WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have been working my way through this screed opinion, but it is a hard and disgusting slog, kinda like trying to find your keys that got dropped in the garbage can. The appendix is probably the most appalling. He cites every abortion law from the 19th Century without acknowledging why those laws were passed. I'll give you a hint - slavery was still legal, then, too. This is extremely dangerous stuff, but shows the utter extremity of Alito.

I will note, however, that it is unlikely this opinion will be the final one issued by the Court (although it may be). This was a February 10 First Draft. Those almost always get greatly modified, and often the "majority coalition" which initially voted is broken into factions. I think there will be at least 3 opinions. One (Alito, Thomas, Barrett, Kavanaugh) will seek to overrule Roe and Casey entirely, on the basis in this opinion. I think Gorsuch and Roberts will be in the middle, with a concurrence, arguing for only the narrowing of Roe and Casey, but upholding the law in question. And, of course, at least one vigorous dissent, although the issue may inspire multiple separate dissents.

What is breathtaking is the temerity and mendacity of this opinion. Alito claims this is "only about abortion," but everyone knows that is a lie, obviously, just as Barrett and Kavanaugh lied directly in the face of everyone about "respecting precedent" in their confirmation hearings. They knew why they were picked, and this is just the start. The basis for this opinion is the same basis for Dred Scott and other mendacious decisions of the past - we have the authority, so we'll dictate the outcome. They do not believe in the 9th Amendment, the 14th Amendment, or in "equal rights," at all. As was listed above, "LGBT" rights, contraception, and any other "privacy interests" are on the chopping block (except for corporations).

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I have been working my way through this screed opinion, but it is a hard and disgusting slog, kinda like trying to find your keys that got dropped in the garbage can. The appendix is probably the most appalling. He cites every abortion law from the 19th Century without acknowledging why those laws were passed. I'll give you a hint - slavery was still legal, then, too. This is extremely dangerous stuff, but shows the utter extremity of Alito.

I will note, however, that it is unlikely this opinion will be the final one issued by the Court (although it may be). This was a February 10 First Draft. Those almost always get greatly modified, and often the "majority coalition" which initially voted is broken into factions. I think there will be at least 3 opinions. One (Alito, Thomas, Barrett, Kavanaugh) will seek to overrule Roe and Casey entirely, on the basis in this opinion. I think Gorsuch and Roberts will be in the middle, with a concurrence, arguing for only the narrowing of Roe and Casey, but upholding the law in question. And, of course, at least one vigorous dissent, although the issue may inspire multiple separate dissents.

What is breathtaking is the temerity and mendacity of this opinion. Alito claims this is "only about abortion," but everyone knows that is a lie, obviously, just as Barrett and Kavanaugh lied directly in the face of everyone about "respecting precedent" in their confirmation hearings. They knew why they were picked, and this is just the start. The basis for this opinion is the same basis for Dred Scott and other mendacious decisions of the past - we have the authority, so we'll dictate the outcome. They do not believe in the 9th Amendment, the 14th Amendment, or in "equal rights," at all. As was listed above, "LGBT" rights, contraception, and any other "privacy interests" are on the chopping block (except for corporations).

He also quoted a 17th century jurist who was famous for putting women to death as witches. Yeah, he's a whackjob alright.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
California man obsessed with foreskins...!

Yeah, that works too.

Not sure if you've seen or heard the innumerable and humorous "Florida Man" memes, but I assure you this was not a personal attack on you just because you live in Florida.

It's a variation on a theme, or "meme" and nothing more.
It was a joke.

"Florida Man" meme on Wikipedia

Also...I am not a biblical character.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
This ruling is an attack on privacy. THAT is what Roe is about.

Then there is the issue of “abortion is not in the Constitution.”

Welp neither are owning AR-15s and Corporations are people, my friend. Neither of those concepts are there either.

This decision will drive a blue wave in November. The House has already passed legislation to codify abortion, only the Senate is needed now. A blue wave will add more Dem Senators and we won’t need DINOs. Sinema and Manchin. THEN Joe can pass ALL of his Agenda.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would not be too surprised if we see some lawsuits against states that force women to carry to term. Not many people know this but carrying to term and giving birth is over 50 times more dangerous than any abortion. When you look at medication-induced abortions it goes WAY WAY up. It might actually be infinite, because medication-induced abortion is so safe.

There could be a counter argument because women could simply choose not to have sex, but here's where the lack of exceptions for rape and most incest cases falls apart. The state is forcing those innocent victims to take part in a dangerous medical experiment that may cost them their lives.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pdx rick
This ruling is an attack on privacy. THAT is what Roe is about.

Then there is the issue of “abortion is not in the Constitution.”

Welp neither are owning AR-15s and Corporations are people, my friend. Neither of those concepts are there either.

This decision will drive a blue wave in November. The House has already passed legislation to codify abortion, only the Senate is needed now. A blue wave will add more Dem Senators and we won’t need DINOs. Sinema and Manchin. THEN Joe can pass ALL of his Agenda.
I think you can dream, but I think abortion for the most part is already baked in. Those who rank abortion at near the top of their issues in determining how they'll vote, pro-choice already vote democratic, pro-life Republican. As for your blue wave, the question is if the SCOTUS overturns Roe, will the abortion issue among independents rise above rising prices, empty store shelves, thinning to flat wallets, inflation and the economy in general? Today, prior to the release of the draft among independents 38% list the economy, inflation as their most important issue, 4% list abortion. Those numbers need to change for a blue wave. I don't know if they will or won't. Time will provide that answer.

Has anyone else thought about the leaked draft as being a trial baloon? Both parties do that all the time when they're thinking about doing something or proposing legislation or something akin to that. To fire off a trial baloon to see how the public will react before doing anything? Perhaps that is the cynic in me. But it's the first thing I thought of.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Florida Man" meme on Wikipedia

I live here Jeffery, I'm well aware of the Florida man memes. While they may not seem like an attack to you, I am a Florida man and they feel like an attack to me.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
abortion for the most part is already baked in

I disagree here. As a political football yes. But as a health care issue, it doesn't just go away.

There will be ugly repercussions and there will be lawsuits. But Amazon, among other corporations, said they would reimburse travel expenses for an employee who had to go out of state for a medical procedure...so there will be workarounds. Teen pregnancies are down so perhaps there won't be too many young women harmed or killed by this before it ultimately gets straightened out.

But I think this sends ripples into the independent ranks as well as the partisans.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This decision will drive a blue wave in November.

No, but it will help to limit the losses to exactly the margins we've been predicting for months.

Even if it's not true.

Supreme court justices have a lot of time on their hands, they only hear a few cases a year and the rest of the time sit around dreaming of opinions they might like to write. Maybe sometimes they actually write them...and maybe they somehow got leaked...

Who knows...?

But it's gonna cause a sh*tstorm for a while and will be an overall positive for Democrats.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Today, I'm focused on the midterms. The politics of it all, who'll it will help or hurt. Not the medical.That will come later if the SCOTUS does strike down Roe. I'm leaning toward a trial baloon now. Although I'm far from sure and wouldn't bet a nickle on it.

How that s*** storm will affect the midterms remains to be seen. According to Gallup, very in-depth report, those who are pro-choice and or pro-life are evenly divided. 49-47. 2nd graph. There a ton of information in their report or poll, history galore.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

The group to watch in my opinion is the 32% who believe abortion should be legal, but only in limited circumstances. Rape, incest, life of the mother, maybe a couple of other excepts, but not everyone for any reason group. Only 19% believe abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. That’s a small group. What I need to determine is how much importance this group of 32% place on abortion vs. other issues especially inflation, rising prices, etc. Like the 1-6 hearings, I don’t think this will be the panacea the democrats think it will be. As for Abrams running on the leaked draft, that’s fine. But I think she is doing nothing more than speaking to the choir, energizing her existing base. Nothing wrong with that if it gets them to the polls. My question is how many independents will change their mind or decide to vote for her because of abortion? I don’t think it will be many. Rising prices, inflation, thinning to flat wallets is where their attention is. In other words, this may be baked in already with a handful changing their minds. Time will tell.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard