WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 35 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 34 35
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Schlack
They broke into the capitol, took a few selfies and didnt know what else to do.

Worst revolution ever

Larpers
They're so incompetent their four pipe-bombs didn't go off. Wasn't that Cesar Sayok's problem too? Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
One nice side effect is..
...a lot of citizens and business leaders have turned on Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley as being "toxic."

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't blame them. I don't think history will be very kind to Trump. It didn't take me long into his presidency to figure out Trump was in this for Trump and not the country. I think the D.C. riot was a fitting end to his presidency. That will probably be the defining moment of how history reflects on his presidency.

Kind of like Nixon, everyone remembers Watergate and little else about his presidency. Nixon opened up Red China, created detente, established the EPA, OSHA, the Endangered Species Act, was all for affirmative actions, funds for education and more. Take away Watergate, you probably had a pretty good president for his time. Too bad he was so paranoid.

Trump has done none of those and accomplished little. From a paranoid to an egotist, a very thin skinned egotist at that among other things.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Its unlikely to happen. On the other hand it gives them that just want it to go away (like Nixon) reasons for Trump to just quit and go away rather than going through more humiliation. Given his mental problems I wouldn't be surprised to see him suicide.

He is learning the hard way that everybody does NOT love him!

The good thing about all of this is that it looks as if we are going to lose our National Jackass!

veteran
veteran
It didn't take me long into his presidency to figure out Trump was in this for Trump and not the country.
Too bad all the Trump supporters I know, still think he is savior of America, greatest blah blah blah ... and nothing will change their mind

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think most of the Trump supporters are going lose interest when they see him being humiliated every day for the rest of his life. They don't like losers, just like Trump didn't like soldiers who get captured or killed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It takes quite a lot to get a party faithful or an avid candidate supporter to turn against them. Back in 1974 you still had 50% of Republicans and 25% of independents who thought Nixon had been railroaded out of office by the Democrats for partisan means. That Nixon was innocent. This was back in the day when both parties respected each other and for the most part worked together calmly. Before the modern era of polarization, divisiveness and mega, ultra high partisanship.

Not much has changed in folks view of Trump. All Adults, on 3 Jan 43.9% approved of the job Trump was doing, today, 9 Jan that has dropped to just 43.3%. Same dates, Republicans 87% and 85%. Democrats 6% and today, 4%. Independents, 39% and today 34%. Now it takes a week or so after an event, happening for it to become baked into the poll numbers.

Job approval isn't holding Trump accountable for the D.C. riot, but it does show how folks view him as a whole. Those numbers would have more meaning a week from now.

Now here's something else since the House is starting impeachment process.
Some 57% of Americans think Trump should leave office as soon as possible instead of serving out the remaining 12 days of his term, according to an Ipsos/Reuters poll conducted Thursday and Friday (14% want impeachment, 30% want his Cabinet to remove him by invoking the 25th Amendment and 13% want him to resign).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewal...-following-capitol-riot/?sh=2e78d6ac3fa7

Although 57% want Trump removed immediately, the means vary. Those who want impeachment for example may not want Trump removed by resigning or another means. One never knows of these things.

Sometimes one must read deep into the polls. An example of this is gun control. To the question of issue importance, 52% list gun control as very important, 25% somewhat important for a total 77%. Just looking at that, one would think or assume 77% of all Americans want more gun control. But wait, put the question another way, do you think we should have more gun control legislation. 43% say yes, 44% say no, they want less or for it to remain the same.

On impeachment, I think the House should go ahead and impeach Trump even though the senate probably won't have time for a trial. That would make Trump the only president to have been impeached twice. Something for historians to think about in the future.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
Don't be fooled by "normalcy".

Trump supporters believe he is their savior ... savior of America, because it is their America ... he is their voice in the swamp of everything not them. Attacking him ... pursuing him criminally .... politically ... only enhances his standing as their savior. Think Jesus Christ vis a vis Donald J Trump.

He will become a martyr.

ignorance is the enemy

veteran
veteran
Something for historians to think about in the future.
Yes

Mr Trump is the aberration. He and his administration will go down as one of the most significant in history. In addition, party complicity will bring into sharp relief just how close we were to one political party overthrowing a duly, legally elected president.

I don't think it has sunk in yet just how close we were to having an election overthrown. Imagine if Republicans controlled all three branches of government. What would have stopped them from throwing out every slate of electors with which they did not like? An objection in writing signed by both a Senator and a Rep. 2 hours of debate for which both houses would concur. voila ... Trump 4 more years.

You may say but but but ... the law. Yep ... and I say did you see all the nuts pounding on the doors, breaking windows, yelling for blood at the Capitol?

While we saw many courts throw out these fake suits on "fraud", would you bet your life on the SC doing the right thing should a suit be brought? Remember the words VP Pence said for counting electors ... check authenticity and format. When it goes to SC to which law would you cite? Looks like a Constitutional process to me.

We dodged a democracy destroying detonation.

ignorance is the enemy

enthusiast
enthusiast
Another interesting article on impeachment.

How to Impeach a President in 12 Days: Here's What It Would Take.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/impeach-president-12-days-heres-150851040.html

From reading it, I think it should go ahead and impeach Trump. By doing so the senate via a majority vote could disbar or forbid Trump from holding any federal office in the future.

Page 28 of 35 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard