WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by issodhos
I have always held to the adage that if one is looking for trouble, one is going to find trouble. So, the first thing one does to avoid trouble is to not look for trouble, and preferably, if it can be avoided, don't go where trouble may find you.

I agree with you, Issodhos.

Where we differ is that I regard using a gun, carrying a gun, and owning a gun to be looking for trouble.

I have never owned a gun, and I have always avoided trouble (for instance, I have never visited Texas). It has worked out well for me.

I did remove a pistol from the home of my aged mother and dispose of it. In her old age, she became subject to sudden and irrational rages, usually directed against her neighbors. I didn't want to take any chances. I could imagine newpaper headlines: "Octogenarian goes on deadly rampage: kills neighboring family of four." Not all dangers of gun violence come only from young people.

You may think that I was over-reacting, but she came after me once with a baseball bat. I was surprised at how strong her swing was when she was in one of her rages.

Originally Posted by Ardy
I can see how some people may wish to have a gun in their house... although I really prefer to live somewhere where I feel OK leaving my doors unlocked.

I quite agree with you, Ardy. I live on "a stone, set in the silver sea, which serves it as a moat...against the envy of less happier lands."

Americans have never been noted for their self-control, but in my lifetime I have seen an alarming increase of mental instability among those people whom I deliberately avoid.

An obsession with firearms, I regard as a primary indicator of dangerous mental deficiency. At the least, it is an indicator of the unhealthy individualism that has been so prominent a part of American society.

When they feel threatened, why is their immediate reaction to get a gun, in order to protect themselves alone, as if they were isolated in a rock fort under attack by a horde of savages? I prefer to "risk" isolated and improbable assault, and bend my efforts to living in a peaceful, orderly and caring society, surrounded by a variety of social networks, and playing my part in them.

If Americans put more effort into caring for each other, and moderated their hypertrophied individualism, then they would not need guns.

-

old hand
old hand
Hear! Hear!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Isso is correct. There are in this case exceptions to every rule. It happens that people who are aware and who do take precautions and do not venture into places and things that might put them in harms way are set upon by criminals, but those people are the exceptions.

One only need to look at animal kingdom to see weak ones culled from the heard. Always? No. Sometimes even the weak ones get away. Sometimes even the strong ones are caught, but most of the time the weak ones are targeted and taken by the killers. Lions don't generally hunt and kill other lions or jaguars or leopards because they know that those animals are similarly "armed'. Even in a herd of giraffe lions are going to go after the one that is perceived to be weak, or alone or preferably both. And even then lions will attack in groups, to lessen the risk.

Study a bit of criminology and you'll quickly find that dirt bags who prey on other people say time and time and time again that the reason they chose a particular person or place was because the person or place presented an opportunity that was perceived as a lesser risk than other choices.

As Isso says - You don't want to be seen. You want to be damn near invisible to criminals. Wear a t-shirt with anything written on it increases your visibility. Wear a shirt with "I hate guns and I am not armed" is more than foolish and greatly increases your visibility.

Ask a cop about protecting your home from bad guys. He'll tell you that no home is burglar proof, but you can do things that will greatly reduce the risk of having your home broken into. Go back to - 'You don't want to be seen". Where you live and how it appears that you live can bring attention to your home or can make you damn near invisible. If your home has an alarm system and a sign saying so, if you have lights on in appropriate places, if bushes near windows do not obstruct view from the street, all those things you know or should already know when practiced reduce your risk of being a victim. Add yapping dogs, radio or tv noise and a varied routine and the bad guy is more likely to pick an easier target. Put a sign on the door that says "I hate guns and there are no guns in this house" and you may very well increase your risk of being burgled.

Like it or not firearms are a deterrent. You don't have to own one, but in America you benefit from the fact that other law abiding citizens do own firearms.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
Like it or not firearms are a deterrent. You don't have to own one, but in America you benefit from the fact that other law abiding citizens do own firearms.

I have no problems with what you say Mickey. On the other hand, I do not think it is necessary to have zero restrictions on fire arms in order to achieve that objective.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

That may be true, but that statement is a non-sequitor from the rest of your post, and I would really love to see some factual backup for the claim you make.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
veteran
veteran
Not presuming anything, Mellowicious. Simply seeking and offering clarification. As to the data, if I recall correctly suicides as a cause of death nationally were roughly twice as high as homicides. I do not remember the year, but I do not think it was more than a few years ago.
Yours,
Issodhos

Your recollection is incomplete as it relates to this discussion. Suicide by firearm is in large part restricted to men. It's not a preferred choice for most female suicides.

So - I am not a greater risk to myself from firearms (which was the original point of the discussion) than I am from others wielding guns. As a non-gun person, it's highly unlikely I will ever harm myself with a gun, as I generally refuse to handle them.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
ut a sign on the door that says "I hate guns and there are no guns in this house" and you may very well increase your risk of being burgled.

And it is as easily true that someone who is looking to steal guns would leave me alone.

This is all very much up-in-the-air, and it's doubtful that any of us truly think like criminals - for one thing, I have a strong suspicion that we're brighter than the average criminal.

It's just that I get tired of the "gun control freaks run wild" label. Just as I would never label my gun-owning friends at RR as "gun-toting, trigger happy lunatics," it would be nice to get an acknowledgment that not all people who dislike guns are out to strip everyone of their Constitutional Rights. It's also true that we're not out skipping through the park thinking life's a bowl of cherries.

It's just that we choose to live our lives without arms. Oh, yes - and we vehemently wish that others would, as well.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 04/07/09 05:02 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
It's just that we choose to live our lives without arms. Oh, yes - and we vehemently wish that others would, as well.

And (at least in my case) we favor the sorts of fire arms regulations that would be consonant with the phrase "a well regulated militia." In other words, rights to own and sell guns accompanied by responsiblities.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ardy
And (at least in my case) we favor the sorts of fire arms regulations that would be consonant with the phrase "a well regulated militia." In other words, rights to own and sell guns accompanied by responsiblities.

Yes, isn't it interesting how much those in the gun lobby insist upon their "rights," and how seldom they talk about their responsibilities.

-

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Not presuming anything, Mellowicious. Simply seeking and offering clarification. As to the data, if I recall correctly suicides as a cause of death nationally were roughly twice as high as homicides. I do not remember the year, but I do not think it was more than a few years ago.
Yours,
Issodhos

Your recollection is incomplete as it relates to this discussion. Suicide by firearm is in large part restricted to men. It's not a preferred choice for most female suicides.

So - I am not a greater risk to myself from firearms (which was the original point of the discussion) than I am from others wielding guns. As a non-gun person, it's highly unlikely I will ever harm myself with a gun, as I generally refuse to handle them.

Bingo! Give that gal a C-gar! I was not restricting my comment to firearms related suicides or homicides, Mellowicious. That is why I wrote "by any means". But, you are partially correct. Females are less likely then males to commit suicide using any method, and far less likely to do so using a firearm. There for you are even safer than you thought. One of the bothersome things about how statistics are often used is that they are quite general in nature and address at best a collectivist view of society. In other words, x number of people are affected by something so action is taken on behalf of the herd whether it applies to the entire herd or not. You, however, in pointing out that you have differing demographics, characteristics, and preferences, have shown that you are not as threatened or in danger of death from a firearm as you are from other things. In other words, you spoke and acted from the point of view of an individualist and have claimed your right to choose whether to exercise your right to privately own and use a firearm.

Hopefully you will not selfishly deny others the right to choice whether or not to exercise a right.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard