WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by perotista - 06/01/24 07:45 PM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,122,727 my own book page
5,021,455 We shall overcome
4,201,038 Campaign 2016
3,796,589 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,064 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,848
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Students at Lincoln University with a body mass index of 30 or above, reflective of obesity, must take a fitness course that meets three hours per week. Those who are assigned to the class but do not complete it cannot graduate

Overweight won't graduate

IMO... Body size has nothing to do with whether or not someone has learned course content. We're talking apples and oranges (or apples and cheeseburgers maybe). Where does it end? Do students who smoke not graduate? Students who consume alcohol? Smoke pot? Get speeding tickets?

Plus...students pay to get an education in the field of their choice. The fact that it's a purchase should allow the buyer to retain a reasonable amount of control.

Any thoughts?

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
H
old hand
old hand
H
Originally Posted by Almost Naomi
IMO... Body size has nothing to do with whether or not someone has learned course content. We're talking apples and oranges (or apples and cheeseburgers maybe). Where does it end? Do students who smoke not graduate? Students who consume alcohol? Smoke pot? Get speeding tickets?

Plus...students pay to get an education in the field of their choice. The fact that it's a purchase should allow the buyer to retain a reasonable amount of control.

Any thoughts?

ALthough I agree wholeheartedly with the first statement above, I have concerns about the second. I remember two students coming into my office years ago. One was a basketball player and doing fine in the class I was teaching. His friend, however, was not, and the basetball player was there to argue his friend's case. The player's primary argument was that while he, as a basketball player, was on scholarship, his friend was paying for the class. I should, therefore, not be allowed "to fail him"?

Oh, where does it end. Should schools take the students' money and hand them diplomas? There are pluses. Such a plan would be a real time-saver. And think of the cost benefits of not having to pay teachers.

You say "reasonable," and I grant my example, IMHO, does not fall under that description. Could you give me a specific illustrating "a reasonable amount of control"?

And a brief thought on
Where does it end? Do students who smoke not graduate? Students who consume alcohol? Smoke pot? Get speeding tickets?
Smoking? I don't see a problem. But alcohol, pot and speeding tickets? It seems to me that all three, under some circumstances, could in and of themselves create a problem.

Guess I'll amend my first statement. About the degree of fat being a stupid requirement for graduation, I agree with you wholeheartedly. But that's probably 'cause I was a slightly overweight college student who got good grades.

Reading the above for typos, etc., I realized I might have sounded far too sarcastic. I didn't mean to "dump on" your idea/position, but I do see problems in all sorts of directions.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
In reading the article, I found that:

A.) The requirement is to take a class by graduation if one's body mass is in excess of 30. Nowhere does it state that students with a BMI of 30 won't graduate.

B.) The requirement was passed and put into effect in 2006 and applied to those who enrolled in 2006 or later.

C.) The author of the student newspaper article is a senior, presumably has known about the requirement for four years.

As it turns out, Lincoln University has bowed to the politically correct and dropped the class requirement. Too bad.

Now, if a student had a drinking problem, do you think requiring him or her to take a course on alcoholism would be wrong?

SkyHawk
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
When I was in college, Physical Education was required by the California State University system to satisfy a general education requirement in order to graduate. I graduated from college in May 1993.

...there's nothing wrong with requiring students to be less "well-rounded" (literally!) and more physically fit.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Almost Naomi

Any thoughts?
I totally agree with you. Furthermore, it's none of the school's/government's business. This is a first step in the "Nanny State" telling us what to eat, how much, and eventually, when. And, I wouldn't be too surprised that if some day some corp/government entity provides you with a prepackaged food allotment that you just pop into the microwave or solar oven.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Oh, where does it end. Should schools take the students' money and hand them diplomas? There are pluses. Such a plan would be a real time-saver. And think of the cost benefits of not having to pay teachers.

You say "reasonable," and I grant my example, IMHO, does not fall under that description. Could you give me a specific illustrating "a reasonable amount of control"?
I see it as similar to buying a gym membership. If you use it effectively, you get positive results. If your intention is not self-improvement from the get-go...then spending the money makes no sense at all.

Some people will get their money's worth and some won't. But I expect no one at the health club will hold anything over anyone's head if they don't come in after the first two weeks.

The point of college is to get a focused education in a field of your choice. That's what you're paying for. (Or at least that's how I've understood it all these years.) IMO, all that should be expected of a student in order to graduate is that s/he submit the required materials (on time and well done) and pass the required exams. Not attendance in class, not participation in extracurricular activities and not a certain body shape or BMI.

The course can certainly be recommended or encouraged, but I don't agree with making it a requirement.

One other thought I have on this is...I doubt obesity stems from a lack of knowledge that over-eating or eating the wrong foods causes it...or from a dearth of water aerobics or not enough tai bo in one's day. My guess is, in a good number of cases, there are deep-seated insecurities that a 3-hour-a-week class that deals in superficialities won't reverse. And the humiliation it might cause might even exacerbate the root problem.

BTW, Martha...you didn't sound sarcastic at all. And that was an interesting take on why a student should pass. Somewhat creative, albeit unreasonable on the student's part. shocked LOL

Last edited by Almost Naomi; 12/19/09 09:05 PM.

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
It is not clear from the article whether this is a public or private school, although there is one line that implies a public support component. If the latter is true, the no student "pays for" their education, so that argument is gone.

Even if purely private, the students to which it applies knew going in about the policy. So where is the right to gripe now coming from?

Without knowing the course content, it seems premature to speculate about whether it is helpful or shaming.

Having said all that, I would much prefer such paternalistic policies to be strong recommendations rather than graduation requirements. And if it is a public institution, I think it entirely out of place.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A.) The requirement is to take a class by graduation if one's body mass is in excess of 30. Nowhere does it state that students with a BMI of 30 won't graduate. Requiring the class just doesn't sit right with me (see my response to Martha). I suppose a student can slog through it in order to graduate, but I find that not particularly useful. I'm not saying no one will ever benefit from a course like that; I just think it shouldn't be a requirement.

B.) The requirement was passed and put into effect in 2006 and applied to those who enrolled in 2006 or later. This is not a justification at all...but I see that the same way I sometimes view an event that is far in the future...like it may never even happen. I think, that's so far off I might even die before I have to do such-and-such. But I don't die...and I do have to do such-and-such. LOL What I'm saying is that, as a prospective Freshman, one doesn't necessarily base enrollment in a school on what one's BMI might be in 4 years.

C.) The author of the student newspaper article is a senior, presumably has known about the requirement for four years.

As it turns out, Lincoln University has bowed to the politically correct and dropped the class requirement. Too bad.

Now, if a student had a drinking problem, do you think requiring him or her to take a course on alcoholism would be wrong? In a way, yes. Or at least I don't think it's the place to start. Counseling might be more effective. I see it as the difference between talking with and being talked at.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
...if it is a public institution, I think it entirely out of place.
It is (...or was) a requirement in the CSU system. No one complained. Then again, the requirement wasn't related to Body Mass Index, it was related to taking the class - two of them actually.

It's not going to kill anyone to take two PE classes in college. It might, however, literally kill someone to get their BMI under 30. That takes more effort depending on the severity of the obesity. A BMI over 30 classifies the person as morbidly obese.

I say if the requirement is only to take the PE classes and no conection to BMI, then fine, I think the BMI component is a bit none of your business.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Good points, Rick. "Physical Education" should be that.

From the last link:
At the end of the day, the faculty agreed that the BMI assessment test will no longer be used to place students into the "Fitness for Life" course (HPR 103). The faculty also agreed that instructors will cover a multiplicity of health risk topics in HPR 101, the "Dimensions of Wellness" a course required of all Lincoln University students.

Faculty will recommend the "Fitness for Life" course to those students with potential health risks, but enrollment will not be mandatory.

SkyHawk
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard