WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by rporter314
reality check ....
They are in a far better position to accomplish their regressive agenda than at any time in the past. We will have a cult of personality like none seen in this country since Pres Washington (he coulda been king).

To ratify or repeal an amendment, they need 38 states.
The Republican Party now controls 37 state houses.
By 2018 the Kochs will have screwed Nebraska and will take control, making it 38.

That is when you will see the following amendments repealed:
1st Amendment modified so that it protects evangelical Christians only, followed by the 22nd, 14th, 16th and 17th amendments.

14th amendment to remove birthright citizenship.
16th amendment to return slection of Senators to the State Legislatures (i.e.- Corporately owned State Legislatures)
17th Amendment to eliminate Federal Income Taxes.

And the crown jewel, repeal of the 22nd thus making it possible to keep a Republican president FOR LIFE if they want, which will not be difficult now that they have Citizens United, gerrymandering, no more Voting Rights Act, corporate owned and controlled electronic voting machines and a cooperative electoral college.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
old hand
Your main assumption being that there is no opposition? I doubt that very much.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

journeyman
journeyman
Long Live The Opposition! May they long be a pox on the opposition.

LOL tinfoilhat ROTFMOL

Last edited by Ujest Shurly; 12/28/16 04:47 PM.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
For you, the "fact" Mr Trump is an abject deplorable human on too many facets to count, still does not fill the indictment sheet with any credible crime worthy of impeachment.

You seem to be unaware of the Stock Act, which applies even to the President and VP, and which makes it a crime to make any financial move that is informed by your office. Trump is violating that law right now and will continue to do so until he sells all of his businesses and puts the money in a real blind trust. (Not something run by his children.)

I'm not saying they will ever do it, but legally he will be impeachable on January 20th,2017 and probably every day of his administration after that. They only thing that prevents it is the Republican majority in The House. So Trump will be very much a prisoner of the House Republicans. If they have some sort of conflict over some screw-up of his, a small faction could impeach him.

It will be fun to watch, as his support drops steadily over broken promises. Of course, everything the Republicans do will be fun to watch since they always manage to shoot themselves in both feet as soon as they have power.

veteran
veteran
ok you forced me to read the cliff note version of the act and its gutting.

Basically you have to prove someone in the organization was privy to financial information and then those folks acted on that information to profit from it. With the help of a good attorney I can prove "is" is not "is" and 1=0. I suspect it would take an enormous bevy of investigators and attorneys to even attempt a proof. Making good choices for investment is not a crime (even though it could be) and their argument would be predicated on a pattern of lifetime good choices.

They may both believe they have each other over a barrel, but there is little to no evidence to suggest Republicans would abandon Mr Trump. They have an ultra conservative cabinet which will immediately try to turn back the clock and Mr Trump is the linchpin in that effort.

So what kinda of things would his own party consider for impeachment? His supporters may not care if he kills someone in Times Square but Congress may. However, have you ever heard of a party which wanted to impeach a president for policies they endorse but which tanked the economy, started wars, etc????

Conservatives routinely promoted the idea Pres Obama should be impeached for a wide range of nonsensical beliefs but which were all grounded in law. The reality was they were reaching for straws.

I recommend you not hold onto this tenuous thread of hope Mr Trump will be or could be impeached on some flimsy charge. I suggest proactive responses to any regressive initiatives Republicans will propose, which will in turn be far more constructive.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

journeyman
journeyman
Remember, Vote 2018

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
If President Trump loses access to twitter, how will his Twitter-uptions manifest themselves? I'm seriously concerned.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ah, but you are forgetting that he would be impeached in The House and tried in The Senate, not in a court of law. He might have the best lawyers in the world but if Congress wanted to impeach and convict him, they don't have to prove anything! They simply need a crime he is technically guilty of and then the Senate acts as jury. They would not have to follow the rules of evidence, constitutionality, or anything. They would simply have to have the votes. Strictly a political act and poof, Pence is President.

For example, they could vote to end ACA and he could veto it, since he did make various campaign promises and would lose a HUGE amount of popular support if he signed that. Then a small percentage of Congress could impeach and convict him EITHER WAY!. The problem is that Republicans have made a whole lot of stupid proposals over the past 8 years, and anything they do can backfire.

Or they could touch Social Security or Medicare, the notorious Third Rail of American politics. Same result, and they seem pretty intent on self-immolation.

old hand
old hand
Herodotus - Histories [circa 440 BC] - ascribed the fall of empires to:

[Linked Image from s24.postimg.org]

Does it not sound familiar?

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

veteran
veteran
Yes it is correct only a few of the right folks have to agree and they could impeach and convict but that is not the issue.

All of your comments are based on a belief at least some Republicans/conservatives share your indignation AND are willing to impeach etc. And that is the problem.

Do campaign promises count? not likely. What if the economy tanks? again, not likely. Remember, most Republicans were only cordial at best in their support for Mr Trump and since his election they are on board, even if they disagree with some of his statements etc.

The 3rd rail only applies to those who believe in it. Republicans/conservatives believe and for a long time all entitlements should be privatized. Republicans/conservatives have a long history of propaganda against all government programs. Their constituency does not see it as a problem.

The bottom line, I see that a lot of Republican/conservatives could be upset with Mr Trump for any number of reasons (and they all seem to defend him anyway) but that does not translate into a vote to convict him in an impeachment proceeding.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard