WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Coups are illegal, no matter who attempts them. If you don't punish the failed attempts, lots of folks will think they could do better and try it themselves. Last time some folks tried this and nearly succeeded it killed about 620,000 soldiers. Much easier and cheaper to just punish the ring leaders instead of half the country. An ounce of prevention, etc.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I remember when the GOP nominated Trump that I was thinking a Democratic landslide in 2016 would happen. How stupid could the Republicans be? Then the Democrats turned around and nominate Clinton. It was there goes the landslide, close election, Clinton should win. In 2016 the Democratic base was 5 points higher than the GOP base. I followed independents closely, after the democratic convention, they were always a couple of points in Trump’s favor to include the final results. Turnout, the Democrats held only a 3-point advantage among those who voted, the GOP had the higher percentage of their base turn out. Independents gave Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin to Trump. Those 3 states, I was blindsided on. Fluke, yes, the earth, moon, sun, stars and even galaxies had to align just right for Trump to win, they did.

2018 was a normal midterm, a referendum on Trump. The GOP lost 44 house seats.

2020 wasn’t normal when it came to the independent voter and ticket splitters. 41% of independents voted for Trump, but 48% voted for Republican congressional candidates, 51% for Republican senator candidates and 52% for Republican governor candidates. Approximately 7 million voters voted for Biden, then Republican down ballot enabling the GOP to pickup 13 house seats, a governorship and 2 state legislatures. Not a vote for Biden as more a vote against Trump. First time since 1884 where a candidate won the popular vote on his way to the presidency and lost house seats. Only the second time in our history that happened. Big difference though, Grover Cleveland won the popular vote in 1884 by a mere 58,000, lost 8 house seats. Biden won the popular vote by 7 plus million and lost 13. No coat tails at all for Biden. He didn’t bring along a single democratic candidate with his huge 7 plus million vote victory.
Hence, me stating 2020 was an election which rejected Trump, that was all it was. No endorsement for Democratic policies or agenda, no mandate, no nothing outside of rejecting Trump. The Democrats have misread 2020 as they only looked at the presidential, not the entire ballot or election.
I agree, no red wave this midterm. Today’s numbers don’t show that. Although there’s plenty of time for that to change. The change could go either way, or they could remain steady as they have since January. Hurting the Democrats in the house is 31 incumbents decided to either retire or seek higher office vs 18 for the Republicans. Open seats are much easier to switch than beating an incumbent. This is one why I’ve changed from 8-10 to 18-20 house seats lost by the democrats from 3 months ago. 2018 there were twice as many Republican house member retirements or seeking higher office than Democrats. 18 Democrats, 34 Republicans.

https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_U.S._Congress_incumbents_who_are_not_running_for_re-election_in_2022

I agree that indicting Trump in either New York or Georgia could energize the GOP base to turnout in droves come November or throwing him in jail. I can’t tell you how independents would take that, it seems they’ve been sitting on the sidelines ignoring Trump since he lost the presidency. He’s no longer president, no longer in charge, ancient history to most of them. Backfire, it sure could if it looks like the Democrats are seeking political revenge.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Coups are illegal, no matter who attempts them. If you don't punish the failed attempts, lots of folks will think they could do better and try it themselves. Last time some folks tried this and nearly succeeded it killed about 620,000 soldiers. Much easier and cheaper to just punish the ring leaders instead of half the country. An ounce of prevention, etc.

Lots of folks? Like the Proud Boys and Oathkepers? I think overthrowing the US Government might be a little harder than you imagine. And the tenuous hold on power that the Democratic Party currently has is possibly much weaker than you can imagine.

Locking up Trump is more likely than not going to deliver power back to the very folks you want out of power. And if your theories of lost democracies and fascism occur, it might be because of a failed coup against conservatism by Democrats.

On the other hand, it might turn out admirably, Trump and his cohorts all in jail. Tucker Carlson killed by Democrat Radicals, FOX News boycotted and black listed with only decent Americans allowed to broadcast news and opinion.

The House and Senate held in 2022 with a massive Blue Wave proving solidarity among all Americans with Democrats and the end of the Republican Party and conservatism in America.

Joe Biden will be reelected by a landslide in 2024 with no Republican opponent because they are all in jail. Huzzah!

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard