WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 51 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 50 51
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Regarding the Alaskan Way Geoduck... It closed in January 2019, and the tunnel opened in February. "Demolition work was completed on November 21, 2019, with 240 million pounds (110,000,000 kg) of concrete recycled and 15 million pounds (6,800,000 kg) of steel rebar reclaimed.[61] Some of the concrete from the demolition was pulverized and used to fill the Battery Street Tunnel.[62] New development along the waterfront in downtown Seattle, including a park promenade, is planned to be completed by 2021.[63][64]" Wikipedia.

I'd be interested in Rick's views (literally) of how it looks now, since his ferry ride lands down there. I haven't been down there (the waterfront) since COVID, although when son #2 was going to school there, we went regularly because he lived one block from Pike Place Market.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
K
old hand
old hand
K
Geoduck

I remember the first time I saw one of those we were in the Pike Place Market, of all places. I thought to myself “my god what is that?” That’s a big boy they’re allrighty. Ahem… and as I am sure you are aware but others might not be the pronunciation is gooey duck. How in the heck do they get gooey out of Geo?

Inquiring minds need to know. Or want to anyway.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The name geoduck is derived from a Lushootseed (Nisqually) word gʷídəq either a word composed of a first element of unknown meaning and əq meaning "genitals" (referring to the shape of the clam), or a phrase meaning "dig deep", or perhaps both, as a double entendre.

So we know how it got the pronunciation. What we don't know is how it got the stupid spelling.

This is an aquadog.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
1 member likes this: pdx rick
K
old hand
old hand
K
That’s a mighty fine looking pup. It’s also good you reattached his head. I can see he’s getting gray like all of us but hopefully has a few good years left in him.

That was my point about geoduck. I know it’s sometimes difficult to transliterate some languages into English but one would’ve thought that “they” would have made a better attempt to spell the word as it is pronounced. Such as guiduck?

Naw…..

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
I have not been to Seattle for several years now. It was my understanding that the Alaskan Way viaduct was going to be demolished and then the area changed into an oceanfront park. Has that happened? .
Yes. Hwy 99 is now a double decker tunnel underground. The Alaskan Hwy is a wide-open modern highway with LOTs and LOTs of construction happening.

The entire waterfront is being redone. You can read about it here.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
People are excited here in Seattle because the Mariners are heading to the play-offs. smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I'd be interested in Rick's views (literally) of how it looks now, since his ferry ride lands down there. I haven't been down there (the waterfront) since COVID, although when son #2 was going to school there, we went regularly because he lived one block from Pike Place Market.
Just lots of unfinished construction. Lots of temporary one-way streets. It seems they're about 30% completed with the project. Lots of temporary signals and light poles. Hmm

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Geoduck

I remember the first time I saw one of those we were in the Pike Place Market, of all places. I thought to myself “my god what is that?” That’s a big boy they’re allrighty. Ahem… and as I am sure you are aware but others might not be the pronunciation is gooey duck. How in the heck do they get gooey out of Geo?

The first month with my work transportation money, I purchased a September ferry pass. It is a use it or lose it thing when you buy a monthly pass because the ferry fare is reduced.

Next month, for October, I am just going to let the funds sit in my ORCA card and pay a higher fare...whenever I am charged. The thing is, the ferry employees are so inconsistent...I am charged, I am not charged, the passengers are charged, the passengers are not charged. The vanpool gets waived through the toll booth, the vanpool gets scurintiezed. It's like every WSF employee just makes-up their own rules.

So the risk of just letting the funds sit in my account and pay when needed is a gamble. I think I will come out ahead though, more than I will be behind, based upon what has happened this month.

If I have extra monies on my ORCA card, I can then use those monies to go to Seattle in my personal car on the ferry when I am off from work. I plan on doing that this Saturday and next Wednesday - a week from now.

I'm taking Rocksus to a corn maze on Saturday night in Soquamish and next Wednesday, I'm taking a vaca day because my friend Crystal is coming to Seattle from the Bay Area and we're going to have dinner with her sister on Lake Union. I reserved an outdoor table because the restaurant is right in front of the marina there.

smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
[quote] How in the heck do they get gooey out of Geo?

Not sure what you're talking about there. Hmm

In Portland there is a street called COUCH. The locals call it COOCH. Hmm They call their river WAH-LAM-IT, Us non-locals called WILLAM-ETTE.

Also in Portland, things are "spendy." In Cali and Washington, things are pricey.

smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
[quote]

This is an aquadog.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
aka Roscoe smile

Page 7 of 51 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard