Originally Posted by rporter314
mass shootings occur in locations that are soft targets
my response ... what you are suggesting is unstable people have enough presence of mind to not only concoct a plan but include only "soft" targets. I will counter with the suggestion this may be pure coincidence as I suspect an unstable person does not have the mental discipline to devise a well constructed plan.

That's a stretch, mate.

Police stations are full of people, military bases are as well, so are gun ranges. Yes, probably there has been a shootout at a police station, but they are rare. Mass murder? Not that I know of. There was the unfortunate incident at Ft. Hood, but again, it was a rare occurrence. I do recall where there was a woman who went bat shìt at a gun range and shot a couple of people. Gun ranges are usually full of people.

As to having the presence of mind to select a soft target, yes, I think that happens to be the case most of the time. Also, it seems that the courts often find the killers competent to stand trial.

[quote]I propose a study:
1. Arm all mentally unstable folks with an appropriate attack package i.e. at your discretion of course but please include at least one semi auto rifle with extra large magazines and at least one large capacity semi automatic pistol, and of course plenty of ammo
2. Allow participants to devise heir horrendous plans and not interfere in any manner prior to the execution of said plan and then only in the ordinary manner
3. Run this study for 100 years
4. analyze data

I predict the results will show that the perpetrators will only select sites with large number of targets, irrelevant to site, gun status

If you get the grant for the study, I wish you the best of luck. Might I suggest you conduct your research in Syria where it is against the law for civilians to posses military rifles of any kind, even single shot. Handgun possession is also strictly prohibited to licensed individuals only. The controlled environment in Syria should make your research fairly manageable.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.