WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#344172 08/09/22 06:28 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
This is a link to a pretty good article on insulin. I have really never understood who people just don't buy insulin from Canada or Mexico. I remember when the congress tried to make that against the law but, I think, its still legal to do. That is discussed in the article below. I also seem to remember when one state was going to setup a facility to make insulin as well (it went nowhere but was a good idea)

Anyway, there are all these people who can probably pay for insulin from Canada or Mexico. I remember when my wife needed a drug and she bought it in Canada because it was half of what the greedy pharms here were charging. Had no problems at all. In her situation she just took the ferry to Victoria, picked a drugstore and asked them what to do and set it up. they wanted a prescription and an address and that was that.

https://elemental.medium.com/biohackers-with-diabetes-are-making-their-own-insulin-edbfbea8386d

jgw #344175 08/09/22 08:17 PM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
This is a link to a pretty good article on insulin. I have really never understood who people just don't buy insulin from Canada or Mexico. I remember when the congress tried to make that against the law but, I think, its still legal to do. That is discussed in the article below. I also seem to remember when one state was going to setup a facility to make insulin as well (it went nowhere but was a good idea)

Anyway, there are all these people who can probably pay for insulin from Canada or Mexico. I remember when my wife needed a drug and she bought it in Canada because it was half of what the greedy pharms here were charging. Had no problems at all. In her situation she just took the ferry to Victoria, picked a drugstore and asked them what to do and set it up. they wanted a prescription and an address and that was that.

https://elemental.medium.com/biohackers-with-diabetes-are-making-their-own-insulin-edbfbea8386d

I'm assuming that you heard that California is about to start making its own insulins and I think it's an excellent idea for any large state to do this for their residents. I doubt Florida or Texas will lift a finger but New York, Illinois, Minnesota, even Colorado could take advantage of an operation like this.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: pdx rick
jgw #344183 08/09/22 10:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The movie Purple Hearts, the number one on Netflix, is about a young woman who is a Type I diabetic who has to marry a marine just to get insulin. Great movie by the way. I think this could affect a lot of attitudes about insulin coverage.

Interesting side note: While the female lead is not a diabetic in real life, both the actress playing her friend's fiancé and the doctor showing her how to use an insulin pump are. That doctor is an expert on it and was the technical advisor for the production.

Another interesting side note: Sofia Carson, the female lead, actually co-wrote and sang her own songs in the movie.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
jgw #344211 08/10/22 07:40 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I would have thought, given the number of folks gifted with diabetes, that somebody would have put a group together to make insulin a long time ago. (I know, some are trying but gov makes that a lot more complex than it needs to be) A state doing it would make a lot of sense as well. I don't have diabetes but the insulin thing just offends. The guy who created it gave his discovery away for a dollar so it could be supplied for little. Charging hundreds for something that can be made for LOT less is not only greedy but mean spirited. Insulin is just the beginning of how our pharm folks prove their incredible greed. It does the same for those in congress which support them.

There is so much wrong with our government, on an ongoing and very public way, yet the voting public, apparently, are not even vaguely troubled or they would do something. Sometimes I think that they really have no idea that they could actually do something if they wanted to. I suspect that a good start would be to make voting mandatory. I have been told by many who don't that "Its my right to not vote!" and everytime I do, I get angry. Actually all these people, with all their supposed rights sometimes gets to be too much. Just because you can do something doesn't mean its a right, it often just means nobody gives a damn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

jgw #344221 08/11/22 04:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
I have been told by many who don't that "Its my right to not vote!" and everytime I do, I get angry.

Well, after all, not voting is STILL voting.
Ask Paul Weyrich about that.

But just the fact that some NON-voters are the biggest, loudest, angriest, most vindictive whiners on the face of the Earth, that chaps my ass pretty good.

Know what else burns my ass?
A flame about two feet high! LOL

deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
jgw #344232 08/11/22 04:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would have thought, given the number of folks gifted with diabetes, that somebody would have put a group together to make insulin a long time ago

You woulda thought, given the number of people who drive cars that somebody would put together a group to build cars...and give them to people who can't afford them.

Did you think people made sh*t for free? Or just to give it away? Do farmers grow crops just to give them away? Because lots of people need food to survive? And if you don't give it to them they'll have to get a job that insures they can afford food.

the voting public, apparently, are not even vaguely troubled or they would do something.

And what is it they would do? Elect the right people next time...? And how will they know...?

If they're too stupid to manage their own healthcare needs.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #344233 08/11/22 07:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
I would have thought, given the number of folks gifted with diabetes, that somebody would have put a group together to make insulin a long time ago

You woulda thought, given the number of people who drive cars that somebody would put together a group to build cars...and give them to people who can't afford them.

Did you think people made sh*t for free? Or just to give it away? Do farmers grow crops just to give them away? Because lots of people need food to survive? And if you don't give it to them they'll have to get a job that insures they can afford food.

the voting public, apparently, are not even vaguely troubled or they would do something.

And what is it they would do? Elect the right people next time...? And how will they know...?

Wow..just wow.

deepfreezefilms.com
Greger #344236 08/11/22 07:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger

Was THIS young man simply "too stupid to manage his own healthcare needs?"

Family says 21-year-old son died rationing insulin

deepfreezefilms.com
jgw #344257 08/12/22 05:57 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
How strange. I post a source wherein a bunch of folks have been getting together to build up a source for insulin. Then there are a bunch of replies to don't believe that can happen. Here it is again!

Jeffery J. Haas #344261 08/12/22 10:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Was THIS young man simply "too stupid to manage his own healthcare needs?"
Either he or his family were apparently too stupid to manage his healthcare needs or he'd be alive today. It's not hard to get your hands on insulin, he was young enough to still be on his parent's insurance, a plea on Facebook would get you more insulin than you could use...everybody with common sense has plenty on hand and can spare some...the insulin manufacturers have programs that will get you cheap or free insulin...my pharmacist would GIVE me insulin if there was a temporary loss of coverage.

One way or another the kid did something stupid. Yes.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard