WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 86 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 85 86
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Primary voters don't really think beyond the primaries.

That's how we got De Santis. 2018 was a blue wave year. Florida Dems chose a progressive Black mayor over the more centrist daughter of a former governor...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
1 member likes this: perotista
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
To me, that implies Florida Democrats just wanted to make a statement, not win an election. Of course, I’m a swing voter who thinks it’s stupid not to nominate someone who has a decent chance of winning in the general. I’m used to the Republicans doing this, making a statement, not so much with the Democrats. That may be changing a progressive become a larger segment of the Democratic party ousting more of the moderates. I don’t think the blue dog democrats still exist. If so, there may be a handful.

Perhaps we need a new way of choosing candidates. Maybe Alaska has something going for them that the rest of the states should look at. I always been a fan of the jungle primary, we use that in Georgia for special elections, then a runoff between the top two finishers if no one receives 50% plus one vote.

Last edited by perotista; 09/20/22 08:29 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
To me, that implies Florida Democrats just wanted to make a statement, not win an election.
The 2018 Florida Governor results do not support your thinking.

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anti-Trump progressives were on a roll...

It was a blue wave election where Dems could do no wrong.

Gillum was already under investigation for corruption.

Bob Graham's daughter woulda beat DeSantis' ass.

I wasn't really much aware of the primaries because I'm not allowed to vote in them.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I remember 2018, that was a blue wave election where the Democrats gained 44 house seats. A huge anti-Trump vote that year. Democratic candidates received 53.4% of the vote vs. 44.8% for the Republicans.

That’s what great about Georgia. We only register to vote. No party registration. So we can choose which primaries to vote in. The only stipulation is if there’s a runoff, we must vote in the runoff of the party we originally voted in their primary. No crossing over to vote in the other party’s primary runoff.

I’ve flipped back and forth between Democratic and Republican primaries so many times over the years, that neither party knows what to think of me. I get campaign propaganda mail from both parties. A whole lot of it. I just rip them up and throw them in the trash. Both parties are wasting a lot of mail expense on me. Outside of the Braves games, I don’t watch live TV either. So, all the money the two major parties spend on negative TV propaganda political ads is also wasted on me. I stream the shows and channels I watch. I get the History Vault, Discovery plus, Amazon Prime and the like. No commercials, no propaganda. YouTube is also nice for movies and shows with no commercials. I watch my TV, shows on my laptop with an extra big monitor. I can’t remember when I last turned on our TV.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I remember 2018, that was a blue wave election where the Democrats gained 44 house seats. A huge anti-Trump vote that year. Democratic candidates received 53.4% of the vote vs. 44.8% for the Republicans.

If Democratic primary voters had given it much thought they woulda passed over the black dude.

We coulda been a blue state, Instead, we got De Santis. And we owe this to overzealous primary voters who would rather make a statement than win an elecction.

1 member likes this: perotista
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
You seen some of that in 2020 also. There were 3 House incumbent pro-life Democrats that were defeated in their democratic primaries by pro-choice democrats in swing or slightly red districts. All 3 pro-choice Democratic candidates lost in the general. I’m positive had the Democrats stuck with those 3 pro-life incumbent democrats, they would have won. Those 3 lost seats were part of the 13 seats the Republican Party gained in 2020.

If the goal is winning elections, general elections that is. The democrats shot themselves in the foot in order to make a statement. Instead of having a 225-210 majority, the democrats have a 222-213 majority. Instead of the Republicans needing a net gain of 5 seats to retake control of the house, the GOP would have needed 8. Those three lost seats in order to make a statement may cost the Democrats control of the house.

Being a non-partisan, I never saw the need to make a statement. I focused on having the candidates with the best chances of winning in November. Even if those candidates are Manchin’s and Sinema’s. Every democrat elected counts as to who controls what. Without Manchin and Sinema, the senate would be controlled by Republicans.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
The election reform bill which overhauls the arcane 1800s-era statute known as the Electoral Count Act that governs, along with the U.S. Constitution, how states and Congress certify electors and declare presidential election winners has passed the house. You also have at least 10 Republicans senators in favor of the senate version.

From the article: While the House bill is more expansive than the Senate version, the two bills cover similar ground and members in both chambers are optimistic that they can work out the differences. And despite the mostly party-line vote in the House, supporters are encouraged by the bipartisan effort in the Senate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-vote-election-law-overhaul-040352527.html

This bill could be signed into law prior to the midterms if all goes right.

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This bill could be signed into law prior to the midterms if all goes right.

Tiny steps, decades late. It's how we roll.

Primaries are partisan affairs carried out by partisans to forward the goals of the party.

As a non-partisan, I kind of take exception to the whole affair. It's Locke vs Hobbes, Hamilton vs Jefferson down through the ages...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Page 36 of 86 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard