WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by jgw - 06/11/24 08:38 PM
Time to Impeach Thomas
by jgw - 06/11/24 05:56 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by perotista - 06/10/24 11:53 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/10/24 06:17 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 06/06/24 05:31 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:20 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by NW Ponderer - 06/05/24 09:15 AM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,170,956 my own book page
5,023,343 We shall overcome
4,204,879 Campaign 2016
3,799,114 Trump's Trumpet
3,020,885 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,300
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 9
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,095
Posts313,909
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
enthusiast
enthusiast
That doesn’t matter. 16% of Republicans watched the primetime hearings while close to 60% were Democrats. I imagine most of the Republicans who watched were anti-Trumpers. What you had was an audience of anti-Trumpers watching the hearing, very little pro-Trumpers. Of those who watched the primetime event, only 3% of those voted for Trump in 2020 watched all or some vs. 54% of those who voted for Biden watched all or part of it.

So, the avid Trumpers/Republicans aren’t going to know that most of the witnesses were Republicans. The breakdown via party is also interesting on whether they approved or disapproved of the hearings. Democrats 80% approved, 10% disapproved. Among Republicans, 22% approved, 68% disapproved while independents broke fairly evenly, 40% approval, 37% disapproval. With an audience of mostly anti-Trumpers, those who want Trump prosecuted, convicted and sent to jail, I doubt they changed many if anyone’s mind about him. From what I have seen so far, they haven’t changed anyone’s planned vote for November either.

The bottom line going over the numbers, those who want Trump thrown into jail watched, those who don’t along with those who don’t care one way or the other, didn’t watch. That is exactly what I expected before the hearings took place.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
I thought its pretty interesting that the founder, and head of, the Proud Boys, is a Canadian citizen. That, I think, is pretty interesting. I wonder why the news channels seems to have missed that one (along with a few other things)

Oh, Liz Cheney has said she has the proof of her saying that a sitting congressman asked Trump for a pardon. I am beginning to wonder if the first public display of the House Select Committee is a setup for the Republicans to show their outrage at horrible things that the Democrats have said about their Kindly Christian political party (GOP). If they actually are doing that its gonna get real interesting!

I also wonder if Fox is going to show the rest given that it cost them real money to not show the first one.
A few thoughts: First, the J6 committee is playing the long game. Second, Liz Cheney (in particular) is feeding out rope for the miscreants to hang themselves. Every claim she has made so far has proved out, just ask Rep Loudermilk, who keeps getting caught lying. Even Fox got burned, and is responding. Third, the narrative is slowly changing. As the information from the hearings percolates out, more people are becoming aware of the depth and breadth of the conspiracy. I think that trend will continue.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 06/17/22 03:54 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
1 member likes this: pdx rick
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ponderer, personally, I think you’re dreaming. As to the midterm results anyway. Inflation is the big boy in the room. Everything else is secondary or irrelevant. Election wise that is. When inflation is tamed and we’re back to more normal economic times, then you may be correct. You’re probably looking at least a year down the road for that to happen though. As for Liz Cheney, she has a 29% favorable rating, 27% unfavorable with 56% not sure or don’t know who the heck she is. No opinion. If you live outside of Wyoming, you must be a political junkie to even have an idea who Cheney is. There’re few political junkies out there.

More bad news, let me introduce you to the world outside of Democratic Party circles. You won’t like it.

Poll: Biden disapproval hits new high as more Americans say they would vote for Trump

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-bid...they-would-vote-for-trump-090021657.html

This boils down to inflation, inflation and inflation. Everything else is secondary or irrelevant to quite a lot of Americans to include abortion, mass school shootings and the 1-6 hearings.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by jgw
I thought its pretty interesting that the founder, and head of, the Proud Boys, is a Canadian citizen. That, I think, is pretty interesting. I wonder why the news channels seems to have missed that one (along with a few other things)

Oh, Liz Cheney has said she has the proof of her saying that a sitting congressman asked Trump for a pardon. I am beginning to wonder if the first public display of the House Select Committee is a setup for the Republicans to show their outrage at horrible things that the Democrats have said about their Kindly Christian political party (GOP). If they actually are doing that its gonna get real interesting!

I also wonder if Fox is going to show the rest given that it cost them real money to not show the first one.
A few thoughts: First, the J6 committee is playing the long game. Second, Liz Cheney (in particular) is feeding out rope for the miscreants to hang themselves. Every claim she has made so far has proved out, just ask Rep Loudermilk, who keeps getting caught lying. Even Fox got burned, and is responding. Third, the narrative is slowly changing. As the information from the hearings percolates out, more people are becoming aware of the depth and breadth of the conspiracy. I think that trend will continue.
Great strategy of the J6 committee to have only Republicans testifying and burying the criminal exPOTUS. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
I thought it a bit strange when the guy running the committee got all upset that the DOJ wanted their existing findings so they could use them in their efforts to go after the bad guys. All they had to do is turn over the papers! Yet another Democratic secret thing I guess. Oh, then they apparently changed their minds.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Not turning the material over was more the J6 committee waiting to turn over evidence AFTER it was presented publicly last Thursday night. What the DOJ wanted was material related to the Proud Boys’ leader Enrique Tarrio.

Good to see the J6 committee and the DOJ coordinating efforts. As Merrick Garland stated, DOJ prosecutors are watching the hearings too and taking notes.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting:

Nearly 6 In 10 Americans Want Trump Charged For Insurrection

The new poll, conducted June 17 and 18, found that 58% of those surveyed believe Trump should be charged with a crime for his role. An ABC News/Washington Post poll conducted in April found that 52% of those surveyed thought the same.

The latest poll also found that 58% of Americans believe Trump bears either a “great deal” or a “good amount” of responsibility for the events of Jan. 6 last year. Another 17% believes Trump bears “just some” responsibility.

58% + 17% = 75% who say Trump bears some responsibility. His 30% true believer percentage is shrinking! I'd say this means there are zero Republican-leaning Independents, and 9% of Republicans actually think Trump should get some of the blame for the insurrection. I think this will be a green light for Justice Department action, since the only people who will be upset about a Trump indictment will be his (shrinking) base.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
That's all well and good, however, the fascists like the Texas Republican Party just enshrined into their platform that the 2020 election is illegitimate. Trump might go away (...to prison hopefully), but his lying will live in perpetuity because the fascists will keep the lie alive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
2 things this bright beautiful morning. 1. Correct, 6 in 10 Americans want Trump charged or prosecuted, up from 4 in 10. But as of today, 20 June, the hearings or wanting Trump charged hasn’t changed who folks plan on voting for in November. Losing the House and possibly the senate. Plenty of time left, but I consider the House a goner. The senate, plus or minus one for either party or staying a 50-50 tie.

2 Trump may be put in jail. But the danger lies in who replaces him. You have an obnoxious, uncouth, rude idiot which only Republicans like. As is the case in these things, someone else will replaced the very disliked Trump. That someone else will probably be another Trumper with the same views as Trump. Only Trump’s replacement will probably be much more tactful, more political savvy, have a pleasant personality, behave more presidential, act like a candidate most folks think a candidate should and not as a very distasteful reality TV host. Trump’s replacement may be a charmer and definitely more charismatic which matters to the independent voter. Dems are going to vote Democratic and Reps Republican.

Of course, Trump’s replacement may be none of the above, but the possibility exists. For the first time since 1939 when Pew Research and Gallup began keeping track of party affiliation, the two major party’s bases are even. The Democratic Party no longer has the larger base. Republicans and Democrats cancel each other out. Independents, the non-affiliated, the less to non-partisan’s, the less informed voters, those who don’t pay much if any attention to politics before an election nears are now in the driver’s seat in deciding winners and losers. A more tactful and congenial GOP candidate, although a Trumper with his same views might have appeal to them. Hence, being more dangerous than Trump.

Last edited by perotista; 06/20/22 02:13 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ron DeSantis is Trump's replacement. Whether he is electable remains to be seen. He isn't rich, or corrupt. Is not a celebrity, and has dedicated his life to the service of his country.

Most Republicans know Trump is guilty just like you and I do. Trump getting locked up is not going to turn them into Democrats. Taking him out of the running knocks the ball right into DeSantis' court.

Pence is probably going to run too.

And once again I point out that there are no emerging leaders on the Democratic side. Pelosi has succeeded in silencing whatever passed for a progressive wing within the ranks of the House and while Bernie is still making waves in the Senate there's not another "people's candidate" following in his footsteps.

So it looks to me like progressivism might be dead for a few years while we iron out another economic disaster.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 

Link Copied to Clipboard