WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 86 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 85 86
enthusiast
enthusiast
seems things have been worked out.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden said Thursday that a tentative railway labor agreement has been reached, averting a strike that could have been devastating to the economy before the pivotal midterm elections.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-tight-spot-union-backer-041712111.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews

I don't think many understand the independent's mindset of always blaming the party in power for things that go wrong. It doesn't matter which party, just blame the one in charge. They've always been this way and I suppose will always be.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
seems things have been worked out.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden said Thursday that a tentative railway labor agreement has been reached, averting a strike that could have been devastating to the economy before the pivotal midterm elections.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-tight-spot-union-backer-041712111.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews

I don't think many understand the independent's mindset of always blaming the party in power for things that go wrong. It doesn't matter which party, just blame the one in charge. They've always been this way and I suppose will always be.

Poor MAGA world, they were hoping that the railroad strike could be their October Surprise.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If unions bring the nation and the economy to its knees then yes, folks are going to vote against unions.

Which party is pro-union? Democrats.

But I expect the rail strike to be short-lived and some highly paid RR workers will become even more highly paid and coddled.

Pero, My understanding is that Dobbs struck down Roe because Roe said abortion was an unenumerated right. Dobbs says it's not a constitutional right. The argument is probably legally and constitutionally sound.

The ball is in the liberal's court now and it's up to them to provide an argument to the contrary. there are many many unenumerated rights that fall under this or that clause.

I'm okay with states having a choice. Some will make the wrong choice for now but I expect that slowly most states will lose enough legal battles and elections that they will come around to a more equitable arrangement.

Men and governments tend to meddle in a lot of places they shouldn't.

Can the federal government legislate access to abortion?

I don't know...seems to me they could, just as they could enact a national ban or national restrictions... The door swings both ways.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
1 member likes this: perotista
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think avoiding the strike may be a bigger boon than many people think. It shows Biden being successful. Hopefully the upswing will be soon enough and strong enough to affect the midterms.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I mentioned elsewhere that the strike would be short-lived...all credit goes to Biden for using his union clout to help settle the labor dispute.

The price of gasoline has fallen but natural gas is on the rise...the cheap plentiful fuel that we bet our future on is a hostage of Russia along with the world economy.

But I don't think that nut will fall off the tree until after midterms when the cold winds blow and so do the power bills.

Might actually be a boon to renewable energy sources.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
If unions bring the nation and the economy to its knees then yes, folks are going to vote against unions.

Which party is pro-union? Democrats.

U.S. Approval of Labor Unions at Highest Point Since 1965

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree Greger. Slowly legal abortion will work it way back in the vast majority of states.

Unions or union households went to Biden 56-40 making up 20% of those who voted. Non-union household barely went to Biden in 2020 50-49. The union vote was big.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/exit-polls/president/national-results

But Obama won59% of the union households in 2008, 62% of union households in 2012, Clinton 51% in 2016, Biden 56% in 2020.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here’s another reason that the Republicans will probably regain control of the house.

Uncontested: The 36 House Districts With Only One Major Party on the Ballot

https://www.270towin.com/news/2022/...th-only-one-major-party-ballot_1419.html

Those 36 house seats with no opposition are part of safe seats for both parties. A total of 376 out of the 435 house seats are basically guaranteed for the party that now holds them to keep them. Safe seats, 178 Democratic, 198 Republican. You might as well not hold any election in those 376 districts as the outcome is well known in advance. We do have now 59 competitive seats to be determine by vote. This 59 is above the normal average for competitive seats. The historical average is 51, but if you deleted the 4 wave elections of 1994, 2010, 2006 and 2018, the normal average for any house election for competitive seats is 41. Think about that, in an average house election there are only 41 districts where your vote counts in determining who wins that district. The other 394 are just going through the motion of voting in a pre-determined outcome.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The other 394 are just going through the motion of voting in a pre-determined outcome.

Kind of represents an overall satisfaction(with some reservations) in the way things are going.

I picked up that "best Dems can hope for" phrase At the Times or maybe the Atlantic weeks ago...

Someone had crunched the numbers and that was literally the best Dems could hope for.

Dems should be dancing in the streets if the numbers come in as I say...Reeps will have a 10-seat advantage in the House. a majority as thin as Occam's razor!

The model I've got running shows them being noisy and obstreperous but ineffective. An unwelcome distraction and a reminder of why we all hated Trump and his thuggish supporters. All of whom are about to find themselves to be roadkill on the highway of history.

Like supporters of other "Lost Causes", they'll more and more be finding themselves on the wrong side of history.

Have you talked to any climate change deniers lately? They're coming down as fast as confederate statues. Where did the TEA Party go...?

And as I mentioned above, abortion deniers will also begin to fall as medical science and jurisprudence clash with religious indoctrination.

From my viewpoint, Democrats appear to be ticking along nicely and playing the opposition like a fiddle.

But there's only so much you can reasonably hope for in an election.

Page 34 of 86 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard