WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with Pondering. The problem with progressives is they want massive changes, giant leaps forward, everything right now which takes most folks out of their comfort zone. Take people out of their comfort zone, then progressive lose the next election big. Example is 2010 and 1994. Most folks want to live in their comfort zone, they all for change, all for moving forward, but small steps forward at a time. Not any gigantic leap across the Grand Canyon. The trick in my opinion is to keep plugging away with little steps all the time, this keeps people in their comfort zone, and it keeps the people supporting you.

Try for the moon, all at once, that takes folks out of their comfort zone and boom, you’re out of power.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
I agree with Pondering. The problem with progressives is they want massive changes, giant leaps forward, everything right now which takes most folks out of their comfort zone. Take people out of their comfort zone,
Cry it out. It’s good for the soul.

Regressive activist judges did just that in a single week.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's some sort of disconnect here. Because that's not what Pondering said at all.

He said conservatives always lose in the end. And that's exactly how it works.

But we're a long way from the end. It will take a generation to achieve a liberal-leaning SC.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Why is Gym Jordan (R-OH) refusing to speak to the J6 committee? Any ideas? Isn't it odd that the next presumed Judiciary Committee Chairman is refusing cooperate with an investigation?

Is it because Cassidy Hutchinson implicated Jordan in the coup and the insurrection? Why was Gym trying to contact Mark Meadows on J6 with a burner phone? What did Gym do with his burner phones? Why was Gym even using burner phones? Don’t sneaky people who don’t want to be caught at something, the ones who use burner phones?

This is what we know: After the violence of Jan. 6th subsided, Jordan led the effort on the floor of the Senate to delay and obstruct the counting of the Electoral Votes, and was perhaps the most vocal and visible of the 147 Congressional Republicans who voted to overturn Biden’s victory - essentially knowingly and willingly fostering Trump's "Big Lie" on the floor of The People's Capitol.

What kind of people do that?

Contrarian, extraordinaire

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Republicans were given a carte blanche invitation to participate in the Jan 6 Cmte any way they wanted.
Pelosi only objected to TWO people out of the dozens put up, and for a good reason.
Reps. Jim Banks (R-Ind.) and Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) were already widely known for supporting the “big lie” that President Donald Trump won the 2020 election, and for defending the rioters.

So what did McCarthy do? He pulled all five off the panel and vowed the House GOP would conduct their own inquiry. Pelosi has already appointed seven Democrats and two Republicans, Liz Cheney (Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger, who not only voted to impeach Trump for inciting the insurrection, but continue to criticize him publicly. Pelosi didn’t rule out appointing more Republicans.
That is why it is known AS a "select panel".....SELECT being the key word.

McCarthy even threatened to take away committee assignments if first-term members accepted Pelosi’s invitation to join the Select Committee.

Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and the GOP-led Senate refused to consider President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee for nearly a year because of the approaching presidential election, and then confirmed Trump’s nominee in a record amount of time in 2020 just days before voters went to the polls. That's playing more than just "hardball"...that's stripping the President of his power to even NOMINATE a Supreme Court Justice altogether.

That's not even baseball, that's the pitcher trying intentionally to hit the batter in the head.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Try for the moon, all at once, that takes folks out of their comfort zone and boom, you’re out of power.

So, eliminating the right to privacy altogether (starting with overturning Roe) isn't considered a radical move out of the national comfort zone?
Eighty percent of Americans have been shown to disagree.

deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
enthusiast
Number one, I was talking legislation. Number 2, 80% is an exaggeration. To the question 51. Approve of Dobbs Decision -Do you approve or disapprove of the Supreme Court’s ruling that there is no constitutional right to an abortion? Strongly approve 30%, somewhat approve 12% total approval 42%. Strongly disapprove 41%, somewhat disapprove 8% Total disapproval 49%.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/uhxw71f4tf/econTabReport.pdf

There’s other polls out there with different numbers for sure. Most will put the oppose numbers between 55-60%. I like YouGov as it doesn’t lump avid opposition or support with lukewarm or somewhat support which I call soft support or soft opposition. Soft opposition hasn’t affected the way they plan to vote in the midterms. It’s like, “I rather abortion be legal, but it doesn’t make my top 5 list of issues that determine how I’ll vote in November.” I’m always election focused. Regardless of how one feels about an issue, if that feeling or opposition to isn’t strong enough to change how they’ll vote in the upcoming election, then it doesn’t matter, it’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of our political world. Here’s the latest numbers for you to compare pre-overturning of ROE to post-overturning of ROE, today’s numbers. The vast number of avid opposition, strongly oppose comes from Democrats who are going to vote democratic anyway with some independents and a few Republicans. The most important issue for independents in determining their vote is the economy, inflation at 34%, abortion issue among indies is 4%

23 June 2022 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 44.3-41.5, Republican, 538 averages 44.8-42.5 Republican

2 July 2022 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 45.3-43.3, Republican, 538 averages 44.8-42.8 Republican

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/generic-ballot/

The President’s overall job performance numbers. Getting worse since the overturning of ROE.

23 June 2022 Biden’s overall job performance, 39.6% approve, 55.8% disapprove

2 July 2022 Biden’s overall job performance, 38.4% approve, 56.9% disapprove

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

Most important to the midterms is the number of competitive, switchable, at risk house seats and the senate’s pure tossup states beginning 23 June 2022 to see the effect of the overturning of ROE.

23 June – House 40 Democratic seats, 13 Republican seats fell into the at-risk category. A probable gain of 18-20 seats for the Republicans. Senate – 4 pure tossups, 3 democratic held seats, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, 1 Republican held seats, Wisconsin. 2 lean Democratic seats, Democratic held New Hampshire and Republican held Pennsylvania, 1 lean Republican seat, Republican held North Carolina. Probable net gain of 1 seat for the Democrats, Pennsylvania.

2 July – House 40 Democratic seats, 14 Republican seats fell into the at-risk category. A probable gain of 18-20 seats for the Republicans. Senate – 4 pure tossups, 3 democratic held seats, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, 1 Republican held seats, Wisconsin. 2 lean Democratic seats, Democratic held New Hampshire and Republican held Pennsylvania, 1 lean Republican seat, Republican held North Carolina. Probable net gain of 1 seat for the Democrats, Pennsylvania.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not any gigantic leap across the Grand Canyon. The trick in my opinion is to keep plugging away with little steps all the time, this keeps people in their comfort zone, and it keeps the people supporting you.

I submit that overturning Roe is just that, a gigantic leap across not just one but several "Grand Canyons", if Clarence Thomas' extended thoughts on the matter are to be taken into account:

Thomas wrote that the court “should reconsider” all three decisions, Griswold v. Connecticut, a 1965 decision that declared married couples had a right to contraception; Lawrence v. Texas, a 2003 case invalidating sodomy laws and making same-sex sexual activity legal across the country; and Obergefell v. Hodges, the 2015 case establishing the right of gay couples to marry.

In 1979, Iran was also something of a modern, industrialized, and maybe even somewhat secular nation.
But suddenly a religious revolution took place, the fundamentalists seized power at the barrel of a gun, just like our "friendly" insurrectionists attempted to do.
That’s how Iran became the Islamic Republic of Iran.

But you seem to think ONLY DEMOCRATS make rash decisions that go too far.
Your bias is showing.

deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: Greger
enthusiast
enthusiast
Biased I may be, going by the numbers biased. Again, I was talking legislation, not SCOTUS rulings. Exactly how many do you think this ruling took out of their comfort zone? My SWAG would be mostly Democrats who are going to vote democratic anyway. Now if this was done by a Republican controlled congress and signed into law by a Republican president, now that would change thing immensely.

Until the numbers start changing, I’m chalking this up as being already baked into equation. That over the last 50 years of ROE, those avid pro-choice has become Democrats and those avid pro-life became Republicans. That most independents just want the issue to go away, they’re tired of all the partisan wrangling over abortion. Remember, only 4% of independents think the abortion issue is a top issue to decide how’ll they vote. There’s a ton of other issues most independents deem much more important to them. At least as of today.

The bottom line is I let the numbers talk to me, let me know how America as a whole is thinking, feeling, wants. Not just one or the other party’s base. One could say, I live in a numbers cocoon. Not in a liberal or Democratic Party cocoon or a Conservative or Republican cocoon. Gallup lists the Democratic party strength or base at 27% of the electorate, the same as the Republican party’s strength or base with independents making up 43% of the rest of the electorate. When one is making election forecasts, one doesn’t have to take Republicans and or Democrats into consideration. One has to figure out how independents are going to vote, what issue is important to independents, what are they thinking, which way will they go. They decide elections, not Republicans nor do Democrats. Numbers tell me both major party’s base, members if you will are irrelevant. It’s independents that count. The two major parties cancel each other out.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Supreme Court decisions are a bitch because there's nothing anybody of either party can do to change them. There's nobody else to appeal to.

So in that regard, we're fecked. But when the SC shot down New York's gun laws New York answered by enacting laws to sidestep the decision.

Long before this conservative supreme court is gone we will see legislation crafted to get around them.

But you seem to think ONLY DEMOCRATS make rash decisions that go too far.

There's a pretty good reason why this always seems to be the case....

Reeps don't want new laws so they seldom write them. They like things just the way they are.

Dems are the party of change so they're always fielding solutions and trying to solve problems. This is what frightens folks.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
1 member likes this: perotista
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard