WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 85 86
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I assume you’re talking about Manchin. You should be thanking your lucky stars the Democrats have him. Without Manchin, Mitch McConnell would be majority leader with the GOP controlling the senate. Except for the bipartisan infrastructure bill, nothing on your list would have been accomplished.

As for independents, “it’s the economy stupid,” to use a phrase coined by James Carville. Bill Clinton political adviser. 37% of independents list inflation as their most important issue. Climate change is third at 9%. Abortion is way down the list at 4%. I see nothing on your list outside of climate change independents care about and that’s 28 points behind the economy. I agree with Greger, most independents don’t care who controls congress. The rule of thumb when it comes to how independents vote, generally anyway, is if their wallet is getting fatter, they vote for the party in power. If their wallet is thinning or flat, they’ll vote for the party out of power. It’s worked that way for a long time. For the most part, independents aren’t political junkies, if something don’t affect them, they don’t care. Everything on your list doesn’t affect independents as much as inflation and rising prices do. It’s quite simple really.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
“It’s the economy stupid” worked in the ‘90s. Today, voters are more sophisticated and understand nuance and that our country will cease to exist if the lying, election-stealing, rights taking, pro 1%-wealthy, democratic republic hating, Fascist Rightwing white Christian Nationalists gain control of our government again. Decent America-loving Americans understand this and will vote accordingly. smile

There is a 50/50 split not because of Manchin, but because the GOP lost two seats in a Georgia special election in 2021.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
...and speaking of lying, election-stealing GOP:

On Tuesday, court filings showed that prosecutors have notified 16 Republicans who participated in a plot to certify fake electoral college votes for Trump in Georgia that they’re now “targets” of the criminal probe.
- WaPo

Past voting performance does not predict future outcomes - especially if Donald Trump is involved. It's a whole new world. smile

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
In what is being called "a gift to prosecutors," The New York Times reported yesterday that previously unknown communications between staff on Donald Trump's campaign revealed the work outside advisers were doing to try and overturn the election.

In one email, an internal adviser, Jack Wilenchik, a Phoenix-based lawyer who helped organize the pro-Trump electors in Arizona, wrote in a Dec. 8, 2020, email to Boris Epshteyn, a strategic adviser for the Trump campaign. admitted that the "alternate slate of electors" were actually "fake electors."

***Boom***

There are over 50 current GOP Congresspeople in on the plot to steal the 2020 election from the American people. smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's less than four months until the November election. Investigations take time and no indictments have arisen from the J6 Committee yet.

I'm sure they will, and I expect Trump to be charged with dereliction of duty among other things. But time is not on the Democrats' side and any number of indictments is not liable to sway the way anybody votes.

In January investigations will commence against Hunter Biden's foreign ties to the petroleum industry, Joe Biden's retreat from Afghanistan, the baby formula fiasco, among others.

Indictments may arise out of those investigations too.

They will also not affect the way people vote.

The economy though... will affect the way people vote.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
“It’s the economy stupid” worked in the ‘90s. Today, voters are more sophisticated and understand nuance and that our country will ...

Six years ago those sophisticated, nuance-understanding voters elected Donald Trump.

They are poised to very possibly elect Ron DeSantis to be the next president.

Easily half of our elected officials are complete idiots and were elected by complete idiots.

That's the trouble with democracy. You have to let the idiots vote too.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
[quote]
That's the trouble with democracy. You have to let the idiots vote too.

Only the curated idiots approved by red state governments.
Other idiots that won't vote for Trump or any Republican find themselves facing significant hurdles to vote.

My former neighbor across the street in Mansfield Texas told Karen and I that the polling place for our old neighborhood is now twenty four miles South in Cleburne, the Johnson County seat. Meanwhile the rest of Mansfield that sits on the other side of TX 917 (near where 157 and US287 cross) still votes at Mansfield High School which is right in town.

Our former neighborhood is about 35% black and 30% hispanic, the rest of Mansfield is lily white and reliably Republican, and is situated firmly in Tarrant County while our little berg sits astride Tarrant and Johnson Counties.

We all used to vote at the high school the entire ten years we lived there.
Red State "democracy" is picking and choosing which idiots get to vote and how to make it harder for the less desirable idiots.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
... no indictments have arisen from the J6 Committee yet...
The Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, and 3-percenter leadership has been indicted. Steven Bannon has been indicted. Peter Navarro has been indicted.

Two hundred protesters have been tried and sentenced.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Six years ago those sophisticated, nuance-understanding voters elected Donald Trump.
I wasn't referring to those 74M. crazy They're beyond any hope.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
... no indictments have arisen from the J6 Committee yet...
The Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, and 3-percenter leadership has been indicted. Steven Bannon has been indicted. Peter Navarro has been indicted.

Two hundred protesters have been tried and sentenced.

As a result of the J6 Committee investigations? I was under the impression that most of those occurred before the Committee actually began investigating anything.

Navarro and Bannon weren't arrested over any charges relating to the riot, they were both arrested for refusing to testify.

Page 5 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard