WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,127,557 my own book page
5,021,635 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,591 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,165 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 51 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 50 51
L
veteran
veteran
L
I have mixed feelings about mail order food. As a general thing I lean towards buying local, but if the mail order folks are supporting quality producers wherever they are, who may be struggling to make ends meet, and who may be providing quality meals that are interesting and nutritious, I can't be opposed to that.

Of corse, the meal providers must deal with quality control and the occasional bad provider and they need feedback without instant full termination. It's got to be a complicated flow problem - but what to do about it? Maybe it's a fatal flaw in the business model.

Local is better for a lot of reasons, but it's also a lot more work.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
Title people have begun assembling the papers. A year ago I was expecting to get $260K. It just sold for $387K. Me and the ex haven't hammered out a deal on this place yet but we'll likely split it or somesuch. She gets this place back when I die anyway so it doesn't matter much. Depends a lot on which of us would take the lesser tax hit. She has f*ck tons of money...I have none.

Might be getting a roommate for the winter, a quadriplegic pro bicyclist. Name's Pierre so I'm guessing he's French. He trains here in the winter. Rides a handcycle of some sort.

Here is the exact same kind of functional quad, a friend of mine, Jonathan Merchant.
I shot this film of him back around 2006 or so. He does ride a handcycle...sometimes at 60 mph downhill. shocked

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Interesting research paper came out the other day. Some researchers associated with the Pasteur Institute in France (highly respected) collected virus samples from a whole bunch of bats in Laos, and found one virus that is nearly identical to SARS-COV2 in the Receptor Binding Domain. This is the part of the spike that binds to human ACE2, and lets the virus enter cells. This particular spike binds just as well to ACE2 as SARS-COV2. They showed this virus can infect human cells, and is neutralized by human antibodies against SARS-COV2. They performed a plaque assay, which is a test to show visually the virus killing cells on a culture plate, and it looked just like a SARS-COV2 plaque assay.

Then they figured out all of the molecular binding geometry, and showed why it works just like SARS-COV2! Then they showed how the SARS-COV2 virus is a product of 15 different recombination events, with almost all segments of it's RNA from one of 15 different corona viruses. They have a lovely figure that show all the common parts of all 15 viruses, with each segment labelled as to what other virus they share it with.

This utterly demolishes the "Lab Leak Hypothesis". And it also gives them a virus they can culture that can be used for experiments, that is harmless in humans.

Please PLEASE give us a link to that research paper.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by logtroll
I have mixed feelings about mail order food. As a general thing I lean towards buying local, but if the mail order folks are supporting quality producers wherever they are, who may be struggling to make ends meet, and who may be providing quality meals that are interesting and nutritious, I can't be opposed to that.

Of corse, the meal providers must deal with quality control and the occasional bad provider and they need feedback without instant full termination. It's got to be a complicated flow problem - but what to do about it? maybe it's a fatal flaw in the business model.

Local is better for a lot of reasons, but it's also a lot more work.

Karen is about to subscribe to Hello Fresh, for several reasons.

1. Daryl is back in the hospital again.
He stonewalled for almost two months, insisting he felt fine, but we could see he was taking on as much water as the Titanic.
By the time he FINALLY relented and said okay, he was at 384 pounds.
Well, in the last eighteen days they removed ONE HUNDRED POUNDS of water weight.
Since he only has one kidney (just like his Mom) that was a tough job and the kidney is now recovering.
He seriously needs diet help, and we can't beat him up or put a gun to his head, he's a full grown adult.
But he needs help and he knows it, so a meal plan would be adjusted to meet his nutrition needs.

2. Brianne (who is now living and working up in Portland) subscribed to it because she is just too worn out most
days from working to cook. And she is a fantastic cook by the way, but she just has her cuisine fun on her days off now.
The rest of the time it's Hello Fresh and she said she loves it.

3. Apparently it really DOES cost less than grocery shopping.

4. Karen's too worn out, by the stress of Daryl being sick, and in general, so she is not cooking as much as
she used to and I am less than mediocre in the kitchen unless I am just helping a good cook.
I'm good at following orders.

----So...I guess we'll see how Hello Fresh goes and if it's good I think we will stick with it.
We will only need to get things like coffee, milk, eggs, bread, bacon and the like, and maybe desserts.
Everything else can be HF if it works out.

Daryl says he thinks they will spring him from UCLA Hosp within the week, maybe Friday.

deepfreezefilms.com
K
old hand
old hand
K
Let us know how the Hello Fresh works out Jeff. I enjoy cooking but as it is just me in my house these days sometimes it is difficult to cook for just one person. I used to have a house full of people (plus pets) but that is no longer true. It sucks but I am adjusting…..

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas

Look at the guns on that guy! Hello! laugh
(How can you not appreciate the male form when it looks like THAT?!? Bow )

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
The service that I am using is called: Every Plate

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Today I had an Anderson full-view storm door with interchangeable bug screen and glass door installed so I can have the front door open and get some fresh air, since only the bathroom and loft windows open and the other ones are stationary. I mentioned to the guy installing the door that the only heating source was a wall heater in the bathroom. He pointed to the Daikin mini-split and said: Doesn't that have a heating coil? They usually do. Check the manual.

Turns out he is right. All these past few months, I've been cold at night thinking the only heat source was a wall unit in the bathroom. I've never had a mini-split and always have had central air. I am warm and comfortable while I type this post smile

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
T
T
Manuals are for wusses! :doh: grin

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Manuals are for wusses! :doh: grin