WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 51 1 2 3 4 50 51
K
old hand
old hand
K
So Rick some questions if you don’t mind:

How did you end up in the Puget Sound area anyway? Last time I heard you were living in Portland and working at Costco.

Do you like it there? Do you miss California at all?

I know you fled California because of lack of water and your timing seems to have been impeccable.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
veteran
veteran
The autumn weather here in NE Ga is magnificent.
51 degrees this morning, up to about 75 as the high. Low humidity, nice breeze, no clouds, perfect sky, falling leaves. A few fireplaces started up. I put the heavier spread on the bed.
Perfect walking weather.

Actually we've had a good weather year. Nothing extreme. Moderate summer temps for the most part. Enough rain, not too much. None of the hurricanes around us gave us anything other than a good rain or two.

Of course for the second year our summer festivals were canceled even when they got rescheduled for the fall.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
veteran
veteran
Greger, I'm so glad you were able to include Rosco in your move to the city.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
We do 3-5 miles a day through historic downtown Clermont and the various connected parks. Everybody loves Roscoe, he's just such a big goofy happy boy that people can't help smiling when they see him. Big revival going on in Waterfront Park tonight, he just ambled through the crowd with a big grin on his face dutifully pausing for pets as required.

He turns 14 soon, I never thought a dog his size would live this long.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
K
old hand
old hand
K
My dearest dog ever Aggie passed in January 2020. She was 14 at the time, right before the pandemic became real. First dog I had had since I left Hawaii for Oregon in 1975. I had to put her down as she had become so arthritic that she could barely stand up and she was having accidents in the house which humiliated her to no end. But that was the way it was. Fortunately I discovered a vet that came to the house and did the deed on my couch. As painful as that was it was much better than having to take her to some cold sterile vets office.

I still miss that dog tremendously and thinking about getting another one. It would be a rescue of course (as was Aggie) if I were to do so.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Speaking of Florida, if Brian Laundrie is vaccinated, wouldn't Bill Gates' chip reader have found him by now? coffee

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I see the Arizona Fraudit announced their results today: Biden actually gained votes and Trump lost votes! (I wonder if this has anything to do with the Justice Department investigating them?) The net result is that Maricopa County has to spend millions on new ballot counting hardware.

Nevertheless, Republicans are repeating this idiocy, or attempting to repeat it, in several more states.

I think the only positive result will be that Arizona Democrats get a nice juicy campaign issue for the next election. Maybe Democrats in those other states, as well. Wasting taxpayer millions chasing psychotic conspiracies may not sit well with Independent voters.
Trump is so GRRRRRRRRRRR mad!!!!! LOL , ROTFMOL

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Nevertheless, Republicans are repeating this idiocy, or attempting to repeat it, in several more states.

I think the only positive result will be that Arizona Democrats get a nice juicy campaign issue for the next election. Maybe Democrats in those other states, as well. Wasting taxpayer millions chasing psychotic conspiracies may not sit well with Independent voters.
AZ Dems now need to go back and bring suits against all of AZ's new "election fraud laws" which have been enacted due to Trump's "Big Lie." Even Trump's own Cyber Ninjas found none. smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
So Rick some questions if you don’t mind:
Not at all. smile

How did you end up in the Puget Sound area anyway? Last time I heard you were living in Portland and working at Costco.
Back in 2010 when Foster Farms eliminated our MPQA department, my intention was to go work for Costco as food safety auditor. I submitted several resumes to the Bay Area Regional Costco Office. For sixteen months, I was out of work because of the 2008-09 recession lingering effects. Yes, Foster Farms laid me off in the middle of a recession. I finally got a job at a school district and they made me sign a year contract. A week later after accepting the school district job, Costco called me. I told them that I just accepted the school district job and signed a year contract. Costco said to call next year. Next year, turned into another year, and into another year. Not because of Costco, it was because of me.

Now it's 2014, and I'm sitting at my school district job desk. My morbidly obese Food Service Director with only a high school education, is riding my ass. The fat phuck is relentless. He is also bitter because Michelle Obama's 2010 Healthy Hunger-free Kids Act was requiring, on the federal level, that all food service directors needed to be college educated, and fat phuck isn't. He and his ilk try to get a waiver of being "grandfathered" in. He was going back to school and he had not been to school since high school. He was never a good student. This requirement is going to be burden on him.

The federal government could do that because every school cafeteria program is not part of the school district - it's part of the USDA program. One-hundred percent of the funding for school food programs come from the USDA, it's not local money. States manage the funds for the USDA and the funds cannot be commingled with school district funds AT ALL.

Anyway, this was July 2014.

Fat phuck went on a two weeks vacation, and even while he was on vacation he was tasking me. The Sunday before the Monday he was to come back to work, I was just felling lousy. On Monday I called in sick. I went to the doctor to only get a doctor's note to return back to work on Tuesday. During the visit, my blood pressure is really high...like 159/100. I knew exactly what the reason was.

While the doctor was out of the room, I impulsively made a decision. I asked him for a 30 days leave of absence. On July 1st, I just received all of my vacation and sick time for the year and it was all front-loaded into my account as it was for every school district employee on July 1st in Cali as July 1st is the start of Cali's fiscal year.

I used that time to get my house in the Bay Area on the market, sold it, with the intention of moving to either Portland or Houston and settled on Portland because Houston is too red statey and to go work for Costco, as I had heard the only way to Costco Corp was through a warehouse.

So, I sold the house in less than a week, the lady buying my house, bought the furniture as she liked the style and most Realtors thought I had staged the house. It was just how I lived. Hmm

Boxed-up the things that I wanted, sold everything else, or just left it in the house for the lady (Hallmark Christmas ornaments for example) shipped 32 boxes via UPS to an apartment that I rented sight unseen in Portland. Arrived with Sammy dawg on September 26, 2014. NWP's son was getting rid of a futon, I went and picked it up. It took me six weeks to get a Costco job at a local warehouse as I was only going to work for Costco. I told them that too. I went there four or five times and kept bugging them.

I was hired on Sunday, November 16, 2014.

While at Costco I kept on the lookout for Corp job postings in my field, none ever did come up. I accepted a "facilities" job at Corp and moved to Puget Sound. I could only afford to live in Tacoma, 41 miles southwest of Corp, because everything north was more than I can afford, and because I literally took a 50% cut in pay to go work for Costco at $11.50/hr in 2014. Today's starting pay is $16.00/hr.

I was making $23.00 an hour at the school district or $46K a year, while the high school educated fat phuck was making $108K - and am the one with the bachelors of science degree in Nutrition. I had the degree and he didn't. He didn't like me because of the degree, and I didn't like him because of his salary - for only a high school education. When I first went to the school district, his staff wasn't even completing food production sheets correctly because no one there knew how to complete them.

I went to Corp on August 1, 2016. Never did get the food safety audit job, but I'm ok with that and with what I am doing now. I'm good with all of it and I'm comfortable and I'm paid very well and have great benefits. For example, Costco provides a public transportation benefit of $90 each month that I use for the vanpool/ferry. Previously, just for the vanpool. I am always the driver of the vanpool because I don't like other people's driving and I can go to work, 20 days a month, for 27.00 each month because the vanpool was $117 per person and Costco pays $90 of it. It's the BEST benefit, in my opinion, because I use it every day. I use medical maybe three times a year and dental twice, and vision once - and those benefits costs me several hundreds of dollars for my portion.

Do you like it there?
I am in awe of the beauty of the area. I live in Kitsap County which is all hills, a plethora of trees on every square inch of soil - and I am surrounded by lots and lots of water.

Do you miss California at all?
I've been to Cali at least 8 or 10 times since I moved. I am struck by how treeless it is. California is mostly chaparral. When I lived there, I thought it was beautiful, now I think it's barren when I go there. I don't miss Cali at all.

I know you fled California because of lack of water and your timing seems to have been impeccable.
Plus, when I left in 2014, the East Bay's Hayward fault had not slipped in 150 years, and that was in 2014. It had slipped on the average of every 140 years. As of this writing it still has not slipped.

It was the lack of water AND that the Hayward Fault is ready to go is why I left. Hmm

...and now you know the rest of the story. smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
My dearest dog ever Aggie passed in January 2020. She was 14 at the time, right before the pandemic became real. First dog I had had since I left Hawaii for Oregon in 1975. I had to put her down as she had become so arthritic that she could barely stand up and she was having accidents in the house which humiliated her to no end. But that was the way it was. Fortunately I discovered a vet that came to the house and did the deed on my couch. As painful as that was it was much better than having to take her to some cold sterile vets office.

I still miss that dog tremendously and thinking about getting another one. It would be a rescue of course (as was Aggie) if I were to do so.
Sorry for your loss. When Sammy dawg passed-away, I gave him a thread. frown

Page 2 of 51 1 2 3 4 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard