WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Doug Thompson
Try talking to a few centrist Democrats and Republicans.
I think that should explain your statement. It is obvious to me that what people consider as centrist are really conservative and thus anyone to their left is considered leftist and thus their considered opinion.

I guess if these folks saw a real leftist in power they would sh&t in their pants and fall dead.

Using all resources available to government to attend to the welfare of our nation is not an option or leftist agenda but is an obligation dictated by the Constitution.

Honcho
old hand
Honcho
old hand
Originally Posted by stereoman
Originally Posted by Doug Thompson
I did get my facts straight, for Christ's sake. The same New York Times story you quoted from had this:

Even as Americans strongly support Mr. Obama, they do not necessarily support all of his initiatives. For example, 58 percent disapprove of his proposal to bail out banks.
So it does. I stand corrected. Sorry to pi$$ you off so mightily.

Steve:

It wasn't so much of a case of being pissed off, although the "get your facts straight Mr. Thompson" did bother me because it was not true and the tone was not what I expect on this forum. That aside, this was a difficult column to write because I expected so much from Obama. I voted for him and now I feel like I've been had. As I said in the beginning of the column, it is still early but the indicators bother me a great deal: the continuation of rendition, the flip-flop on lobbyists and the desire for secrecy.

As one who usually writes in a bombastic style, I tried to temper my observations in this case because I still want to hope for the best and I based the comment about the public opinion on the bank bailout on the poll. I cited my source and I noted that the public still backed Obama on the other issues. To have that same article thrown back in my face with a snide remark to get my facts straight when my facts and citation were in order did piss me off. It also hurt.

--Doug

old hand
old hand
How much did Jesus accomplish in a whole lifetime?...

And did you really expect Obama to get it all done already?Less than three months, and he hasn't fulfilled all of his promises...

An obvious failure!

While I respect the old... I look to the young for they will own the debt, the risk, the danger of a much smaller world.

They are not dumb... not naive... not all dedicated to the preservation of pot, rap, and free sex. Anyone who has not been in the company of our future leaders, may believe this, but in the face of a future that is increasingly looking to be screwed up, the overwhelming feeling is one of hope. Right now, that "hope" is bound up with President Obama.

So, yeah... I don't like Geithner, or Summers, and I wish the lobbyists would go away. I despise the strength of the MIC, the idea that elections last 4 years, and that there isn't a single member of Congress who is "pure". I don't trust the CIA, or even the FBI. I want to nationalize the banks. I want strong CAFE standards. I don't want to give more of my kids money away to vested interests... and I want to tax the no-risk Capitalist billionaires at 95%.

If Obama wants to talk to the Heads of State of non friendly countries, so be it. If he talks to the families and children of our enemies, it's ok with me. If Michelle has bare arms or a colored sweater, or touches the Queen, I don't care. If we don't bomb Iran or North Korea, I'm willing to wait awhile to see if change is possible. If we don't support Israel 100% on whatever they want, or do, I'll be ready to listen to both sides before going to war.

I think we're wrong as hell to be giving away our wealth to fix the economic problems, but also know that I'm not smart enough to know how to fix the problem.

Am I totally in agreement with the president's plans? No. Will I vote for him in four year? I don't know.

I think that the President is a human being, fraught with the same kind of weaknesses that most of us have. I also think that he has done a magnificent job in walking a thin line... and so far not reneged on the basic tenets that he set forth during his campaign. Has he changed? Sure. If he did not adjust in the light of circumstances, I would be suspect of self confidence arrogance.

Now... here's are two questions that I'd like to see answered:

How would, could, should the President handle lobbyists?

How should he handle the "bipartisan" thing?

If you were in his position... How would you have handled the very things that you cited as being less than successful.

Don't come after me for the Jesus reference. It's hyperbole, but for good reason.

Last edited by itstarted; 04/08/09 10:11 PM. Reason: too slow in my edit :)

Life is Good!
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by rporter314
Using all resources available to government to attend to the welfare of our nation is not an option or leftist agenda but is an obligation dictated by the Constitution.

By the what?:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by itstarted

And did you really expect Obama to get it all done already?Less than three months, and he hasn't fulfilled all of his promises...

An obvious failure!

Well, let's see. He is reported to have helped cater a wedding, He threw one heck of a picnic, He jump-started some fellow named Lazuras, He picked up a few buds along the way who didn't seem to really get it, He did some preaching, Oh! And He apparently offered himself up as a sacrifice for the sins of the world and thus made personal redemption available to any individual who so wished to accept it. It is also reported that he then arose from the dead and eventually made his way to cleaner more well-lighted place (tip of hat to Ernest H.)

It is apparently true that it took a "lifetime" for Him to manage it all, but then, He did not have the staff of thousands, the support of the multitudes, really, really big missiles, nor the near unlimited funds of a Caesar -- er President.:-)

But then, unless one viewed candidate Obama as some sort of messiah (and there were and are certainly some who gave every impression of doing so (perhaps no more so than himself);-)), one recognized him for the polished pol he is. He will do his bit of damage to America while continuing to serve the same masters the others served.
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
old hand
old hand
He will do his bit of damage to America while continuing to serve the same masters the others served.

Well, I guess we know where you stand, Iss! grin

It's time to pile on!!!
tonbricks tonbricks tonbricks

Life is Good!
Honcho
old hand
Honcho
old hand
Originally Posted by itstarted

An obvious failure!

Now... here's are two questions that I'd like to see answered:

How would, could, should the President handle lobbyists?

How should he handle the "bipartisan" thing?

If you were in his position... How would you have handled the very things that you cited as being less than successful.

Don't come after me for the Jesus reference. It's hyperbole, but for good reason.

First of all, I didn't call Obama a failure. I said he has failed to live up to some of the promises he made.

How would I handle lobbyists? I'd stick with the promise to keep the out of my administration.

Bi-partisanship? I'd ignore the GOP leadership and work to build coalitions with moderate Republicans. If rebuffed, I'd try again. I wouldn't stop and run everything through the leadership of the Democrats in Congress. Building coalitions in a Congress divided by bi-partisanship won't be easy but it is impossible if you simply stop trying.

All I've ever really expected out of any elected official is that they be someone who keeps their word. Too many don't. Clinton didn't. Neither didn't Bush. I had high hopes for Obama. He promised to be different, to be an agent of change. So far, he has failed to keep his word too many times. That's a bad start.

--Doug

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by issodhos
Well, let's see. He is reported to have helped cater a wedding, He threw one heck of a picnic, He jump-started some fellow named Lazuras, He picked up a few buds along the way who didn't seem to really get it, He did some preaching, Oh! And He apparently offered himself up as a sacrifice for the sins of the world and thus made personal redemption available to any individual who so wished to accept it. It is also reported that he then arose from the dead and eventually made his way to cleaner more well-lighted place (tip of hat to Ernest H.)

so thats obamas first hundred days..

what did Jesus do?

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

old hand
old hand
Total disregard for the laws of inertia.
Short term perspective.

Other than that, pretty interesting prose. Could pass for "Buck" Henry over at CNN.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
old hand
old hand
All I've ever really expected out of any elected official is that they be someone who keeps their word. Too many don't. Clinton didn't. Neither didn't Bush. I had high hopes for Obama. He promised to be different, to be an agent of change. So far, he has failed to keep his word too many times. That's a bad start.

I hope for the same thing. That the platform presented would be the basis for the goals of the office. I look at this (for the present) as an intent to make changes. In my wildest imagination, I cannot conceive of any way to immediately stop the lobbying in Congress. At best, I would hope for some sincere ethics reform, but then, that is not the prerogative of the President. If we eliminate all who have dealt with lobbyists, there would be no one left. (sheesh... someone take issue with THAT!)

Without going item by item, I am hoping for directional change. I DO believe that this must start with rhetoric (but not "Empty " rhetoric). Explain... clearly... so that the people understand. Perhaps that's where Obama may be different. Even better than Clinton, Obama seems to be able to connect. Talk to the people first. Then listen. Somehow, I believe that he listens , too.

It looks to me as if this two way conversation is beginning to work. Not perfectly, but for an instance the withdrawal of some candidates upon disclosure of tax problems. Yes... Geithner made it through, and I for one didn't like that at all... but it stopped there. The firing of the GM CEO was a result of "listening". Hopefully, "listening" will change to bailout to some form of nationalization... a possibility that was not even considered a few weeks ago.

Medicare reform, reining in the MIC, budget restraint, earmarks, and tax increases for the wealthy were so far below the radar for the past decade that only dreamers would think that change could happen. Perhaps it won't happen, but so far, the possibility is still on the table. 80 days in, and still on the table.

435 Congressmen, 9 Supreme Court Justices, 1 President. Everyone is in place, the same way it has been for decades. We elected the president on the promise of "change". Certainly it would be nice to wave a magic wand, but it's really one man against the crowd. So far, I see President Obama as holding his own, and when I look around, I don't see anyone who would be doing much better. I liked what I heard before the election but don't expect 100%. If there are going to be changes, I'll listen to the why's.

And as to the main question?... I like the style, and don't think it has been too much. As to the substance? Seems to me to be too early to pass judgement.

That's just my opinion.

Life is Good!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard