WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#335481 09/02/21 02:20 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by olyve
Sometimes my head just spins....

I always watch World News with David Muir in the evening.
Tonight back to back stories.....new laws essentially banning all abortions in Texas.... next the number of lawsuits over mask mandates.
Cripe. Why can't I drink and drive?

Not all of these thoughts are serious. Flip a coin if you can’t tell for sure.

A suggested change:
A new addendum to the law has been proposed: Thoughts of a pregnancy as “unwanted,” when occurring within 1/25 of a mile of a high school, middle school, college, preschool, or church, require the crossing guard to file a lawsuit within 24 hours.

Granted I haven’t listened to the news all that closely (it feels las though I’ve listened to abortion arguments all my life — oh, wait, I guess I have) butI haven’t heard much discussion of the other half of the pregnancy “starter kit.” (“Sperm donor” sounded too ol, “father” maybe a little too optimistic.)

What happens to the man, in the case of an unwanted pregnancy? Is he rewarded? Punished? Ignored? Sterilized?

Last edited by Mellowicious; 09/02/21 03:44 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Not all of these thoughts are serious. Flip a coin if you can’t tell for sure.
I think it's a perfectly good idea that fetal cell clusters of the unborn should have more rights than 'born' mothers. As long as they pledge to vote Republican.

Maybe them that does take the pledge should have the right to vote at six weeks, too?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I do make a joke, but only to show how extreme these people are.

The extremely jaded side of me would suggest that the law arose from a decision somewhere that Texas doesn’t have enough white people.. but golly, that couldn’t be the case.

I’m guessing that if the man in question provides funding, or a lift to New Mexico, the he could be sued?

Wait - that might work! He could be use by her! He supports either the abortion or the pregnancy to term, and she gets the monetary support she needs. It’s a thought.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
One more note. This may just be a fund-raising scam by the state of Texas. It starts in the school system.

According to the Austin American-Statesman,
School districts are not required to offer sex education, but those that do must follow Texas law, which requires that sex education teaching in public schools promote abstinence is the preferred behavior for unmarried students.

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...-adopts-new-sex-ed-curriculum/114997236/

Sorry- I’m having trouble editing/deleting final lines (IPad) please ignore the following.

Good God. If a neighbor could turn you in for suspected intent to sell a gun, there’d

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
If I understand it correctly, one can accuse a neighbor and, if you are wrong, and do harm, its ok as you have immunity. Its gonna get interesting in Texas!

jgw #335491 09/02/21 06:16 PM
veteran
veteran
It's going to get interesting all over the country. Talk about paving the way!

Just like all the lit fires on all the voting suppressions laws.

There's not even any pretense anymore.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think this means a huge increase in pregnancy test sales in Texas. As long as it's been less than 6 weeks, women are free to abort at will. The problem is most women don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks. So if they don't want to have a baby, they need to take a pregnancy test every month. They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion. All Biden needs to do is make sure every woman of child bearing age who is not trying to get pregnant, has those pregnancy tests and RU486 available by mail. I see 50 packs of test strips on Amazon for 32 cents a piece!

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
…they need to take a pregnancy test every month.

At $14 to $20 for 2-pack (CVS)

They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion.

Pondering, I thought your arithmetic was better than that.

Say you take the test at the beginning of the month - June 1,.That means it will detect a pregnancy prior to May 19 Any pregnancy beginning after that won’t be detected in this month’s test, and by the time the next one rolls around, you’re pretty much at 6 weeks.

Let’s play with that timeline a little more. What happens after that test?

1)two days, probably, to be stunned by the result
2j (contrary to those who believe this is a snap judgment) 4 to 5 days to make a decision, particularly of the partner is to be consulted, or if the pregnant woman is a minor or there are other complicating circumstances.
3) Two days to find an an out-of-state clinic that can see you in time (How long does it take you to get in to see a dentist?)
4) 4 days to find the money for transportation, childcare If you have children, and for the procedure itself
5) At least st one day to get time off work at short notice.

If you’re going out of state you have more time. But all off the times I’ve listed are very optimistic times. And remember items 3, 4, and 5 have to take place outside working or class hours, so they are underestimated here as well. If you can find a way to get to the clinic, and the funds for the procedure (with minimal or no healthcare) min four days, I know some non-profits who could use those skill. Of course, if already have the money, it’s a lot easier.

Finally, understand that the younger the woman, the longer it will probably take for all of this - from understanding she’s pregnant to figuring out what to do. It requires money an serious problem-solving skills.

The procedure itself is not a major operation, but when restrictions are added things change.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I think this means a huge increase in pregnancy test sales in Texas. As long as it's been less than 6 weeks, women are free to abort at will. The problem is most women don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks. So if they don't want to have a baby, they need to take a pregnancy test every month. They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion. All Biden needs to do is make sure every woman of child bearing age who is not trying to get pregnant, has those pregnancy tests and RU486 available by mail. I see 50 packs of test strips on Amazon for 32 cents a piece!

Also a huge amount of unwanted children born that go into foster care with no prospects on so many levels. Also, a huge increase in teen deaths or permant disability due to "home" rememdies".

Republicans don't want to take responsiblity for them once they're born....sustanance, health care, education, a future.
What about the 12 year old who is raped by her father and he's her only parent at the time?

I dare a Republican to try to talk to me about "pro life" issues.
I'm pro choice for the sake of pro life when it's viable. Not only for the mother but for the baby.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve #335503 09/03/21 01:44 AM
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by olyve
Also a huge amount of unwanted children born that go into foster care with no prospects on so many levels. Also, a huge increase in teen deaths or permanentt disability due to "home" remedies".
Nobody said freedumbs was free...
tonbricks

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard