WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
J
jgw Online Content OP
old hand
OP Online Content
old hand
J
The National Commission to Investigate the January 6 attack is filling up the news. The problem seems to be to create this commission by assigned congress folk to do the job. As far as I am concerned this is simply not going to happen, pure and simple. It has been completely politicized by, I think, both parties.

I also think that this really needs to be done and Biden can do it. Create this thing with the best people he can find that will stick to the subject and get the answers. We have, amongst others for instance, universities filled with experts in the entire thing, lock, stock and barrel. Such commissions have been created before and, now, its time to get this done so we can all learn just what, exactly happened! (maybe even find out what to actually do about it and responsibilities).

Makes sense to me. Right now I am just really tired of the politics surrounding this one. The Republicans have their marching orders from their Lord and Master and the Dems have made all the points available so, again, create the commission as politically neutral as possible, get it done, and move on!

Last edited by jgw; 05/22/21 05:10 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
These are the same folks who investigated Benghazi and Hillary's emails to death.

If the commission is allowed to move forward the results will be devastating for Republicans in the midterms. That's the crux of the biscuit.

And that's among the many factors it I think which is going to make the midterms fairly kind to the Democrat's.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Online Content OP
old hand
OP Online Content
old hand
J
First they need a commission and that is simply not going to happen if the Republicans have anything to say about it. So, I stick to creating a civilian commission of experts to delve into 1/6.

Enough with the politics - on both sides. Just get on with it!

Oh, I just heard that Mike Pense has a brother. That brother was involved with 1/6 as a participant. I can only wonder if he was one of those wanting to hang him!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Is creation of the commission dependent on Congress doing it? Is that subject to a filibuster? I'm not sure it is, since it doesn't require a bill to become a law. Could be that a simple majority is enough. But it could be done as a House investigation. The Senate has no say over House investigations. That could be totally controlled by Democrats, so maybe a threat to do a House investigation will get Republicans on a non-partisan non-congressperson commission.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
J
jgw Online Content OP
old hand
OP Online Content
old hand
J
I think that the president can establish a commission. I cannot understand why Biden hasn't already done it! It simply needs being done and presidential commissions have a pretty good record (Hoover commission was one by Harry Truman). There is now suggestions being floated about appointing 'retired' politicians to be appointed. I think the entire thing, so far, is just another political grab by one side or the other. I also think its silly.

Biden should be doing this right now. He has, in his appointments so far (he still is waiting for the congress to complete his appointments) done pretty good. Its obvious that he listens to his people and they seem competent so get on with appointing a1/6 commission and skip the congressional self embarrassment!

As a matter of fact I am going to drop a note to Biden on this one right now!

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I think all it would take is an executive order. Previous presidents have done this, the latest I think was by Trump to investigate law enforcement. The independent counsel law expired in 1999.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Strategically Democrats need a bi-partisan commission. I think they're stalling it hoping to shame some Republicans into voting for it.

Aint gonna work. Republicans won't flinch.

Do we really need the commission? I think everybody knows the truth already.

J
jgw Online Content OP
old hand
OP Online Content
old hand
J
This is, exactly, what Obama did, ie. wasted a LOT of time trying to get bi-partisan legislation. He failed with most legislation and so will Biden. Biden's problem is his history of bi-partisan work and he is under the impression that the Republican loons will do that. They haven't, and they won't, and Mitch has made that very, very clear from the getgo.

The Dems must get off their collective butts and start doing stuff. Given the huge amounts Biden plans to spend he really needs to have the congress so he can tax the rich. If he can't do that he just doesn't and that sinks his ship. To do that he has to win big-time next year and his problems will lessen support and then the Dems won't come out in 202 which means he will lose all the way down the line.

I, for one, would love to see him get a lot of his stuff done but, I fear, its just not gonna happen. He can get the spending through but, without the ability to tax the rich he won't be able to pay for anything, and he will surely fail and that is not gonna happen without winning in 2022.

He can, however, get a 1/6 commission up and running and, I suspect, whatever they can come up with before the 2022 elections should seriously help. That being said I don't even see that happening. The Dems need to have common messages of interest - and they don't even have that! As far as I can tell them in charge, of the Dems, have absolutely no plan to win a damned thing!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Any commission, be it bi-partisan or solely Democrat appointed, if anyone speaks ill of Mr. Trump then it is nothing but fake news and a witch hunt.

Will the commission change any hearts or minds or is it just political theater. Personally I'd rather never hear Trump's name again and I believe that most of the voting age public feels much the same way. To put him on trial again with the same jury and judge will just be more free press, more headlines and more red meat for the base.

I'd rather they go down on the books as blocking any investigation into the crimes committed that day, essentially obstruction. The FBI is continuing to gather information and it appears the attack might have been planned in advance...which advances the charges somewhat. We can do that commission any time. I'm not against it by any means but Republicans seem dead set on blocking it. They might not be good at governing but they are experts in preventing anyone else from governing either.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Yeah, changing hearts and minds, no, regardless of who is on the commission or whether it bipartisan or just Democrats. I've always been in favor of letting the DOJ do its thing by rounding up, charging, prosecuting those involved. Also of letting the New York and Atlanta AG's work through grand juries they both have impaneled.

You know Democrats and Republicans have their minds made up already. Regardless of the type or what the commission finds, they aren't about to change their minds. Who would the commission be playing to then? Independents, not really, for quite a lot of them, 6 Jan is ancient history. Too many new problems for them to worry about. I say this as 31% of independents strongly want the commission, 25% strongly oppose, the rest basically shrug. Political theater sums it up nicely.

It's like I said during the impeachments of Trump, it won't be in the political arena Trump is held accountable, it will be in the legal arena. Give it time, the legal process is slow, but the day of reckoning will eventually come.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard