WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 51 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 50 51
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
New varient we might not be immune to. Nice!!! crazy Sounds like Corona has mutated to ignore the current vaccines, and we will be at square one again. rolleyes

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

Welp, I could use some more Work From Home time and stimmy monies. laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It may have enough spike changes to evade the antibodies originally made by the vaccines. That would mean more vaccinated people could get infections. But the vaccines did two things that are going to fight any variant:

1. They made activated T and B-cells that respond to much wider viral epitopes than antibodies. When those T-cells encounter any corona virus (including SARS1 or MERS) they quickly get B-cells cranking out antibodies specific to that new variant. So the race between the virus and the immune system is fixed way in favor of the immune system.

2. If your immune system has a couple of months following vaccination, some "antibody evolution" takes place in the lymph nodes and other germinal centers. You start making all sorts of related, but different, antibodies. Pretty much antibodies against every variant possible. Evolution has selected for us making those related antibodies, just to keep up with virus mutation. That's called "co-evolution" and it's a very real thing.

What we should be looking for is how many vaccinated South Africans are ending up seriously ill or dead. The hospitalized number is not very useful in a country with so many poor people and lots of AIDS patients. Too many rich people get hospitalized when they don't need it, and way too many poor people have to just die at home. But eventually, a more deadly variant may emerge. The vaccinated or previously infected will do well. Non-immune people will die at a much higher rate.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
2 members like this: NW Ponderer, pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Makes sense. Thanks PIA. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

L
veteran
veteran
L
Big day today, I'm ready to sit down. Got up early, made coffee, and spent too long posting on RR; made Saturday morning hashbrowns and baked bacon; drafted and estimated a roof to span the space between two shipping containers for more forkliftable storage; went to the hardware store for parts to make a heavy duty extension cord for working at the cabin; stopped by my buddy's bicycle shop to pick up my electric bike that I took in for a tune-up and tires seven years ago; took all the screens off and washed the house windows, then cleaned and installed the winter storms; took the bike for a test ride (you never forget how to ride); shopped online for a couple of special tools; and put together a fresh Johnson-Su compost batch (leaves, litter from the chicken house, and biochar) - one with a big food waste hole in the middle for the worms to eat.

Time for a gin and tonic and a few more pages of Finding The Mother Tree. Later we'll walk downtown for the community lighted Christmas parade.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Just curious: How long do you have to let a chicken manure-based compost heap cook? I've heard of a lot of folks frying their plants with chicken poop compost because the nitrogen content is so high. That always seemed to me a reason to use less in your heap than you would something more benign like cow pies, but I've read some treatises about letting it brew longer.

Still have not got our chicken coop assembled yet, but coop litter is immanent.

Last edited by pondering_it_all; 11/27/21 11:39 PM.

L
veteran
veteran
L
I confess I'm not an expert on conventional composting, which is accelerated and bacteria dominant. I do know that adding biochar will improve the process and adsorb nitrogen, among other things, to be made available over the longer term. Such compost is generally considered to be a nutrient input to soils.

The Johnson-Su reactor is a static pile device that allows the compost to mature for a year, which allows it to become fungal dominant, and the extended period fully breaks everything down. The end product is soil health improving, microbially rich inoculant, and is not considered so much as a nutrient input.

That said, our chicken litter is probably less than 10% poop and 90% hay and straw. I'd guess that ratio, especially when mixed with other biomass and composted, sufficiently dilutes the potency of the manure to make it easily usable without concern.

R. Buckminster Fuller
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by logtroll
Later we'll walk downtown for the community lighted Christmas parade.
Later we did walk, and saw the parade - all 14 minutes of it! It was the stuff of a wonderful short story about a tiny, not very wealthy community doing its best to keep up a non-virtual existence in an era of CGI. It was pretty pathetic, but oddly inspiring. Got in a nice brisk walk.

R. Buckminster Fuller
T
T
I have read your lynx which are informative re fungal dominance, and I have dribbled in compost tea to fight fuksarium fungus. I was trying for a bacterial biofilm to fill possible fungal niches, so I goosed my compost tea in an a large plastic trash can, with some sugar, spiked with PO4 and NH3 of some kind, and infected it with Actinomate, Actinomyces refs.. It worked , but learned other workarounds. I'm reconsidering it after this fungal year, that I read about somewhere. I,m trying for a more bacteria dominance, but what could go worng?

So, that's why I am cautious about adding an unknown fungus rich compost to my beds. Of course, I can see both sides of it, but I dont want to risk all of next years crop, which would be worst case scenario... no that would have been the year when I burned everything with a hotter than expected mix of chicken and mushroom poops not quite composted!

TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have cut tree branches in the bottom of one raised bed (Hugelkultur), and that's the bed where my summer squash all perished by fungus. So I'm thinking I should remove the wood, and just add some perlite to help the soil retain moisture instead. We are in a high fire danger zone, so any burning of green waste is illegal: I'm not making any biochar in the foreseeable future.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
Can I tell him?

Racism
White privelege
White superiority
Living in an alternate reality
The inability to process information for himself

...just to name a few reasons. smile

I think the cartoonist was referring to the picture of Trump on the wall...
Same difference. wink

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Page 41 of 51 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard