even better concept. But Segway announced they were folding several weeks ago, so that makes me wonder.

But looking at Segway's website, they have no news about shutting down but do feature this partnership prominently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hadn't heard anything about Segway shutting down, either. I think the ideas are good, and partnerships will probably be necessary. We'll have to get used to the idea. Personally, I am looking at an electric motorcycle from Electric Motorsport. Most of the other electric motorcycles are a) too expensive and b) funny looking. The Vectrix is also coming down in price, so it may be an option, but I still like being on a motorcycle better.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ardy
At first glance, this seems like an april fool joke....
but the picture looks real
US carmaker General Motors is joining with scooter maker Segway to make a new type of two-seat electric vehicle.

Puma stands for personal urban mobility and accessibility.
link

---It should stand for "I have a ton of money and feel like wasting some of it on a glorified electric wheelchair that costs as much as a good used economy car."

My point is, the hordes of average salaried workers who desperately need economical personal transportation DON'T NEED expensive specialized vehicles, they need all purpose ones that can go anywhere.
Why? Because they can't afford to pay top dollar for TWO vehicles.
If you live IN New York City, I mean right IN the city itself, you're most likely fairly well to do, but otherwise you will find yourself in need of something that will go faster than 35 miles per hour and ply the freeway so you can get home FROM your work in the city.

GM is still missing the point.

BTW, the Segway also costs as much as a used economy car.
My wife and I are buying our daughter her first car this month, a 2004 Nissan for six thousand dollars. That's less than two thousand over the price of a Segway.

GM needs to put four wheels on this thing, up the speed to 65, and increase the range to 50 miles. In other words, they need to continue developing affordable electric CARS.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard