WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
OK, a couple more notes regarding planes that didn’t work - I’m assuming this was a military project and to be honest, I didn’t even think about the military when I stepped into this thread. I just don’t have enough knowledge to address it.

On the other hand I do know a little bit about projects that exist only to create jobs; all over the area where I grew up there are bridges and buildings and playgrounds with little plaques: “built by the WPA.” So it’s not always a bad idea.

Finally, I think you might be referring to Senator Proxmire’s Golden Fleece awards.

The problem with the Golden Fleece awards was
that they often needed better explanations than they
got. Research programs, for example, that sounded
truly bizarre, actually made sense in their little tiny corner of the world - usually related to some sort of medical research. I’m not saying they were all that way; I’m saying a lot of these things actually make
sense when you don’t think they will.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 11/10/21 03:06 AM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
By the way, I had a road trip today and I’m really tired so that lake information is probably less than accurate. The gist of it is correct, I think, but there are some gaps. If I remember in the morning I’ll try to double check it and correct any errors.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
Sorry about that. Hoover Dam, Glen Canyon Dam, Meade, and Powell are all part of the Colorado River Storage Project, and I have a hard time remembering what’s upstream, so to speak.

Ran across a note that Barry Goldwater supported the project at the beginning but seriously regretted it upon completion.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Sorry about that. Hoover Dam, Glen Canyon Dam, Meade, and Powell are all part of the Colorado River Storage Project, and I have a hard time remembering what’s upstream, so to speak.

Ran across a note that Barry Goldwater supported the project at the beginning but seriously regretted it upon completion.

What were his regrets?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
T
T
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Jgw - I may have to respond to your post in two or three shots; I just got home.

My biggest beef with Hoover dam is that it created Lake Powell and Lake Mead. In order to do that it drowned Glen Canyon, which should have been left undisturbed as a national treasure. This was a huge loss and a major boondoggle and not enough people know about it.

The idea that we lost such a beautiful area to recreational lakes is appalling. And Powell and Meade are pretty much useless for water retention; they have so much surface acreage that they lose water faster through evaporation than they reserve from the river.

I very much enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway, in car or on bike, that was a WPA and CCC project, Blue Ridge Parkway
Hoover Damn not such much. But dont worry about Glen Canyon, as it may be reappearing due to the prolonged drought. failpail The archeological sites are probably gone though, which is a big cultural loss for native Americans, but the Government never really took that seriously, ever!

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/10/21 05:05 PM. Reason: Add fail emoji to clarify

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
The dam thing is interesting. Our Indians, for instance, want them all gone. When they were building the dams they had little interest in anything but agriculture and electricity and they did/do the job in that regard. Now, as far as electricity is concerned there are a number of choices. On the other hand there are a lot of people who need the dams, as they are, to survive. I think the thing that bothers me the most is taking out dams to save salmon. That does save the salmon but only to support the breeding of sea lions which are protected (they did give one tribe the right to kill them but, not too many of them).

There are communities that sea lions have virtually taken over. Astoria, Ore is one of those. For years commercial fishermen would kill any sea lion they saw (they are salmon eating machines). That never put the sea lions in danger just regulated the number of them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Strangely...alligators are protected too. And they aren't even cute and cuddly. They breed like roaches and are far more dangerous than your cute, fish-hungry waterdogs.

In the everglades at least the invasive snakes are reducing their numbers(along with all other smallish wildlife) The only drawback there are the millions of dangerous invasive snakes.

Perhaps some form of geoengineering can introduce some disease or poison or apex predators to reduce the numbers of sea lions. Are they good to eat?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Hey. no problem! They can engineer anything! Don' need no nature to take care of thing things! A couple of other things might get poisoned too but then, who cares?

They got lots of fat and, I think, can also provide fur as well!

veteran
veteran
I very much enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway, in car or on bike, that was a WPA and CCC project, Blue Ridge Parkway
Hoover Damn not such much. But dont worry about Glen Canyon, as it may be reappearing due to the prolonged drought. failpail The archeological sites are probably gone though, which is a big cultural loss for native Americans, but the Government never really took that seriously, ever!

TAT[/quote]

A lot of sites are gone for good; even if the water goes completely, there’s a whole lot of silt covering up rock formations and petroglyphs and more; they’ll ever be seen again.

Jefferey, I’ll look for the Goldwater info.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
I’m attaching a very good article, longish but clear. This is what it has to say about Goldwater:

“Before he lost his political career, Goldwater took a trip down to Colorado that was supposed to re-create John Wesley Powell’s famous journey. When he finally retired, after five terms representing Arizona in the US Senate and one failed presidential bid, Goldwater said that the only vote he regretted having cast was the one that led to the damming of Glen Canyon.

“I think of that river as it was when I was a boy, he said. “And that is the way I would like to see it again. “

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/16/the-lost-canyon-under-lake-powell

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard