WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
"Zinging" those who you have determined to be "charlatans" simply puts you among their numbers. Unless the "zinging" is good natured and not intended as insult or perceived as insult then it becomes a "cheap shot".
As you are aware, flaming, cheap shots, personal disputes and feuds are against guidelines and not conducive to civil discourse.

I, myself, often wonder why, oh why, these conservative people don't simply listen to reason and throw aside their ridiculous right wing or libetarian or whatever beliefs they may hold in light of my superior arguments. But their failure to do so is no excuse for me to begin "zinging" them rather than continue trying to convince them they are wrong. Maybe the next well reasoned, well structured and logical argument will be the one that turns the Ma_Republican into a Ma_Democrat.

or not... :/

Ah, yes, the cherry picking approach to dialogue. Have deployed it myself. Don't find it useful or rewarding and thus the dissatisfaction. It advances nothing.

The problem we have is that the level of insult to which one must descend before the post is purged as such has reached the same level as the level of vitriol to which one must sink in political attack ads before it is deemed out of bounds: almost a non-existent foul.

Splitting the hair between "ignorant" as an attribute of a post and "ignorant" as an attribute of the poster is perhaps a fun game of mental gymnastics but it does nothing to support an environment of reasoned discourse.

And lest you become too concerned, there is a large gap between "thinking about" zingers and posting them. Relax. I won't be making your job harder.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard
Originally Posted by Ardy
.... a dissatisfied liberal takes his ball and goes away sulking muttering about the unfairness,

This has nothing to do with "sulking" over a perceived "unfairness." This is about simply refusing to feed a troll or trolls. It's about refusing to engage in a discussion with someone who is intellectually dishonest.

One is not forced to respond to any posting that you feel is of that character.... If you do not like the current thread topics, start your own

Last edited by Ardy; 01/10/11 12:51 AM.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #172167 01/10/11 01:24 AM
C
old hand
old hand
C
Then don't characterize a poster's decision not to participate in a discussion as "sulking".

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard
Then don't characterize a poster's decision not to participate in a discussion as "sulking".

As I understood it, the question was not whether or not to participate in trolls, but whether or not to participate at all....

Last edited by Ardy; 01/10/11 02:01 AM.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #172181 01/10/11 02:10 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Actually, Ardy, there was no question. Nor any sulking.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
old hand
old hand
I find myself thinking more about how best to zing these charlatans without running afoul of the moderators than about how to discuss with them rationally.

"Zinging" those who you have determined to be "charlatans" simply puts you among their numbers. Unless the "zinging" is good natured and not intended as insult or perceived as insult then it becomes a "cheap shot".
As you are aware, flaming, cheap shots, personal disputes and feuds are against guidelines and not conducive to civil discourse.

I, myself, often wonder why, oh why, these conservative people don't simply listen to reason and throw aside their ridiculous right wing or libetarian or whatever beliefs they may hold in light of my superior arguments. But their failure to do so is no excuse for me to begin "zinging" them rather than continue trying to convince them they are wrong. Maybe the next well reasoned, well structured and logical argument will be the one that turns the Ma_Republican into a Ma_Democrat.

I have stayed away from this thread because I thing seeing veiled references to my persona was kind of funny. But I must remind people that my politics is all about what is best for ME. I am a Republican because they give me the most take home pay, if it were the Dems who did that then I would be MA_Dem.

As for Logan leaving, I wish he were not, but he will probably be back. CHB is kind of like a virus. The symptoms start by being curious what people are saying on CHB, maybe there was a rally in Washington, or a international incident in Africa, "Just a quick look" will be your thought. Then after the quick looks become in depth looks the uncontrollable urge to comment will come over him. Before you know it, Loganbert is back, with a new ball.

A proud member of the Vast Right-wing Conspiracy, Massachusetts Chapter

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Stick around Logan, please.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Ma_Republican
I find myself thinking more about how best to zing these charlatans without running afoul of the moderators than about how to discuss with them rationally.

I have stayed away from this thread because I thing seeing veiled references to my persona was kind of funny. But I must remind people that my politics is all about what is best for ME. I am a Republican because they give me the most take home pay, if it were the Dems who did that then I would be MA_Dem.

As for Logan leaving, I wish he were not, but he will probably be back. CHB is kind of like a virus. The symptoms start by being curious what people are saying on CHB, maybe there was a rally in Washington, or a international incident in Africa, "Just a quick look" will be your thought. Then after the quick looks become in depth looks the uncontrollable urge to comment will come over him. Before you know it, Loganbert is back, with a new ball.

Guess you missed the explicit statement that my post was not about any one poster. But feel free to use that guilt of yours for useful purposes.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by loganrbt

Guess you missed the explicit statement that my post was not about any one poster. But feel free to use that guilt of yours for useful purposes.

Guilt? For the record, I agree with Ardy. If you want to leave, take you ball with you, stomp your feet on the way out the door and don't forget to slam it, just to attract as much attention as your drama possibly can.

I don't think I have ever run away from a fight or a debate. But understanding that the left leaners can't take the heat makes me understand why you are leaving. And, for the record, there are two contributors here that lean right, what is two too many for your comfort?

Stay or go, it doesn't matter.

A proud member of the Vast Right-wing Conspiracy, Massachusetts Chapter

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Stay or go, it doesn't matter.
Wow. You Boston (...and Boston metro) types are tough.

...all a bunch of Marky Marks - not a bad thing - especially if you look like him. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard