WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

I seriously doubt that Mr. Obama will 'cave-in' on his namesake SCOTUS-approved law.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Yes, the legislature is behaving like a bunch of utter morons if they think that driving the US government into default is a good idea. But it's their right to behave like a bunch of utter morons."

--Felix Salmon, REUTERS

"Why we won't mint a platinum coin". Reuters. Retrieved Jan 9, 2013

I suggest that Mr. Salmon is minimizing the effect that a legislature behaving like morons is having on the global economy.

Salmon is quoted as saying:

"No one knows exactly how high CDS rates would go if we pierced the debt ceiling, but it’s a reasonable assumption that they would go higher than they are now."

I wonder if he is aware of the fact that a large majority of Tea Party faithful in Congress have invested heavily in credit default swaps that pay off in the event of a national debt default.

They stand to make a fortune on the blood and backs of a devastated nation.

They're not behaving as morons, they're behaving like this bunch right here:
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

THEN Mr. Salmon goes on to say:

The second problem is that what we’re talking about here has a kind of Cold War mutually-assured-destruction mentality: “don’t you dare try to force a debt default, because if you do, I’ll come out and render you entirely irrelevant with my platinum coin”.

---Uhhhhh, I dunno, mutually assured destruction kept us safe for well over forty years.
I think Mr. Salmon might not have been alive back then. He looks wet behind the ears. I wouldn't be surprised if he's too young to remember Members Only jackets. Maybe his Dad had one?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
President Obama can end this shut-down by Executive Order
a double edged sword

not being a Constitutional scholar or for that matter an expert of anything and after reading a couple of pertinent articles, I have come to the conclusion the President can raise the debt ceiling by EO using Sec 4 of the 14th Amendment.

An EO pertains to the federal government and as such is a qualified procedure. Now "Section 4 confirmed the legitimacy of all U.S. public debt appropriated by the Congress." (wiki). Unfortunately there is a catch.

This only works for monies already appropriated. Thus when the appropriation process ends and all funds have been disbursed, the president has no recourse.

On the Constitutional side the issue is moot and it would be anyone's best guess what the legalities are.

When Pres Clinton made reference to it perhaps he did not think it through.

Now ... where are the legal scholars and their educated opinions?

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
"I wonder if he is aware of the fact that a large majority of Tea Party faithful in Congress have invested heavily in credit default swaps that pay off in the event of a national debt default. "

Source please.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ted Remington
This Quote Says Everything About The GOP's Shutdown Stand
"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."

This is better than The Onion. You just cannot make this sort of bullshit up!

A coffin nail for the GOP? Nope. This is the epitaph.

• Contrary to what you might want to believe, both parties have engineered government shutdowns over the years. Link
  • Not everyone on the right is thrilled with what Marlin Stutzman said. Link

veteran
veteran
Not everyone on the right is thrilled with what Marlin Stutzman said
I dont think it is a matter of the thrill but rather confronting the reality of their situation

someone sold them on the idea they would win this and defund ACA. The reality is the Dems will never in this or any other lifetime give up ACA. The rational players realize this and have to wonder if the apple has been poisoned by Cruz.

It goes without saying that no one can go on the air and say what people are thinking.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"I wonder if he is aware of the fact that a large majority of Tea Party faithful in Congress have invested heavily in credit default swaps that pay off in the event of a national debt default. "

Source please.

Welp, to start with, there's Eric Cantor.

Cantor still has up to $15,000 in the same fund. Contacted by Salon this week, Cantor’s office gave no indication that the Virginia Republican, who has played a leading role in the debt ceiling negotiations, has divested himself of these holdings since his last filing. Unless an agreement can be reached, the U.S. could begin defaulting on its debt payments on Aug. 2. If that happens and Cantor is still invested in the fund, the value of his holdings would skyrocket.

Eric Cantor's Glaring Conflict of Interest

Would you like more?
I mean, he's one of the leaders but I'm sure with a little more research I can dig up a nice little laundry list.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Golem
[*]Contrary to what you might want to believe, both parties have engineered government shutdowns over the years. Link

You are correct, sir...9 to 12 with the GOP in the lead.
Today however, we are staring at an actual default on the national debt, first time in the nation's history, I believe.

Government shutdowns hurt a lot of people but a default on the debt....we're talking "no milk in the store" style economic collapse....GLOBAL STYLE.

Make no mistake Golem, I recognize that this silly brinksmanship has occurred in the past on a smaller level, what we're talking about here is pure Jim Jones People's Temple stuff.

deepfreezefilms.com
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
The same ones that allow him to inter citizens indefinitely and to murder them without due process of law. Raising the debt ceiling shouldn't be a problem, Ted.
Oh, I thought you meant something specific. Silly me.

As to interring citizens indefinitely, if they are dead you sort of have to inter them, don't you?
btw- Ted, you still arguing that the NDAA doesn't apply to American citizens?

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Ozymanithrax
An Executive Order does not allow the President raise funds. He has already ruled out the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. So we will be in this impasse until the Federal Government collapses or one side or the other backs down.
An executive order wouldn't be to raise funds. It would be to set aside the debt ceiling. There's a distinction. My understanding is that the President just has to declare a national emergency and can raise the debt ceiling by executive order based on that threat. The executive branch that has the power to "bury" citizens away indefinitely and to be judge, jury, and executioner and murder Americans without due process can certainly set aside a ceiling on debt that's a threat.

Last edited by Joe Keegan; 10/04/13 06:01 AM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard