WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
The Christian Science Monitor is as close as you'll find, but you can't get it daily. I like the Guardian UK and Al Jazeera seems fairly unbiased.
I agree on all three choices. I read al Jazeera and BBC everyday, and I find the Christian Science Monitor to be very well written on analysis.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
What to do to change political discourse?

We could start by no longer affording America-hating Liberals a forum to spew their nonsense. To even suggest that America is falling behind because of a lack of government spending would be simply laughable if it wasn't so destructive.

If you read only one John Kerry speech today ...

Reliable, modern infrastructure isn't a luxury. It’s the lifeblood of our economy-- the key to connecting our markets, moving products and people, generating and sustaining millions of jobs for American workers, to not wasting hundreds of thousands of hours and millions of gallons of gas on clogged highways.

In the face of global competition, our growth and exports are directly tied to the modernity of our infrastructure. As we invest too little and our competitors invest more and more, the harder and harder it will be to catch up – and the more and more attractive those countries will be for future investments.

Everyone knows that whatever infrastructure is required would be built by private industry better, faster and cheaper if the government would just get out of the way and stop stealing Americans' hard-earned money.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
Irked;
I am a little confused. Are you saying that our infrastructure is dandy and private industry will take care of whatever we need? http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

Perhaps you are suggesting that private industry is going to 'donate' the over 2 trillion dollars to fix it?

So, you are against gov paying to fix it?

I also don't understand your thought that private industry can fix it better than gov. To my knowledge gov doesn't actually do anything but fund the fix which, then, is accomplished by private industry. I am, obviously, missing something here?

I am, obviously, not understanding exactly what you are saying. Perhaps you could clarify a little?

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JGW said that he doesn't believe it's the hate speech so much as the fear peddling. I think he's partly right.
Fear, uncertainty and doubt, also known colloquially as "FUD" are the seeds of hate. We hate what we fear.
I fear that you will take my job away, I am uncertain about my future security, and I doubt that you have good intentions for me and my loved ones. Where else can one go after that?

See, these media whores figured out long ago that direct hate speech is considered the province of lunatics, and that it is much more effective to sow FEAR instead, and let the hate sprout organically and grow free range amongst the faithful. Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is NOT a straight line.

As for what to do about the civility of discourse, I don't think it is so much the lack of civility alone that troubles us, it is the lack of civility together with the sowing of FEAR and FUD which is proving to be the deadly chemical combination which has found a direct route to the collective limbic system of our right wingers and, to a very real extent, to our extremist libs as well.

The problem has more to do with the WAY our discourse is controlled, and that's intentional. The Hegelian Dialectic and the Delphi Technique are not only effective psyops, they're ratings monsters. Imagine a 24/7 train wreck with a heaping helping of NASCAR's Best Crashes...you just can't turn away, can ya Uncle Cooter?

If we could return to the days when it was more important to foster an UNDERSTANDING of the issues instead of figuring out how many were FOR or AGAINST them, we'd have a healthy start.
And unfortunately, such an approach is totally unacceptable to the plutocrats who represent the power base.
Sure enough, after a modicum of soul searching and impartial research, the spotlight would inevitably wind up pointed at them. And they just can't have that, can't allow it, which is why instead we have a nonstop parade of "paper or plastic, Coke or Pepsi, you're either with us or against us".

Keeps us fighting, keeps us divided, keeps them out danger, an all around winner of a formula.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jgw
Irked;
I am a little confused. Are you saying that our infrastructure is dandy and private industry will take care of whatever we need? http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

Perhaps you are suggesting that private industry is going to 'donate' the over 2 trillion dollars to fix it?

So, you are against gov paying to fix it?

I also don't understand your thought that private industry can fix it better than gov. To my knowledge gov doesn't actually do anything but fund the fix which, then, is accomplished by private industry. I am, obviously, missing something here?

I am, obviously, not understanding exactly what you are saying. Perhaps you could clarify a little?

Of course.

There's no question about the private sector "donating" anything. However, private industry is more than willing to provide the goods and services people are willing to pay for.

If government would go away, if there was an end to regulations on industry and an end to the blatant Statist theft of property and money from Americans, the Free Market would provide all the infrastructure people deem is worthy of their hard-earned money.

Under the only True and Sensible way of doing things, people would get exactly the infrastructure they want and not some Liberal Elite toy like "High Speed" rail or Scientific flim-flam like "Green Energy" or a job and patient-killing Communist take over of health care. Those who believe that a real, American economy could be based on anything other than private automobiles and the burning of fossil fuels are either delusional or shills for the Eco-Sci-Fascist.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
By the way, in answer to the burning question,
"What Can We Do To Change Political Discourse?"

Apparently not much if you're a conservative:
Civility Project Disbanded, Only Three Lawmakers Signed On

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course one reason so few signed on (and NO Democrats) might be because of his pedigree.

American Center for Law and Justice, Concerned Women for America, Focus on the Family, Franklin Graham Festivals, Jerry Falwell Ministries­, Liberty University­, Prison Fellowship Ministries­, Promise Keepers, Regent University­, and Salem Communicat­ions Corporatio­n.

deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
old hand
Here's the pledge DeMoss asked major politicians to sign:

I will be civil in my public discourse and behavior.

I will be respectful of others whether or not I agree with them.

I will stand against incivility when I see it.

I wonder which part of it was anathema to 582 out of 585 Senators, Representatives, and Governors.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Of course one reason so few signed on (and NO Democrats) might be because of his pedigree.
Maybe if it was 2000 pages long, they would have signed it without even reading it? Hmm

Good doesn't always win!
I think we need to weed out the paid talking heads on TV and radio who influence their wacko watchers and listeners to do the dirty deeds they want done but do not want to do themselves.

Glenn Beck has been linked to three unsuccessful assassination attempts, according to David Brock, when he was a guest on Hardball. http://mediamatters.org/research/201101130002

And I'm sure we all remember Bill O'Reilly calling Dr. Tiller the baby killer. Then, lo and behold, Scott Roeder shoots the doctor.

There must be some way to stop them.

Just a Missouri school teacher ... stubborn as a mule and addicted to logic.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard