Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Seriously, Jeffro? I liked the remake better
Okay, to set the record straight (I do like my little puns). I KNOW Bananarama is composed of females (I also know that they started with Fun Boy Three and were featured most prominently in [another cover] "It Ain't What You Do, It's The Way That You Do It" from the first FB3 album. The girls were no strangers to remakes, they also did "Jimmy Mack" and "He Was Really Saying Something".

I had never seen a picture of Shocking Blue, just had the 45 of "Venus", and always thought it was a man singing. The chorus was him relaying what the 'goddess' had said to him (it made perfect sense to me). In fact, when the Bananarama version came out, I thought 'I guess it makes more sense to have women singing that'. I'm still partial to the original. The remake was fun to dance to, but it was really overplayed.

As for "Let's Live For Today", I already had The Grass Roots and while I liked the Lords of the New Church version and bought the album (not for that song but for "Open Your Eyes") I still prefer the original. Maybe it has to do with being partial to the first version I fell in love with, and a feeling of "why bother, it was right the first time".

It probably says something that Shocking Blue and The Grass Roots are currently on my iPod and Bananarama and Lords of the New Church are on my shelf.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau