WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
By Doug Thompson

At least two of the Supreme Court justices appointed in recent years told Senators they would not vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. They lied.

Late last week, the U.S. Supreme Court, now controlled by right-wing extremists appointed by a disgraced, corrupt former president, overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that has stood for several decades, clearing the way for other extremists to take away a woman’s right to choose an abortion.

That former president, Donald Trump, lied more than 30,000 times to Congress and the American public during his disastrous four years in office and led a violent attempt to overturn democracy during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, with false claims that the election was fraudulently “stolen” from him.

Hearings on that riot have detailed Trump’s traitorous, sedition-based, attempts to take control of America through a violent, bloody coup that fell just short of its goal.

Lies were modus operandi for Trump. So are at least two of his appointed Supreme Court who helped bring a sudden end to the protections of Roe v, Wade. So far, at least three Senators said they lied outright to them to gain the votes they needed for confirmation.

“I trusted Justice (Neil M.) Gorsuch and Justice (Brett) Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe v. Wade was settled legal precedent, and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans,” Senator Joe Manchin, a deciding Democrat on the confirmation of the justices, said after Friday’s action.

“I feel misled,” says Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who was going to vote against Brett Kavanaugh, another right-winger advocated by the now-disgraced former president Donald Trump.

Notes from Collins and others confirm Kavanaugh’s promise to keep Roe v. Wade in place when he said:

Start with my record, my respect for precedent, my belief that it is rooted in the Constitution, and my commitment and its importance to the rule of law. I understand precedent and I understand the importance of overturning it.

Roe is 45 years old, it has been reaffirmed many times, lots of people care about it a great deal, and I’ve tried to demonstrate I understand real-world consequences. I am a don’t-rock-the-boat kind of judge. I believe in stability and in the Team of Nine.

To echo the words of former Attorney General William Barr, who told Trump that his ludicrous claims that election fraud cost him re-election in 2020, the best word to describe Kavanaugh is “bullshit.”

“I have no respect left for some justices when you consider what they told us in their confirmation hearings,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, also a former Supreme Court clerk. “Their credibility is approaching zero with us, but also with the American people.”

What else should we expect from appointees of a known liar like Trump, who was exposed as even more of criminal fraud in hearings by the Select Committee on the Jan. 6 Capitol Riot that he promoted in a failed attempt to try and overturn democracy in America?

Trump promised to “reshape” the Supreme Court. Instead, he turned the court into a corrupt, twisted morass that is quickly finding questionable ways to put America back into the dark ages.

Equally corrupt and dishonest Justice Clarence Thomas helped the three new right-wingers to overturn years of progress by what was once a top court that depended on the law and the Constitution, not the bias of bigotry.

The homophobic Thomas wants the court to overturn the decision that legalized gay marriage along with decisions that extended rights to gays. Hell, he wants the court to interfere with married couples’ rights to obtain and use contraceptives.

“In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell,” Thomas wrote on Page 119 of the opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health.

In referring to the rulings that legalized same-sex relationships and marriage equality, respectively, Thomas claimed: “any substantive due process decision is ‘demonstrably erroneous’ … we have a duty to ‘correct the error’ established in those precedents.”

Perhaps this is what we should expect from the Justice whose wife was a major player in the attempt to overturn the Electoral College votes that gave Joe Biden a clear, legal, victory over the corrupt Trump. She continues to speak to groups and uses such lies to support an attempted coup.

Like the corrupt president who appointed three extremists to the Court and the anti-law justice already on the court, we have an American under attack from traitors. They must be stopped and punished for their treason against America.

Copyright © 2022 Capitol Hill Blue

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
In the Kennedy v Bremerton case, Justice Gorsuch lied when he wrote the majority opinion by framing the facts of the case incorrectly and then basing his legal reasoning on those incorrect facts. Essentially, The Supreme Court handed the religious Right a big victory by lying about the facts of a case.

Then we have the lies that Gorsuch and Kavanaugh told to the Judicial committee in order they they get placed onto the court. Kavanaugh even went so far as to state that precedence is in and of itself precedent.

This Rightwing have been planning the takeover of all three branches of government for decades. I would say since 2000 when the Conservative court (s)elected GW Bush who then gave us the Patriot Acts taking away freedoms. That was the start.

As we have seen with recent SCOTUS rulings, more Rights are being taken away, but Rights that Conservatives cherish are not. Rightwing Fascism is taking over America and we're losing the fair and progressively equal America that most of us grew up with - as we speed towards a point of no return.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting idea: Article III, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution reads that judges shall remain in their position so long as they follow "good behaviour." Perjury under oath before congress is a felony. So those Supreme Court Justices who claimed stare decisis made Roe v. Wade a settled issue should be indicted for perjury. They set out purposefully to deceive congress in order to obtain their appointments. That is certainly NOT good behavior, so their appointments should be terminated and they should serve their sentences upon conviction.,

We MUST charge, convict, and sentence criminals or everybody will decide there is no penalty for criminal behavior in the future. Get on with it, Garland!

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Three Justices were appointed by a president elected by a minority of Americans who took away a popular right essential to equality and autonomy for half the population. Both in 2016 and 2020, Donald Trump lost the popular vote. But, the three justices didn't stop there.

The three judges Trump put on the Supreme Court, in just one week of just one term they took away rights from women, children getting murdered in schools, Native American tribal sovereignty, "the literal earth," Miranda rights, and they promised next term they'd come for "one person one vote" when they said they'd take up whether state legislatures can pick anyone they want to be president.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Interesting idea: Article III, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution reads that judges shall remain in their position so long as they follow "good behaviour." Perjury under oath before congress is a felony. So those Supreme Court Justices who claimed stare decisis made Roe v. Wade a settled issue should be indicted for perjury. They set out purposefully to deceive congress in order to obtain their appointments. That is certainly NOT good behavior, so their appointments should be terminated and they should serve their sentences upon conviction.,

We MUST charge, convict, and sentence criminals or everybody will decide there is no penalty for criminal behavior in the future. Get on with it, Garland!
Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh need to be investigated. If found they purposely lied to Congress, they need to be impeached and every ruling they participated in, overturned.

Additionally, Thomas and seditious wife need to be investigated as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The Democratic controlled house could impeach those two anytime they want. A simple majority is all it takes to impeach them. As for the charge, the Constitution basically leaves it up to the house what is and isn’t an impeachable offense. Spitting on the sidewalks would do. Then the problem, the trial in the senate. Conviction and removal require 2/3rds of the senators voting guilty, which now is 67 senators. But as shown in the Bill Clinton impeachment and both Trump impeachments, getting any of the other party’s senators to vote guilty is near impossible. To remove them, you’d need all 50 democrats and 27 Republicans voting guilty, which isn’t going to happen. Impeaching them would be a total waste of time, energy and money.

Even if found guilty, removed, etc. it wouldn’t affect any of the decisions they were involved in.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Conviction in the Senate is already a forgone conclusion, the fascist, anti-democracy Republicans won’t convict.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I reckon you need to write your congressman, Rick.

Probably no one else in the country has thought of this clever trick to remove any SC justices one party or the other doesn't like, any time they get a majority in congress.

Then whoever is the prez gets to name the replacement. Tell 'em to hurry though! They've only got until November!

Then the investigations into the impeachment of Joe Biden will begin.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
There’re two things that has been promised if the GOP retakes the House. Greger, you got one correct right off the bat, the impeachment of Joe Biden. It will happen. The second is McCarthy’s vow not to let certain Democratic selected, chosen house members to sit on some committees.

The first is payback for impeaching Trump twice. The second is payback for Pelosi not allowing McCarthy’s choices to sit on the 1-6 committee as Pelosi denied McCarthy’s choices, then selected the 2 republicans to sit on the committee herself. Not allowing the minority leader to choose his own members for a committee was a first. It never happened before. Another precedence setting first by the democrats just like the nuclear option. You can bet Adam Schiff is one who probably won’t be allowed to sit on any committee, there probably will be a couple more.

Our politics of today is more about revenge and payback than governing. But I expect nothing less in today’s modern political era of polarization, the great divide and the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship. Not when a third of both major parties view the other party as this nation’s number one enemy, more of an enemy than Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, terrorist, etc. This is an old poll, so it’s probably half or more of each major party views the other party as this nation’s number one enemy by now.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/pu...voters_see_each_other_as_america_s_enemy

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard