WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
EmmaG #117899 07/02/09 01:25 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
You are very fortunate, Mickey. About four and a half years ago I made radical changes to my diet and started exercising. There are some medical problems that diet and exercise can't cure, unfortunately.
Emma, I'm with Mickey on the avoidance of prescription drugs, but I do understand that some people need to take them. (I'm gonna speculate that Mick would agree.)

The issue I have with prescription meds is twofold: 1.) Doctors prescribe them too soon and too easily...and 2.) Some patients take them so that they don't have to do the work. They eat anything and don't exercise... because the pills will make it all okay.

Which they probably will for a while. But then what? And in the meantime, what else is happening inside and out of sight?

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
veteran
veteran
Reading this, and checking back to your original post, I'm not sure whether you're upset with the pharmaceutical companies, the physicians, or the patients - most likely all three bear responsibility, I think you're saying?

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
EmmaG #117904 07/02/09 02:11 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by EmmaG
I've decided at this point in life it is better to exercise and make radical changes to my diet rather than to take a handful of feckin chemicals everyday.

You are very fortunate, Mickey. About four and a half years ago I made radical changes to my diet and started exercising. There are some medical problems that diet and exercise can't cure, unfortunately.

Emma

Indeed, and there always will be, aging being what it is. But the good news is that you likely avoided other debilitating conditions by being proactive. That's my goal. I want to avoid all I possibly can for as long as I can. And I don't want to take pills.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Reading this, and checking back to your original post, I'm not sure whether you're upset with the pharmaceutical companies, the physicians, or the patients - most likely all three bear responsibility, I think you're saying?
The thread...like most conversations...has done a little meandering. wink

Initially I was saying that a script can have a laundry list of possible side effects and yet remain easily available...while a homeopathic is banished from the shelves for one side effect that resulted in 130 cases in 10 years. (I don't know how many doses of Zicam have been used in those 10 years, but my guess is it would easily be in the millions.) My original upset was with the FDA.

Recent posts aren't exactly addressing the specific topic, but are still somewhat in the ballpark in that they are concerned with chemical vs natural. Not being a big fan of pharm. companies, slipshod doctors or lazy patients, I joined in without giving that variation on the theme a second thought.

I'm fine with the thread going with the flow of the conversation. I'll leave it up to the mods if they think it needs re-directing. cool

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Almost Naomi
Emma, I'm with Mickey on the avoidance of prescription drugs, but I do understand that some people need to take them. (I'm gonna speculate that Mick would agree.)

The issue I have with prescription meds is twofold: 1.) Doctors prescribe them too soon and too easily...and 2.) Some patients take them so that they don't have to do the work. They eat anything and don't exercise... because the pills will make it all okay.

Which they probably will for a while. But then what? And in the meantime, what else is happening inside and out of sight?

Exactly. I'm not saying that our Emma is avoiding the hard work and taking pills as an easy way out. I know you are not saying that either Almost Naomi.

I work with 2 people who have recently been diagnosed with Diabetes 2. Both are really cool people. I like them very much. They were both told, so they tell me, that their doctors said that with a change in diet and exercise they stand a good chance of not taking medication to control their Diabetes. What do you think they are doing? They're taking the pills and slamming down fried chicken and burritos and chalupas and fists full of taquitos at lunch. (They often eat in the office. That's why I know.) I'm of course jealous.

The medication they take keeps their blood sugar somewhat normal and they pretty much carry on business as usual. Considering this I am not jealous.

It's their business and their lives. I like them both very much. I personally would prefer anyway out rather than drugs. I do not believe in the brother's keeper perspective or method. I have my own life and crap to handle.

Right, AN, doctors will give you script at the drop of a hat, but then satisfy their professional self image by strictly controlling the prescription. Take Zocor for example. I'm not aware of anyone abusing feckin Zocor. LOL! <I'm picturing guys laying around at the bus station glassy eyed with a negative cholesterol high>

I once had a 2 week vacation coming up two days before my refill was due to be filled. The doctor's office didn't want to cut me some slack and tell the pharmacy to let me pick it up two days early.

Long story short, when I finally got through the office nazis and assistants and the doc called me back, I chewed his butt off. I told him he made me feel like a drug addict begging for pills. All I wanted was an early prescription so that I could go out of town. And you know what the SOB did? He counted the feckin days that I would need them and wrote the script for exactly that amount and said when I returned I would have to call his office for the remaining amount. All that so that I wouldn't dare be walking around with a few extra Zocor in my pocket!

The thing is he didn't bat an eye putting me on the crap to begin with. That was never an issue. He never told me that it could cause liver damage and a host of other things. Nooooooooo. But, by God, he was going to make certain that his pill pushing self wasn't about to send me out on the street with a few spare Zocor! Shìt, I might have sold them in the alley behind a senior center!

Psssst! Psssst! Zocor! You with the walker, Zocor? Psssst!

Or I may have taken them myself trying to cop a Zocor high. LOL!

Doctors and pills, don't get me started. I have stories.

Now there are great doctors out there. My son-in-law is one of them. We, the public, must share the blame with them. They cannot prescribe us what we refuse to take. They can't make us take the easy way out. To a large degree we are just as guilty for putting too much trust in them and being too willing to take their advice without question. The information is there if you care to look for it.

I like the holistic approach which in part expects me to be an equal partner in regulating my own health. Wow! Imagine that. You mean I might have to put a bit of work into getting and keeping myself well? eek

Ain't none of us getting out of this alive and no one knows when they are scheduled to time out. However, we can logically increase the odds that our time will be extended and that that time will be relatively pain and disease free.

The real problem is of course, none of us Boomers ever thought we'd reach this point. We certainly misspent our youth (or yute if you're from New Jersey). It's been one hell of ride so far, no?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
I once had a 2 week vacation coming up two days before my refill was due to be filled. The doctor's office didn't want to cut me some slack and tell the pharmacy to let me pick it up two days early.

Long story short, when I finally got through the office nazis and assistants and the doc called me back, I chewed his butt off. I told him he made me feel like a drug addict begging for pills. All I wanted was an early prescription so that I could go out of town. And you know what the SOB did? He counted the feckin days that I would need them and wrote the script for exactly that amount and said when I returned I would have to call his office for the remaining amount. All that so that I wouldn't dare be walking around with a few extra Zocor in my pocket!

He probably gets a fee every time you go to his office, that is quite common.

The quacks like to pile up the office visits; if it makes life difficult for you, what is it to them? Most of the quacks are just in it for the money.

old hand
old hand
tea tree oil? tell me more!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
numan #117922 07/02/09 10:15 AM
veteran
veteran
Don't know about you, Mick, but when I've had that happen it's been because the insurance company would only pay for a 30-day prescription, with a very short leeway so it ended up being maybe 33 or 35 days between refills.

Doesn't mean that's what happened with you, or that your doctor isn't an ass - but it is one possible explanation.

Curious - do you still have the same doc?

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The real problem is of course, none of us Boomers ever thought we'd reach this point.
offtopic
Ain't that the truth! (pronounced trute...if you're from Brooklyn) I can remember when I was a kid hearing my mother say she wanted to live to see the new century come in. I did the math and thought, I'll be 52 in 2000. I'll probably be dead by then.

52 seemed sooooo old. Hell, I'd take 52 in a heartbeat now. There are certainly advantages to being older...but sometimes the speed of life blindsides me. Like when I hear a song, smell a smell, see a photo...have sense memories of earlier times. Life seemed far more limitless/open/vast then than it does now. Which sometimes makes me sad. cry

But your post made me laugh, Mick...so thanks for providing a good start to this morning!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Don't know about you, Mick, but when I've had that happen it's been because the insurance company would only pay for a 30-day prescription, with a very short leeway so it ended up being maybe 33 or 35 days between refills.

Doesn't mean that's what happened with you, or that your doctor isn't an ass - but it is one possible explanation.

Curious - do you still have the same doc?

No ma'am.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard