It's difficult to focus on this as a "horse race" when one team of horses has the dismantling of Western democracy as its singular goal.

I reckon once you've convinced yourself that half of America is your sworn enemy out to destroy your way of life, it's hard to focus on much of anything.

The other party has that kind of tunnel vision too.

Still and yet...this upcoming election is an election...it's one of the things that sets democracies apart from non-democracies...we vote on things.

I imagine the election will pretty much go off without a hitch and the rightful winners will be announced.

And I imagine that the rightful winners, regardless of party, will NOT set about dismantling Western democracy.

And that two years hence...another election will be held! Which will go off pretty much without a hitch and the rightful winners will be announced.

And I imagine that the rightful winners, regardless of party, will NOT set about dismantling Western democracy.

I expect to see this pattern continue. And no amount of histrionics is liable to convince me otherwise. We will see legislation we disagree with, and policies we abhor. People elected who shouldn't be elected...and a myriad of awful things.

But we will continue to see fair elections every two years that somewhat reflect the will of the nation. Whether we agree with the will of the nation or not...That too is a part of democracy.

This is just another horse race in a long history of horse races. It's not the restaurant at the end of the universe and this isn't our final meal.

And I think we know exactly how it's going to turn out, so it's not just another horserace, it's a kind of a boring one...but we have to get it behind us before we can begin to focus on 2024.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...